DT 5.1d rims - experiences?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DT 5.1d rims - experiences?

Anyone here use the DT Swiss 5.1d rims?

I rode a demo bike that had 'em - the bike was beat up / had obviously been abused, but the rims still looked really good! I was surprised.

So the 5.1d may be in the XM321 / EX721 / Singletrack shootout for my next rims. Any experiences?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the 4.1d's and they're the most perfectly round rims I've ever built. They can take some crazy high spoke tension also and I didn't have to debur any of the eyelets. If the 5's are anything like the 4's, they're great. I know the product is different but I thought this may help

banned
    Been using mine for a few weeks now and they took some bad shots from rocks with low inflation. Messed the surface of the sidewall up, pinchflatted, but still round. I dig 'em. Nice and stiff with an oddsandendos.com build.

-> SickLines.com <-
    DT's build up very smoothly from my experience. Where they suck is that they are "like butter" when it comes to hitting rockgardens/drops etc with them. From what i've heard the rims are very soft and very susceptible to becoming dinged/dented easily.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Mixed bag

Yeah, I don't know quite what to think of them. Chuky has some of the XC rims on her little bike, and they have been fantastic. Other people have good things to say about the 5.1, also. My experience with the FR 6.1 has been really bad, though. They dent like a MOFO, it's almost funny, if I wasn't watching my expensive rims completely self-distruct.

DT has a long history of making kickass stuff, though, so maybe my rims are just from a bad batch. Others have had the same problems, though, so beware.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    From what i've heard the rims are very soft and very susceptible to becoming dinged/dented easily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure the 5.1's are good. The 6.1's suck. But the 5.1's (again, from what I've read) are much better and don't get dinged up as easily as the 6.1's. I'd definitely get them over the other rims you have listed.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Other people have good things to say about the 5.1........................ My experience with the FR 6.1 has been really bad, though. They dent like a MOFO, it's almost funny, if I wasn't watching my expensive rims completely self-distruct......................
    JMH

Yes and yes.
    I've kicked the shat out of my 5.1's and they've been great. No dents, dings or otherwise.

The 6.1's on the other hand....................2 runs @ Whistler totally squished the sidewall on one. Even with the tire pressure at 32 psi in DH a casing tire.

I'd buy the 5.1's again but not the 6.1's.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

banned
    Thank god. I was hearing about the soft 6.1's after I received my 5.1's, but it seems they got a bad batch. Perhaps that batch is huge. All I know from my experience is that I should have flat spotted my rim. It fared well.

mtbr member

Cool thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Yes and yes.
    I've kicked the shat out of my 5.1's and they've been great. No dents, dings or otherwise.

The 6.1's on the other hand....................2 runs @ Whistler totally squished the sidewall on one. Even with the tire pressure at 32 psi in DH a casing tire.

I'd buy the 5.1's again but not the 6.1's.
    Yeah, knowing the 6.1's history I had written off any DT Swiss rim. But examining the condition of the 5.1's on the demo bike, and considering how thrashed it was, I figured I'd ask around.

This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 5.1d rims are killer. I run them on my uphill bike, replaced some d321s (my favorite downhill rim). Bomber rims. Several hard-charging friends run them, and they all love them. Easiest wheels I've ever built, the rims are so round and true.

I have owned the ex321s and Singletracks, neither one was anywhere near the quality and durability of the 5.1d.

I haven't tried the 6.1 rims, but most of the ones I've seen at Whistler have big rock dents in the rear rim.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    6.1's are butter 5.1's are harder...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    6.1's are butter 5.1's are harder...
    got a set of the NEW 6.1s a couple weeks ago. look much more promising, trial run is this weekend. will have to see. (fingers crossed)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Horrible!

They seem to be made from extremely soft metal. Two sets here have extreme flat spots all the way around. We use all different brands and models of rims and these just don't hold up. The 440 hubs have terrible drag front and rear and I don't like the lack of number of engagement points. This is just from our experience with DT wheels compared to Sun, Mavic, Saint, WTB and Atom Lab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    got a set of the NEW 6.1s a couple weeks ago. look much more promising, trial run is this weekend. will have to see. (fingers crossed)
    hey travis wanna take a run?

-will
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    32 whole lbs huh? wow, im shocked you squished the rim..

btw, what happpend to my eye rolling smiley... doh..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah, I hear that they have resolved some production and material problems.
    just got mine - one didnt make it thru shipping - but nothing withstands a forklift rolling over it, right?

1 bike to ride them all

5.1's questionable

Hey,

How did the DH go with the boys in Rado? Hope the set-up worked out o.k..

Regarding the EX5.1D's: As you, I am looking for that elusive light yet strong rim that has enough width to run XC or DH tires. Earlier this year I laced-up a set of EX 5.1D's to King ISO hubs (using DT's tubless kit). I orginally ran them with some Maxxis DH rubber to see how stout they were. The short answer to your question is that they now reside on Jen's bike.

Don't get me wrong they were of much higher quality manufacturing than any of the other rims in their category and the they 'built-up' super light and sweet. But, where the rubber met the trail they did not hold-up as well as Mavic or Sun. After a week I was truing more than riding. Alas, I'm again riding my trusty Sun Singletracks.

For my money the Singletracks are a no-brainer. Only 80-90 grams heavier, twice as strong, and way less $... When pushing it you want to focus on the flow... not how much $/life you just thrashed out of your wheels on the last hit.

I had a similar experience with Stans ZTR freeride rims last year. Same result.

DC

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    hey travis wanna take a run?

-will
    sure, I'll be at Mtn Creek for the race on both Sat and Sun. RtN course this weekend!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    try dt 540 rim cheaper and from what i have seen for the moment harder

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Mine have dents. but i've busted a spoke out and it still ran true, i'd still rather have a set of mavic 721s on my I9's though.

I rot before I ripen
    I been rolling Mavic 729s on my dh bikes with no problems. But for a new Blitz build, I bought some DT Swiss FR 6.10s. I was looking for something strong and a bit lighter.

But with a Hadley 135mm thru-axle, the FR 6.10 wheel weighs the same as my 729 with a 150mm Hadley!

And the DT Swiss rim is not nearly as wide.

We'll see how it goes.

[Edit: I just finished building the FR front wheel. Easiest, best-trued wheel I've ever built.]

damon
    Last edited by levee67; 08-27-2006 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIANBACON
    Hey,

How did the DH go with the boys in Rado? Hope the set-up worked out o.k..DC
    Hey DC! Took me a minute to figure out this is you.

CO was great! The DH was not really a DH, per se. The combination of trails we did had a net drop of a few thousand feet, but other than the big drop @ very begining, it was rolling terrain for 28 miles - long shallow ups followed by long steeper downs, never ending... It was great!

We did find some steep, loose, fast and super fun no-brakes stuff later in the trip.

The bike is dialed. I'm lovin it! Hit Damfino twice since we've been back, BA, bunch of local stuff... Lovin it! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    How did the new versions of the 6.1FR go? Do they weigh any more than the older version?

Members who have read this thread: 0