Downhill riding gear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Downhill riding gear?

Last summer I had a wreck that shredded my best pair of riding shorts (some thin fox shorts). I shortly thereafter had shoulder surgery, and I am planning on riding this summer.

To the point: I need some good, thick, durable downhill/freeride shorts that can hold up to a crash. I found:

Alpinestars Gravity Short - Men's*from Hucknroll.com

Which look super tough, but in usual chainlove/huck'n'roll fashion there is only a size 40.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tough shorts, and a recommendation for a place to buy them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Troy Lee Moto or Sprint shorts.... lots on Ebay and most online retailers for under $100/pair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Royal Racing SP247 short is a nice and tough selection. They've held up well for me.

mtbr member
    I 2nd the Troy Lee Motos.... I've got 5 pairs, all in different colors.... some have multiple crashes with no signs of wear. I've had my black pair almost a decade!

mtbr member
    Pocsports.com !
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    tld moto for me,,,,,, i got them to ride the bikepark in whistler last year.... they have removeable pads on the side and are quite thick and durable, and comfortable to wear...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Dainese.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I have these, although the size options are not as good now as when I got them. They definitely hold up well. I went down a couple days ago and scraped up my arm. I kept looking for a mark on the shorts to see where I fell but couldn't see anything. Checked my hip after the ride and it had a nice little red scrape.

Oakley Bark Short - Men's*from Hucknroll.com
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Glad to Be Alive
    lets see ..everyone pics troy lee for helmets and what not...if you buy one over priced troy lee helmet you could buy 2 or 3 helmets from somewhere else...same with shorts and jerseys...lets face it...you pay for the name to look cool

Try looking at the Azonic DH shorts...I have been wearing them for years and usually get 3 or 4 seasons out of them....sometimes riding 4 or 5 times in a week and with only one pair (now I have 4 pairs)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SamIAm
    Search Results*from Hucknroll.com

i like the fox demo shorts. extra long, but not baggy at all. just enough to go over straits. race cut, good ventilation when going fast. no chamois. only thing is u might want to size up. has adjustable waist that no use if they tight. or for armor..
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Moose Member
    Tld moto. I got a pair for free, and love them. I'm planning on buying another pair for this season. Withstood tons of crashes on rocks and such.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OP - The alpinestars shorts you linked are really sick. Ordered off hucknroll earlier this fall and ride them once or twice for shuttles every week. Sick shorts, and the jersey to match is super ventilated. Although depending on where you live you may not want that, but here in AZ light gear is a necessity!

mtbr member
    I have troy lee moto's, royal drift, and a set of royal sp247s that I've had for 2 years. Of the 3 the sp-247 are the most comfortable but least durable they are also the shortest cut.

The royal drift shorts are longer and work well with knee pads, they are comfortable and almost as durable as the tld moto's. Only thing I don't like about the drifts is the velcro waste tighteners they use tend to snag some jerseys if you don't tuck. Otherwise they are pretty comfortable. Not all day ride with lot's of pedaling comfortable but for freeride and Dh they shouldn't disappoint.

Finally the tld moto's. What I like about them is they are bombproof and almost impossible to rip. They offer the best protection of the 3 shorts I listed due to the very thick fabric used. The downside is they are not as comfortable as the other two. If you need a tough pair of shorts for freeride and dh I can almost guarantee you won't rip them in a crash. imho Tld moto's are my dh freeride shorts of choice.

mtbr member
    I picked up a pair of Fox Blitz shorts and while I haven't had much ride time on them (bought them when the snow started to fly), they do seem to be very durable. I paid something like $40 new.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Baggy pair of Carhartt Double-Front Work Dungaree. Goes over pads and use a belt to keep 'em up. Burly as anything else you're gonna buy and good for cold days. You also don't have to look like a super-hero, which is pretty good in my book.
    Use the Carhartt Ripstop Work Short for hot days that require shorts. Or rock a pair of Dickie's for extra style points with the hipster crowd.

Members who have read this thread: 0