dremel off ISCG tabs = bad idea?- Mtbr.com
    Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

dremel off ISCG tabs = bad idea?

anyone ever done this? any problems, besides the possible voided warranty? I'm worried more about structural issues really. I don't forsee any, but figured best to get a consensus. The ones on my Big Hit aren't aligned right and it makes setting up guides a PITA. Thanks.

Pro Crastinator
    consider them gone, i would..........

Former Noob Herder
    just make sure there arent any jagged parts; sand everything down real nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

TNC
    noMAD man

Dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    anyone ever done this? any problems, besides the possible voided warranty? I'm worried more about structural issues really. I don't forsee any, but figured best to get a consensus. The ones on my Big Hit aren't aligned right and it makes setting up guides a PITA. Thanks.
    I mean, obviously the frame manufacturers know better (???), but what was wrong with the chain device just being clamped behind the BB? I know the device could turn if struck just right, but that would seem less catostrophic than the alternative. Keep in mind that the only exposure we've had at the shop is installing an LRP on a Gemini. It was a pain requiring spacing and such for those tabs to get a proper chainline. I'm sure there must be some actual benefits of the tabs, but I haven't had enough experience with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think having it clamped in with the BB is infinitely better as well. My view is that having it on the BB is kind of like having your brake levers set up such that they turn on the bar in a crash rather than breaking or bending. It shouldn't normally be an issue, and it gives you that extra security just in case something bad happens.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I also thought that a while back, the E-13 guys mentioned that they were planning on doing away with ISCG mounting and fully going with the BB mounting approach...not sure but for some reason I seem to remember this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    I had to do that to one of my frames as the mounts were in the wrong position... If it was a new frame, I probably would have sent it back, but this was a demo I had picked up so I was out of luck... Lucky for me the mounts were not actually part of the BB shell, but on a small ring welded to the shell with 3 small tack welds. A little dremel action and a tap of a hammer solved the issue... But on my Mountain Cycle, the guide mounts were set right and my Evil guide went on perfectly according to the directions....

Brian

Shiveriffic

Gooooonnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee.....................

I had the same problem with my frame..... The welds on the bighit frame are beautiful (mainly because they are robot welds), but the welds on the tabs are terrible... I think the guys who were welding the tabs on were drunk... Getting rid of those things will clean up your frame... I was able to get mine to work with my evil DRS and suffered the consequences for using them, your best off to go with the BB mount, replacing the guide frame is expensive!
    ~Gary