Downhill....Tire....Removal....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Downhill....Tire....Removal....

Is there some secret method that only the insiders know. I am faced with the daunting task of removing a WTB Timberwolf 2.7 DH tire. Dear God Please Help Me. If anyone has any helpful hints, Please feel free to share.
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

Thunder Chunky
    use some soapy water
    Purple Popcorn

moaaar shimz
    And a tire lever.

mtbr member
    Sorry for being dense, but how would one go about "using" soapy water. What will it make different that will help the tire come off easier.

moaaar shimz
    It will make the surface... oh well.... soapy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthemountain82
    Sorry for being dense, but how would one go about "using" soapy water. What will it make different that will help the tire come off easier.

it slips the tire across the rim easier
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    make it slicker

put water and soap in a spray bottle and go at it

EastBaySteez
    Baby powder
    puff some of that shiz into your eyes and you'll be set.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

N* Bomber Crew
    Do yourself a favor and get those composite huge tire levers. I had a pair and they were great.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

...idios...
    Softly softly catchy monkey, or something. Getting tyres off is more about brains than brawn, although you'll still need a couple of levers. First off, let out as much air as you possibly can from the tube. Then, starting at the valve, pinch (like a crab) the tyre just off the wire/bead on each side so that it is pushed out of the internal lip of the rim. With the tyre a little more loose in the rim, use one lever to lift they tyre out directly opposite from the valve. If you can't now get a second lever in a couple of inches to one side of the first, go back to the valve and repeat the crab-pinch; you'll feel the bead pop back away from the rim, releasing the tension that stopped you getting the second lever in. Try again with the second lever. Repeat the process until you're tyre is liberated.

Trying to man-handle the tyre out is akin to trying to struggle free from Chinese handcuffs.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Brackish
    I use Pedros levers and a bowl of dish-soapy water for installation and sometimes removal. Just use a rag to apply some soapy water to the area where you are going to lift the tire off, trying to get between the tire and rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Softly softly catchy monkey, or something. Getting tyres off is more about brains than brawn, although you'll still need a couple of levers. First off, let out as much air as you possibly can from the tube. Then, starting at the valve, pinch (like a crab) the tyre just off the wire/bead on each side so that it is pushed out of the internal lip of the rim. With the tyre a little more loose in the rim, use one lever to lift they tyre out directly opposite from the valve. If you can't now get a second lever in a couple of inches to one side of the first, go back to the valve and repeat the crab-pinch; you'll feel the bead pop back away from the rim, releasing the tension that stopped you getting the second lever in. Try again with the second lever. Repeat the process until you're tyre is liberated.
    +1 to SteveUK. I find that method works the best on my rims(Spank Subrosas). I just slowly unseat the entire tyre before I even attempt using levers to pop them over the rim.

check your six
    Big steel/aluminum Park Tool tires levers, mix some Dawn dish soap and some water, then give her hell. I even carry a small "hotel" bottle of shampoo in my pack for tire removal on the trail.

The Azonic Outlaws and 3C maxxis suck to take off!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Steve UK has it exactly right. Patience and applied logic is more effective then motorcycle levers or soap. Always move the beads towards the center of the rim first to gain some slack.

Hint - get yourself some Mavic composite tire levers (the road kind). They have a much slimmer/stiffer profile with a better lip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp
    Steve UK has it exactly right. Patience and applied logic is more effective then motorcycle levers or soap. Always move the beads towards the center of the rim first to gain some slack.

Hint - get yourself some Mavic composite tire levers (the road kind). They have a much slimmer/stiffer profile with a better lip.

Yep. Thank god someone knows that. By working the bead into the center of the rim you can get any tire off almost any rim without tire irons.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    Big steel/aluminum Park Tool tires levers, mix some Dawn dish soap and some water, then give her hell. I even carry a small "hotel" bottle of shampoo in my pack for tire removal on the trail.

The Azonic Outlaws and 3C maxxis suck to take off!
    Steel Tire Irons are a negative. They will mess up your rim.

The Outlaws are a tad bit hard to get off/on.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    INTENSE TIRE TOOLS ARE THE DA KINE KINE BRO BRAH!!

seriously.. i love 'em. i actually call all my friends and i'm like "Hey, you need me to change your tires?" e z p z.

don't eff the rim either. just don't drop 'em on rocks and get burs on 'em. rims don't last forever anyway.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Do yourself a favor and get those composite huge tire levers. I had a pair and they were great.

the yellow wide Pedros is what I use......great stuff....but most of the times just with the hands.....Manhandle it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    the yellow wide Pedros is what I use......great stuff....but most of the times just with the hands.....Manhandle it
    After bending all of mine I had to go to the shop to get a tyre installed, he used a yellow pedro. I bought some yellow pedros

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Personally, I've been using a Quick Stik and never had a problem. Pulls the tire off eazzy-peazzy...even 2.5 Maxxis'.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.rei.com/product/546083

And it's only one tool in the pack as opposed to multiple tire irons.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Pedro's are where it's at. Lifetime warranty too
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    Pedro's are where it's at. Lifetime warranty too

Another vote for yellow Pedros levers. The shiznit

mtbr member
    Thanks For all the help. I was actually able to remove the tire very easily after really forcing all the air out and i actually used a long screwdriver covered in a "protective coating". Worked like a charm. No need for Liquid. Thanks to everyone anyways.

is down to roll...
    One more trick to try if your bead doesn't stay in the wheel well when trying to remove it: spacers:

https://www.msdhw.com/gallery/showim...&c=3&userid=37

I had rhyno lites, velox tape, and hookworms. This technique holds the bead in the wheel well giving you a few mm's to work with.

-Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    did i mention .... INTENSE TIRE TOOOOOOLS......?

hookworms are a pain in the dick to remove. goodgawd.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    After bending all of mine I had to go to the shop to get a tyre installed, he used a yellow pedro. I bought some yellow pedros
    I have definately snapped a few of the yellow Pedro's levers. But they are the best plastic/poly lever I have used. I stick to the big burly Park Tool ones. The only problem is they rattle in my pack while riding.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Steel Tire Irons are a negative. They will mess up your rim.

The Outlaws are a tad bit hard to get off/on.
    They don't mess my rims up any more than a good ol' east coast rock garden.

Jersey Hucker
    Intense 909s and rhyno lite XLs are super hard to get off, with DH tires once u get a portion of the bead off you can use your weight to bend the tire over to one side and work off the rest of the bead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I used the pedros in the shop, but in my opinion, thes are a lot better, the lip works better on the tire.

mtbr member
    Give Chuck Norris a call, he'll teach that tire a lesson.

Members who have read this thread: 1