Downhill tire for hard and loose over hard.- Mtbr.com
    Formerly NattyBoh74...

Downhill tire for hard and loose over hard.

hey i thought id ask the everyone in here. im lookin for a bigger in width tire for loose over hard pack and hard packed. i was thinking about the hutchinson octopus. but im lookin for suggestions. thanks to all

moaaar shimz
    Maxxis Minion

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Maxxis Minion
    vote 2 for minion

Glad to Be Alive
    2.8 Michelin 32 A.T.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    I've found the TIoga Whitetiger pretty reliable in similar conditions...
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbikes
    I've found the TIoga

No Fear!
    I also reccomend the ,maxxis and michies,

The Continentel Gravity handles very well in them conditions,ive been running one on the front, while the weathers been dry,its impressed me so far,just dont handle very good in wet mud.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    ok ok thanks for the replys

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    also for the minion is that front and rear?

Three sheets to the wind
    I run 2.7 Minions front and rear and I'm quite happy with the overall performance. They have a front and rear specific tread and there are some options with compound. That being said, I have a slight problem with my rear at Whiteface only, which is that the tread cakes up quickly leaving me with zero traction. I'm going to do a little research and either try a different compound, tread or tire....
    Last edited by Bawitdaba; 10-16-2006 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    2.5 or 2.7 maxxis high roller.
    I prefer a 2.5 for almost everything, 2.7's are just to big

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    whats one of the best places to pick up tires cheap (online)? any other reccomendations on tires? thanks

Three sheets to the wind
    Fleabay and any of the E-tailers when they have sales...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    On Phoenix's South Mountain, it's all rock, or decomposed granite over rock... some sand, and more rock and loose rock.
    I run a maxxis, minion f on the front and a highroller on the rear... both in 2.5 and both on 60 compound.
    I'm very happy with the performance, and they are wearing rather well on the abrasive terrain.
    My bike, Slayer 70

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawitdaba
    I run 2.7 Minions front and rear and I'm quite happy with the overall performance. They have a front and rear specific tread and there are some options with compound. That being said, I have a slight problem with my rear at Whiteface only, which is that the tread cakes up quickly leaving me with zero traction. I'm going to do a little research and either try a different compound, tread or tire....
    with riding here is what I found......I like the way the highroller runs.....to me it is a fast rolling tire....the only problem I feel is that it needs more traction for a front wheel.....that is why I recommend the minion up front and the highroller in the rear
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    do so were lookin more so towards the minion over any other tire... seems to be a winner. i think il be getting some of them soon. but see im nto doing exactly DOWNHILL there are trails in the woods. its a downhill track with jumps and all a very fast track. so im assuming these minions will work. there are NO rocks, few roots, just berms, jumps and log rides. with a few ladder ways ( is that what they are called) p.s im new into this. but its deff. beats bmx street.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    2.5 or 2.7 maxxis high roller.
    I prefer a 2.5 for almost everything, 2.7's are just to big
    Don't mean to sidetrack the thread but are most of you running 2.5's for both or 2.5 rear/2.7 front? I've been using the latter but am now trying just 2.5's and do notice less rolling resistance; I just don't want to give up too much stability in front for really hairy downhills!

Thanks,

G

PS - I've had good luck with Nevegals for loose over hard and they also work well in wet conditions here in the Pacific NW while the Maxxis do not.

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh
    do so were lookin more so towards the minion over any other tire... seems to be a winner. i think il be getting some of them soon. but see im nto doing exactly DOWNHILL there are trails in the woods. its a downhill track with jumps and all a very fast track. so im assuming these minions will work. there are NO rocks, few roots, just berms, jumps and log rides. with a few ladder ways ( is that what they are called) p.s im new into this. but its deff. beats bmx street.

In that case I would say Kenda Nevegal's. Best all around trail tire, and they glide through sand like it's not even there. I have both types minion and nevegal. Minions for DH, Nevegal on my trail bike. That's just my opinion.

Freeriding Feline

HighRollers

Right now I am running HighRollers, 2.5 front and rear, but on my old M1 I ran a HighRoller in the Rear and a Minion (2.7) up front.
    I'm liking the Kendas right now as well.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    2.8 Michelin 32 A.Ts as the great SMT stated

loose over hardpack is all I run, well from pea gravel over hard pack to baby head over hardpack, oh man youve never bombed a trail untill you have bombed one with babyheads flying everywich way

oh yeah 2.8 Michelin ATs they are expensive and wear fast but they rock the ****

yeah ive tried minions and highrollers, the minions wernt bad, but I hate highrollers!!!
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

rebmem rbtm
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    Right now I am running HighRollers, 2.5 front and rear, but on my old M1 I ran a HighRoller in the Rear and a Minion (2.7) up front.
    I'm liking the Kendas right now as well.
    i second the 2.5 highrollers, i love mine for everything. i havent found anything i cant hit with them. I have the super tacky edition, they dont roll to great, but you get used to it real fast.

heres one at cambria: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=28328
    it says 24" in the title but where the add to cart button is it says 26"

Quotes from maxxis:
    Our most popular and versatile mountain bike tire, the High Roller's ramped leading edges roll fast, while the side lugs offer stability at speed and a sharp edge to hold corners. The grooved center knobs provide straight-line control. The High Roller's tread design translates well to all mountain bike disciplines, including downhill, cross country, and freeride.

"No flats and great performance. Hits: Rolls fast; good in loose and wet conditions." - Mountain Bike, August 1999

Hardpack and medium terrain downhill tire for front or rear.
    "Ramped" knob design lowers rolling resistance and adds knob stability under hard braking.
    Grooved center provides straight-line control and excellent cornering hold.
    2-ply casings with Butyl inserts in the sidewalls for flat resistance and stability at speed.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    nice nice.. are the crossmarks's anygood? i just seen them in a mag and i was jw. bc they looked like they had all types of tread for all kinda fo conditions. but then seems as if they would sehd well like the nevegals or minions would.

oh and also, ive always likve wider tires for the cushion. im weighing in at 158lbs. so im in really all that heavy. whast the combo for tire sizes. i like them big, so resistance isnt nothing new to me
    Last edited by mroneeyedboh; 10-17-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1