Drop/Jump Measured- Mtbr.com
    Boneyard Boner
    Mar 2007

Drop/Jump Measured

Is a drop or jump measured from the top straight down to the bottom of the base of the jump or transition......Or is it measured at the landing staight up to the horizontal line with the top of the jump. ( I'm shhhure Drakan will ressshhhpond here shhhon shaying to ushhhe the Pythagorean Theorem...but you get it)...

A 4 foot drop in someones opinion could be anothers 8 foot drop..
    Pain is Temporary, Pride lasts forever.
    Its better to regret something you did, rather than regret something you didn't do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Top of the jump to the earliest possible point you land on the transition...not the bottom.

mtbr member
    i think this is silly, but...

drop: measure from where you 'drop' from, until the start of the landing.
    jump: (assuming it's not a stepdown/up), measure from the far lip of the takeoff to the beginning lip of the landing. this would be the same as measuring the gap from the takeoff to the landing.

i hope that makes sense.

Glad to Be Alive
    both guys with correct answers.....I hate seeing a guy jump a one foot kicker and land 20 feet down and call it 20 feet drop/jump
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Boneyard Boner
    Mar 2007
    sweet thanks..
    Pain is Temporary, Pride lasts forever.
    Its better to regret something you did, rather than regret something you didn't do.

Disco-Superfly
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Riding with...
    mtbr is the new pinkbike so you cant really hate on it anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    mtbr is the new pinkbike so you cant really hate on it anymore
    Pinkbike is the new MTBR, so change that dead sailor avy you gots.

long standing member
    People arguing about how to measure a drop and what a drop actually measures are two different things. Nobody here is going to agree with this, but a drop is your change in elevation (using your body's center of mass as the reference point). You start at X number of feet above sea level and you land at Y number of feet above sea level. X minus Y = the drop height. How steep the transition is, how high your tires are off the ground, whether there is a boulder infested gap between the takeoff and landing point...these things do not change how far you've dropped. Do they effect how easy or difficult the drop is? How much skill you need to do the drop? How hard the landing impact is gonna be? Whether you're gonna be willing to man up and actually do the drop? Definitely. But not how far you've dropped.

Actually taking this measurement would be difficult, but it probably could be done somehow using GPS.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 07-07-2007 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Take-off point to the top of the tranny is the drop

Me hates pinchflat
    (diameter of your wheels + travel of your legs + bike suspension ) - (height of the drop - the distance from jupiter to mars divided by 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Is that the point where you start falling due to gravity?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Members who have read this thread: 0