Downhillers in Arizona- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Inclag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    50

    Downhillers in Arizona

    Posted this in the Arizona forum and really haven't heard anything...anyway I'm flying into Phoenix in mid December and traveling out to Flagstaff for my younger brother's graduation and I am thinking about shipping out a bike.

    I'm looking to hook up to ride with anyone that could point me to some good downhilling for a weekend, or possibly midweek depending on what days I'm down there.

    I race for a brewery so beers would be on me.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    at that time of year a lot of trails are closed due to snow.....your best bet would be Phoinex.....South Mountain is really good...it's a little over 2 hour drive....always good to ride different places.....hook up with downhillfaster
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Inclag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    at that time of year a lot of trails are closed due to snow.....your best bet would be Phoinex.....South Mountain is really good...it's a little over 2 hour drive....always good to ride different places.....hook up with downhillfaster
    Figured I would have to haul myself out of Flagstaff to a warmer climate but I really don't mind traveling a couple hours. Is downhillfaster a member here or a shop??

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773
    Hope you have better luck than I did looking for people to ride with in flag/sedona area. I lived in Flag for 5 years and depending on snow you could ride all year if it is a low season. You can find stuff in Sedona 30minn from flag but most is a push to get to. They do have a bit of shuttle stuff but it's HARD to find.

  5. #5
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    as SMT said, south mountain is THE ticket. super fun place, highly underated. if you like chunk, this is the place. can be climbed or shuttled, all drops are like 600-1000 vert. one of the best wintertime riding spots in US in my opinion. there are maps online, just dig alittle or post to arizona about somo.

  6. #6
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Inclag
    Figured I would have to haul myself out of Flagstaff to a warmer climate but I really don't mind traveling a couple hours. Is downhillfaster a member here or a shop??
    pm this guy

    http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=261871
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  7. #7
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    as SMT said, south mountain is THE ticket. super fun place, highly underated. if you like chunk, this is the place. can be climbed or shuttled, all drops are like 600-1000 vert. one of the best wintertime riding spots in US in my opinion. there are maps online, just dig alittle or post to arizona about somo.
    that and Bootleg
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  8. #8
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    might want to go to vegas baby !!!!

    http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  9. #9
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    SoMtn is always good but Flag may actually be rideable even in Dec. I've done the Mt Elden snow ride a few times but it's kind of hit or miss, depends on whether the snow is iced over or not. There's a TON of stuff in the Phx. area though, just PM some of us when you're coming in.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    So Mo, check out Geronimo and Holbert, these are both shuttle runs but great rides.

  11. #11
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    SoMtn is always good but Flag may actually be rideable even in Dec. I've done the Mt Elden snow ride a few times but it's kind of hit or miss, depends on whether the snow is iced over or not. There's a TON of stuff in the Phx. area though, just PM some of us when you're coming in.
    well pm him and give him a list of numbers to contact
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Inclag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for all the help so far, I'll definitely have to drop a couple PM's to some people.

    I'd really love to ride out there and actually do some downhilling, but now it looks like I may be working on and selling my downhill bike and parts and trying to save some $$ since the team I ride on picked up a bike manufacturer for 08. Decisions, decisions....

  13. #13
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    SoMtn is always good but Flag may actually be rideable even in Dec. I've done the Mt Elden snow ride a few times but it's kind of hit or miss, depends on whether the snow is iced over or not. There's a TON of stuff in the Phx. area though, just PM some of us when you're coming in.
    one of my favorite rides is goat camp? i don't know of other stuff in phx area besides somo and goat. (for very technical riding)

  14. #14
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    Yeah pretty much SoMtn and GC plus the stuff out at Papago,NRA and the Playground (jumps, drops not trails). Look for my PM, always willing to show people around.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.