The Drift!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: The Drift!!

  1. #1
    i drink shower water
    Reputation: hab1b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,189

    The Drift!!

    I have been trying to learn to drift for a few weeks now... i am trying to get into drifts where i dont have to touch the rear brake. i have been carrying a lot of speed into the turns i just cant get it.

    for those of you that can do them help me out. lets start from the begining to make sure im not missing something. thanks..
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    I have been trying to learn to drift for a few weeks now... i am trying to get into drifts where i dont have to touch the rear brake. i have been carrying a lot of speed into the turns i just cant get it.

    for those of you that can do them help me out. lets start from the begining to make sure im not missing something. thanks..
    Go faster.

    There isn't really an advantage to drifting if you can get around the same turn at the same speed. I mean, theres no added incentive to sliding around when you could go around the turn planted. I would think just go faster and you will eventually start drifting, when you are carrying crazy speed into turns.

  3. #3
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    I found it was easier to learn them on fast sections of more XC type trails, especially on long, flat turns with a fairly mellow angle. You have to find that balance point where you can hold the arc without making corrections, that's usually where things get ugly.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    It really all comes down to foot pressure and pedal placement. In order to rail a corner you need to have outside foot pressure to evenly weight the suspension and tires and to set the knobs into the ground. when you drop your outside foot it frees up your inside foot and knee, which you should point toward the apex of the turn. This will allow you to fall into the turn, aka, drifting. The idea is to fall in around your inside knee, which should be pointed towards the apex. Experiment with what amount outside foot dipping and front-rear weighting works best for you and makes you feel the most confident and stable.


    practice practice practice

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    52
    Dirtbike riders drift by getting the weight up front and charging into the turn. Seems like a bike would be the same. I've never tried it though. Worse that cold happen is the front could wash out and you could wreck bad.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I found it was easier to learn them on fast sections of more XC type trails, especially on long, flat turns with a fairly mellow angle. You have to find that balance point where you can hold the arc without making corrections, that's usually where things get ugly.
    Yeah thats actually where I have done most of my X-TREME drifts, but on a more 4x ish bike with higher PSI and stiffer suspension...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Go faster.

    There isn't really an advantage to drifting if you can get around the same turn at the same speed. I mean, theres no added incentive to sliding around when you could go around the turn planted. I would think just go faster and you will eventually start drifting, when you are carrying crazy speed into turns.
    I'm not sure he's actually talking about Tokyo drift sliding through the turns, that would just be dumb, instead i think hes referring to "falling into" the turn around his inner knee.

    Although it really depends on the course and turn, usually a racer who can push really hard through a berm and "fall in" around his knee will be faster than one who just passively rides the berm.

  8. #8
    = dirt torpedo =
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,210
    try 2 things.. take your inside foot of the pedal and extend it towards the front axle, then start countersteering, that is a sure way to start your drift.

    Get that "feeling" down, and practice initiating the drift without taking your foot off the pedal.

    Now. Where's Gordon?!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    I'm not sure he's actually talking about Tokyo drift sliding through the turns, that would just be dumb, instead i think hes referring to "falling into" the turn around his inner knee.

    Although it really depends on the course and turn, usually a racer who can push really hard through a berm and "fall in" around his knee will be faster than one who just passively rides the berm.
    I have no idea what a Tokyo Drift is. I was talking about Sam Hill type stuffish.

    I was just trying to say that unless you are going real fast, I don't think you should purposely try to drift. I think it will come when you start going faster and naturally need to compensate. IDK though.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    here is an amazing video clip i just filmed. top notch filming and riding.
    haha not really but i just felt like filming myself and then posting it on the internet. definitely not super sick. just me doing a jump in my yard and riding around a corner.


    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPcehY9zDBk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPcehY9zDBk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    per gordons directions:

    find some loose gravel or something to practice on.get a bit of speed, dont turn your bars but lean the bike over to say a 45 deg angle. get your weight forward and scoop your rear foot out, pushing the rear of the bike. heres a little teaser. check the last minute or so
    NM cant find the vid. look up MTB fundamentals theres a couple sectionds with drifting techniques
    Last edited by trailripper; 09-10-2007 at 07:43 PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    I have no idea what a Tokyo Drift is. I was talking about Sam Hill type stuffish.

    I was just trying to say that unless you are going real fast, I don't think you should purposely try to drift. I think it will come when you start going faster and naturally need to compensate. IDK though.
    Haha, Tokyo drift was a cheesy ass Fast and the Furious movie that is based on a bunch of retards who drive their honda civics really fast and skid all over the place.

  13. #13
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    Aw man, that was cinematic GOLD!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Aw man, that was cinematic GOLD!!
    Yes I know.

    Incase you didn't read the caption, it was reviewed by Go Big or Go Home Magazine:

    "Extreme speed combined with extremely large jumps make this one of the most exciting, well produced mountain bike videos within the last ten years..." (Go Big or Go Home Magazine)

    Pretty sweet to get that kind of recognition for a garage movie.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    23
    go as fast as possible into the turn with your feet about level, or outside foot a little down, and take the apex of it, and no matter what, down let yourself steer towards the outside of the turn. This way you will either stay hooked up and go really fast, or you will start to drift.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paranoid56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    152

  17. #17
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    per gordons directions:

    find some loose gravel or something to practice on.get a bit of speed, dont turn your bars but lean the bike over to say a 45 deg angle. get your weight forward and scoop your rear foot out, pushing the rear of the bike. heres a little teaser. check the last minute or so
    NM cant find the vid. look up MTB fundamentals theres a couple sectionds with drifting techniques
    Basically that - learn cutties. Try to keep your weight somewhat centered so you don't become dependent on a really radical weight shift on the trail to pull it off. Start off keeping your feet level so you can use your inside (not rear) foot to push the rear wheel out sideways.

    To actually get through the corner faster, you want to turn the bike sideways as you come into the turn without bleeding off speed then let your sideknobs catch and sort of high-side you and bring you upright and out of the turn.

    Just getting comfortable on flat drifts is key too. Get yourself bored one day and instead of picking up the bong go find some flat dirt and sprint and start leaning with your foot out until you slide and memorize that point and that feeling. Then learn to hold it.

    Watch the cutties section of Fundamentals with Justin H and Bryn Atkinson though. Good stuff right there.
    805

  18. #18
    a'buh?
    Reputation: flyingwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid56
    HaHA! I just woke up my roommate I was laughing so hard at that video. Now he's pissed....
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cascaderider9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    I have been trying to learn to drift for a few weeks now... i am trying to get into drifts where i dont have to touch the rear brake. i have been carrying a lot of speed into the turns i just cant get it.

    for those of you that can do them help me out. lets start from the begining to make sure im not missing something. thanks..
    Just think
    SLIDEWAYS_ALWAYS

  20. #20
    e-misanthrope
    Reputation: lagarto grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    317
    If you're drifting, you're not using the back brake - that is called "skidding". The whole idea is to get through a turn as fast as possible, braking (generally) runs contrary to this.

    Go to a baseball diamond and set up a slalom course - then practice making runs through the course while gradually increasing your speed, this will increase your confidence as you get familiar with how your weight distribution on the bike affects traction in an area free from other distractions (rocks, dips, berms, etc...). When I set up my "course" - it usually consists of a few pieces of trash (my gates), several smaller turns, and 2 or 3 big turns around the perimeter that I can sprint into before initiating my turn. If you do this enough you will get to the point where you are able to control your drifts and will become familiar with the limits of your tires / bike. You should probably pad up beforehand, and ride flats (for practice) if possible. You should be pushing your corner speed to the point that your tires are beginning to walk sideways with zero brake. If your front end feels like it's pushing (or understeering) try moving your weight forward and vice-versa.

    The fast guys don't drift for the sake of drifting (at least not while racing) - they drift to cope with excess speed.
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

  21. #21
    i drink shower water
    Reputation: hab1b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    yea i understand that racers dont drift just to drift. whenever im in a race i hate using my brakes.. seconds count ya know. but sometimes i have to in some turns cus im railing it to fast. thats why i was asking about the drift. thanks a lot for all the input.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

  22. #22
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,519
    weight the front wheel in the turns and the rear should be able to slide around the apex...


  23. #23
    Grip it and rip it.
    Reputation: Damitletsride!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by lagarto grande
    If you're drifting, you're not using the back brake - that is called "skidding". The whole idea is to get through a turn as fast as possible, braking (generally) runs contrary to this.

    .

    Is'nt the back brake the most important thing in skidding? How can you skid by only using the front brake.

    And about drifting don`t think about it so much just image it in your head and do it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

    michaelmblog.wordpress.com

  24. #24
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    Is'nt the back brake the most important thing in skidding? How can you skid by only using the front brake.

    And about drifting don`t think about it so much just image it in your head and do it.
    when you unweight your rear wheel, it loses traction... it's the rear way to do it and not lose speed compared to just fishtailing your rear end around a corner...

  25. #25
    e-misanthrope
    Reputation: lagarto grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    Is'nt the back brake the most important thing in skidding? How can you skid by only using the front brake.
    The point I was trying to make is that there's a big difference between skidding and drifting - a skid is when you lock up your rear brake, and drift happens when you have more speed than traction while cornering.
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

  26. #26
    Ammar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    353
    weight the front wheel into the corner, nd tap the right/left crack arm w/ your ankle, breaking rear wheel traction. I've new how to do this for a couple of years now, and applied it to my riding, but honestly, all it does is slow me down.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarhio
    weight the front wheel into the corner, nd tap the right/left crack arm w/ your ankle, breaking rear wheel traction. I've new how to do this for a couple of years now, and applied it to my riding, but honestly, all it does is slow me down.
    Definitely weight the front wheel in like any corner, but honestly I don't think when you're 'forcing' a drift, if you get what I'm saying you are going any faster.

    You will start sliding when you have really reached the point where you are losing traction and going faster and then you will really be drifting in my opinion.

    just go out to a place with loose ass dirt and haul ass into a corner. lay off your brakes, maybe fall a few times, and just keep doing it.

  28. #28
    Ammar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Definitely weight the front wheel in like any corner, but honestly I don't think when you're 'forcing' a drift, if you get what I'm saying you are going any faster.

    You will start sliding when you have really reached the point where you are losing traction and going faster and then you will really be drifting in my opinion.

    just go out to a place with loose ass dirt and haul ass into a corner. lay off your brakes, maybe fall a few times, and just keep doing it.

    Deff

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.