Droppy seatpost in a Devninci Wilson Carbon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Droppy seatpost in a Devninci Wilson Carbon?

I am considering one of these, but only if I can ride it up hills (sometimes) as well.
    So, aside from debating my sanity, can a dropper post fit a Wilson?

I guess the important thing is how far inside a size large frame can a droppy post be fitted?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't do it. Just make sure you use a quick release seat clamp and adjust your seat post whenever you're gonna climb.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    Don't do it.
    Why not? Judging by pics (I don't have one), there is not enough seat tube to use a regular post, anyway.

That seat angle looks waaay slack to be trying to climb with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If the seat angle is to far back anyway, it won't change with a dropper.

Honestly. Putting a dropper on a Wilson would be gayer than a three dollar bill.

If you're so concerned about being able to pedal... Go get a great 6-7" all Mtn bike and crush it. Enjoy that bike and all it offers, and then get the DH bike when you've got it out of your system.

The seat tube on the Devinci should house enough seat post for the occasional pedal. But it isn't built to climb.

mtbr member
    Agreed with the above posts. The Wilson is super good, but it's not a climbing bike, and was not designed to climb. The fact that it pedals reasonably well (for a DH bike) was done with sprints during DH races in mind, not full uphills. It still sucks badly for climbing, even with a tall seatpost. You will sit too far back over the rear wheel to keep the front end down on anything close to a steep climb. It's a great bike, but only for going down.

If you are dead set on getting a DH type bike but need it to be able to climb, get a Canfield One. I fully admit my bias, because I own one, and it's been the best overall bike I've owned. 8" of super smooth travel, it can handle both single or dual crown forks without voiding warranties, can take a full length dropper post (hooray for uninterrupted seat tubes!!), descends like a full DH beast, and was designed to climb like a light AM bike. It's the only bike I know of that can cover that range of riding. Others claim other bikes to be the holy grail pedal-able DH bike, but nothing I've ever seen pedals like this. It's an incredible bike, and the company has legendary customer service.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

RideDirt
    If your considering to ride a DH bike up things then dont consider a DH bike , got with something towards an aggressive all mountain bike or light FR bike .. Im not saying it cant be done but it will really suck and you will hate the bike since its not being used as it should be to really feel its capabilities . Good luck

Huffy Rider
    If you have to pedal up to go down, Canfield The One.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you want to stay with Devinci, get a Dixon. The Dixon wouldn't disappoint on the DH and climbs like HT.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you want a dropper on your Wilson go for it, it will fit just fine. You can even run a Stealth dropper.

I'll be running a Reverb Stealth on my Wilson for the Red Bull Final Descent at Winter Park.

bike rider
    I have a dropper that I put on my V10 when I want to pedal up to something. It's only practical when using a 34 or 36T ring though. My standard DH gearing 38/11-28 is too tall for trail riding so during the season the dropper post doesn't see use.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the sensible and useful reply.

Obviously riding a DH bike uphill is not ideal, but riding one uphill with the saddle in the right place to climb, and ripping down hill with the saddle in the right place to descend is an interesting compromise when uplifts are not around and when walking or climbing standing is a waste of energy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good point, however I would be using a wider casette than 11-28 so thats all good :-)

mtbr member
    Riding up hills. A V10 with a 34T ring and only a 28 in the back. What??!!!

Ok, I must say this. That guy wither walks/pushes a lot, or he lives in Kansas, or he is Lance Armstrong's EPO-infused quadricep with a lung attached. Not trying to insult, but I don't know of anybody (local pros included) who could push that kind of gearing up the trails here in Utah for more than a few minutes.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

bike rider
    Well I am a pro DH and XC racer. Obviously there's places that are too steep for that gearing but not many. In trail spec the V10 weighs 29lb. I'm never riding it uphill for more than 30 minutes so I can push hard for that long.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer View Post
    Good point, however I would be using a wider casette than 11-28 so thats all good :-)
    I'm using a ks lev in an xl v10.4 will 11x36 cassette and hammerschmidt 24/38 front.

I make a lot of use of the low gears when doing steep climbs.

The bike is 38.5 pounds with a marz. 66 (1.5 taper 1.125 steer tube. )

I'm not super fit, and run out of climbing strength after about 10 miles, but within that limitation, feel the dropper post is worth the weight and added complexity to the bike for the climbing benefit.

It was fairly close to the limits in terms of the post inserting past the manufacturers minimum dimension.

If you try out the dropper post, I hope it works out for you.