Downhilling and racing- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeaj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    71

    New question here. Downhilling and racing

    If I was to start downhill racing. What exacly is it? Do just alot of people go from top to bottom and see who gets there first? How does it work? What kinds of comps are there for Moutain biking. What do you people think would be a kind of race to start off in.

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    What are you riding now & what type of trails
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  3. #3
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    If I was to start downhill racing. What exacly is it? Do just alot of people go from top to bottom and see who gets there first? How does it work? What kinds of comps are there for Moutain biking. What do you people think would be a kind of race to start off in.
    do you watch WRC??? I'm guessing the format is something like that but with only one stage and only one checkpoint

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeaj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    71
    Now I ride Mainly all moutain, and alittle but of downhill maybe even call it come XC. I have a Iron horse 6point6

  5. #5
    When in doubt, go faster
    Reputation: =ChrisB='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,122
    Essentialy, downhilling is a bunch of guys (and gals, hopefuly) going from the top of a hill to the bottom of a hill one at a time and whoever gets their fastest wins. ESSENTALY.
    Last edited by =ChrisB=; 12-17-2006 at 10:55 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    Essentialy, downhilling is a bunch of guys (and gals, hopefuly) going from the top of a hill to the bottom of a hill and whoever gets their first wins. ESSENTALY.
    LOL.... you made it sound all too easy !~!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    Essentialy, downhilling is a bunch of guys (and gals, hopefuly) going from the top of a hill to the bottom of a hill and whoever gets their first wins. ESSENTALY.
    No downhill race I've been was like this. Here is what Downhill racing is:

    It is a time trial event. Each rider is timed in completing the downhill course. The rider with the fastest time is the winner. There is no direct racing against other competitors.

    Competitors are grouped into classes by skill level, age and sex, with awards for placing in the top 3 in each class.

    Courses are usually 1-2 miles long and usually involve something like 1000-2000 vertical descent. Courses usually take like 4-7 minutes to complete.

    The courses usually have varied terrain involving fast flowy sections, rock gardens, jumps, drops and other technical terrain.

    A race day involves making several practice runs down the course to figure out your fastest line down the mountain. You are assigned a start time, and when the race starts you line up based on your start time. Riders are usually separated by around 30 seconds between each one. When it's your turn you'll get a ready set go, and you're off and you get one timed run down the mountain.

    Hope that helps you understand what it is.

  8. #8
    When in doubt, go faster
    Reputation: =ChrisB='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,122
    I said essentaly. and take all else away, it is alot of people going down hill. Actualy I should correct tha to make it say one at a time.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    I said essentaly. and take all else away, it is alot of people going down hill. Actualy I should correct tha to make it say one at a time.
    Yeah your original post makes it sound like they shoot a gun and it's a free for all down the mountain. I guess they did race downhill like that way back in the day when mountain biking first started.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Yeah your original post makes it sound like they shoot a gun and it's a free for all down the mountain. I guess they did race downhill like that way back in the day when mountain biking first started.
    It would be fun to watch... absolute mayhem !~!

    Considering most courses are singletrack.

  11. #11
    When in doubt, go faster
    Reputation: =ChrisB='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,122
    Oh god that would be INSANE! Now wait a sec... I have an Idea comming to me... O.o

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    287
    Isent that how the megaavalanche runs, or that one they do in europe on that glacier??


    Downhill racing is in my opinion the most fun thing to do on a bike

  13. #13
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphoid
    Isent that how the megaavalanche runs, or that one they do in europe on that glacier??


    Downhill racing is in my opinion the most fun thing to do on a bike
    Yup to both answers
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeaj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    71
    I now get it. Do you guys no where I can like see where they race in my area? How much does it cost on average? and What kind of bike could do me well for like $800-$1200?
    I just started to realy get into the whole biking thing, and Iv been going to this moutain I got near my house, It gives me a adrenaline rush going down! Such a great sport. I want to try!

  15. #15
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    I now get it. Do you guys no where I can like see where they race in my area? How much does it cost on average? and What kind of bike could do me well for like $800-$1200?
    I just started to realy get into the whole biking thing, and Iv been going to this moutain I got near my house, It gives me a adrenaline rush going down! Such a great sport. I want to try!
    Ibex Zone???
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ZON-FR-1-Details.html

  16. #16
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    I now get it. Do you guys no where I can like see where they race in my area? How much does it cost on average? and What kind of bike could do me well for like $800-$1200?
    I just started to realy get into the whole biking thing, and Iv been going to this moutain I got near my house, It gives me a adrenaline rush going down! Such a great sport. I want to try!
    Check out a sweet deal on a Versus Blitz at Adrenaline Bikes.

    http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...ES%20ON%20SALE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Something along these lines:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

    Too bad they only have size smalls left. Would be good if you were like 5"8 or shorter.

    DH races usually cost around $50 or less to enter.

    Also FYI alot of DH races happen at ski resorts because of having lift access. So see if any of your local ski places have Mountain biking in the summer, and if they do they will probably have a couple of races.

  18. #18
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    I now get it. Do you guys no where I can like see where they race in my area?

    Where do you live? Some areas have great local series.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeaj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    71
    Queen Creek Arizona, 20 miles south east of Phoenix.
    Only one way down.

  20. #20
    don't move for trees
    Reputation: BKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,832
    i just got the IH kumicho type r, and that thing feels like a dream. in the spring/summer i plan on racing it. its deffinatly a quality bike

    as for places to race, check out the ski slopes, i know North star hosts a lot of races. Also if you know where the race line is, come on a different day and ride the terrain, get some expeirence with the landscape
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    I now get it. Do you guys no where I can like see where they race in my area? How much does it cost on average? and What kind of bike could do me well for like $800-$1200?
    I just started to realy get into the whole biking thing, and Iv been going to this moutain I got near my house, It gives me a adrenaline rush going down! Such a great sport. I want to try!
    buy a used one for that price
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  22. #22
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    here you go....great answer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    No downhill race I've been was like this. Here is what Downhill racing is:

    It is a time trial event. Each rider is timed in completing the downhill course. The rider with the fastest time is the winner. There is no direct racing against other competitors.

    Competitors are grouped into classes by skill level, age and sex, with awards for placing in the top 3 in each class.

    Courses are usually 1-2 miles long and usually involve something like 1000-2000 vertical descent. Courses usually take like 4-7 minutes to complete.

    The courses usually have varied terrain involving fast flowy sections, rock gardens, jumps, drops and other technical terrain.

    A race day involves making several practice runs down the course to figure out your fastest line down the mountain. You are assigned a start time, and when the race starts you line up based on your start time. Riders are usually separated by around 30 seconds between each one. When it's your turn you'll get a ready set go, and you're off and you get one timed run down the mountain.

    Hope that helps you understand what it is.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  23. #23
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    Queen Creek Arizona, 20 miles south east of Phoenix.

    Check out the mountain states cup series. One of the best in the country. Most of the races would require a bit of driving but that's what racers do.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Where do you live? Some areas have great local series.
    Yup, most ski-hills in my area have a race series on a weeknight. You sign up, pay, and race.

    Additionally, those ski hills usually have MTB instructional training camps/sessions too. In your case it would be very useful to take one or more sessions, then ask about their race series. You could rent a bike initially, to get an idea of the size and type of bike you like/need.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    buy a used one for that price
    That's smart advice. If you stick with it, you will eventually decide what suspension you want and how you want your bike... then you can move up and on from there. The first few prangs won't be as 'bad' on a used bike LOL....

  26. #26
    When in doubt, go faster
    Reputation: =ChrisB='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,122
    Yea buy a used one. Now, f0ggy will hate on me for this, and I'm not advertising for them, but Iron Horse makes a great introductry downhill bike, the Yakuza Kumicho, and you can get it for about 1300-1400 bucks at randle scott or Down Cycles.

    As for finding races, ask at your local bike shop, or talk to USA Cycling or IMBA or a local organizatio.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeaj92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    71
    Yeah, thats what I will do, ask my bike shop near by. I like Iron Horse's. I would like to use one.
    Only one way down.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xKREDx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Yeah your original post makes it sound like they shoot a gun and it's a free for all down the mountain. I guess they did race downhill like that way back in the day when mountain biking first started.
    now that would be awsome to see
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xKREDx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    Do just alot of people go from top to bottom and see who gets there first?
    nope its one person at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaj92
    If I was to start downhill racing. What exacly is it? Do just alot of people go from top to bottom and see who gets there first? How does it work? What kinds of comps are there for Moutain biking. What do you people think would be a kind of race to start off in.
    Here are some photos of a DH race. The time gap between riders was 1 minute to 3 minutes depending on class.

  31. #31
    Bum Buzzer
    Reputation: Huck Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    It would be fun to watch... absolute mayhem !~!

    Considering most courses are singletrack.
    Megavalanche!


    Dont get it twisted. . .

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.