Dt Ex5.1d- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dt Ex5.1d

Addicted
    May 2006

Dt Ex5.1d

How are the DT EX5.1D rims holding up for those of you who are running them on your DH/FR bikes?

I'm building a new race bike and trying to keep the rotational weight to a minimum. They look like a good canidate. The will be hand laced by myself(UBI and DT Swiss Cert. wheel builder) so I'll know they were built well and properly/evenly tensioned. Having a truing stand sitting next to me at the shop everyday will keep them easy to maintain.

Any thought?

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Only had them a month on my DH but almost a year on my All-mountain rig.So far so good. Im 185 but im easy on rims so no complaints. And I do notice the less weight.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    200 lb with gear, love them. Multiple pinch flats through the rock gardens at Downieville, multiple times I could have sworm I flat spotted, nothing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My 5.1's are fine. I've broken two spokes on the front and had to get it trued but no flat spots.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Sounds like I ought to be pretty well off then. I'm sitting at 160lbs with all my gear and a well supplied camelback(yes I practice while wearing a camelback).

I think stiffness wise I should be ok with the 150mm rear hub adding some triangulation to the spokes. That and I'm usually smooth...except when I'm not.

Thanks guys.

-Kevin

Roll on Spring Time!
    considering the 5.1's myself. not happy with my mavic 325 up front, halo freedom out back is ok but sidewalls dent easyish. i think the 5.1's are light for their reputed strength. i am also looking at the ztr freerides, 545g. interested in more feedback.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    considering the 5.1's myself. not happy with my mavic 325 up front, halo freedom out back is ok but sidewalls dent easyish. i think the 5.1's are light for their reputed strength. i am also looking at the ztr freerides, 545g. interested in more feedback.
    Your freedoms dent easily? I've been riding mine on double butted spokes to 440 hubs for about a year and a half and never had a problem with denting, flatspotting or knocking them out of true.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    i've been running EX721's and was thinking of moving to the 5.1's to save a bit more weight but keep the strength, not sure if I am going to get much advantage from the switch though..

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by colb
    i've been running EX721's and was thinking of moving to the 5.1's to save a bit more weight but keep the strength, not sure if I am going to get much advantage from the switch though..
    Nah keep the 721's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Nah keep the 721's
    that's what i'm leaning to

Members who have read this thread: 0