Downhill Mt. Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Downhill Mt. Bike

Looking for entry level downhill Mt. Bike for my son who is 6'3" and 15 years old. Have looked at Trek Fuel EX7 (2007-08) and Trek Fuel 5.5 (2009) - need some feedback re: frame sizes - since he's 6'3" would a 19 or higher work? Trying to surprise him for Christmas! Any feedback would be welcomed! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Those are really trail bikes and not downhill bikes. What is your budget set at? Also where will he be riding it, lift access ski mountains or hills smaller than a ski mountain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    dbl post...

mtbr member
    Depending on your budget I might have what you're looking for. PM me for more info.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Budget is under 1500 so I'm having a hard time finding something,especially for his height. He rode at Highland in Northfield, NH this past year - similar to a lift access ski mountain but also rides local smaller mountains/trails. Local bike shops have told me that the Trek Fuel would work for what I describe below but I'm skeptical. Any recommendations would be most appreciated! Thanks for the reply.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethturtle
    Budget is under 1500 so I'm having a hard time finding something,especially for his height. He rode at Highland in Northfield, NH this past year - similar to a lift access ski mountain but also rides local smaller mountains/trails. Local bike shops have told me that the Trek Fuel would work for what I describe below but I'm skeptical. Any recommendations would be most appreciated! Thanks for the reply.
    Go to e-bay and type in "downhill bike". You will find a ton of lightly used DH bikes in your price range. No shame in buying a good used bike. In this economy I find people are dumping toys at stupid low prices. Craigs list has also been very good for me.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparm...&_trksid=p3286.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Since he has ridden at Highland I assume you live in New England? Check out the classifieds at bustedspoke.com. It's mostly New Englanders so you may be able to avoid shipping and you can often find some good deals.

should know better.....
    If he enjoyed the style of riding at Highland, then he needs a Freeride or Downhill bike. Not a strong Cross Country or "all mountain" bike.
    For New England centric forums check Bustedspoke.com; Crankfire.com; Bikerag.com
    Where exactly are you? (which state, part of the state) this will help with us helping you....some shops may be marking stuff down...
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

knock-knock...
    You should not believe the shop...

The fuel's are not enough bike for highland.

Another idea would be the buy/sell section of pinkbike.

There will be a lot of rude, homophibic 15 year-olds, but they usually are pretty unintelligent, so you might be able to buy a great bike for not much cash from them.

just a quick look something like this would do real well

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/567100/
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    Kona stinky
    Spesh Bighit 1

Great entry level DH/FR bike at great prices
    Also check some of the entry level giants, they are normally excellent quality

Big Test Icycles
    I second the Kona Stinky. I started on a 2005 Stinky Delux. Pink Bike is a good source. You will find plenty in your price range.

mtbr member
    The bike shop is just trying to sell you whatever they have in stock, and they obviously don't have any size large DH bikes in stock so "yeah sure he'll be fine on a trek fuel ex..."

I would strongly suggest a kona stinky, a specialized bighit, or something along those lines (maybe a used SC bullit, 07 or newer would be best).

I got an XL (maybe even xxl, sounds ridiculous but I think it might have been) stinky when I was maybe 6 or 6'1, and it fit well as I grew to 6'3. This was an 05 though, so the sizing is probably a bit different now.

Now with More Wood
    Shocked!

I am usually not for posting up names and such - but you'd do the whole world a favor by posting up exatly where they told you that a Trek Fuel would be "fine" for that kind of riding. These guys deserve a public lynchmob. They have invented a whole new Xmas spirit all by themselves. ("Never mind spreading the joy - we're a BUSINESS"... ).

long standing member
    As others have said, if you're looking for a true downhill bike then this shop is steering you in the wrong direction. However, if the bike is going to be utilized as an all around bike then you you need to consider which type of riding is most important to your son - the downhilling or the trail riding. Either way, though, the bikes the shop is trying to sell you are not appropriate for downhilling. The only Trek model that would be suitable for all around riding is the Scratch, but it sells for twice your intended budget. However, I'd go to a different Trek dealer that may be more willing to work with your needs and not just try to sell you a model from the floor.

A Specialized Big Hit 1 (2010 retail $1900) might be a good choice if his focus is going to be downhill riding, according to the Specialized website there are a couple of shops in the Manchester area. A Kona Stinky Six ($1800) or Stinky ($2100) would be suitable as well, check out the website for details.

A used bike is usually the best value, unfortunately it can be risk purchasing from someone you don't know with the product sight-unseen. Scour Ebay and the classifieds here on MTBR, if you have any more specific questions be sure to post them up.
    Looking for entry level downhill Mt. Bike for my son who is 6'3" and 15 years old. Have looked at Trek Fuel EX7 (2007-08) and Trek Fuel 5.5 (2009) - need some feedback re: frame sizes - since he's 6'3" would a 19 or higher work? Trying to surprise him for Christmas! Any feedback would be welcomed! Thank you.

Do it all or nothing
    I agree with the Kona stinky... that or a coilair... fit the buget and are great starter bikes. The can climb(for the XC) and then rip down the hill for the DH days. The guy who told you the EX is DH capable need to hit the lifts and get a slap in the face. I bought my coiler at 15 and have been beating it ever since. Just realize that you son may not really respect the bike as much since he has not completely paid for it. But to help him respect it get him a good stocking stuffer, a mechanic book(for bikes) and basic tools. Save money in the long run since to can repair things yourself and help respect the bike and inspires you to treat it like a car... after all you could probably buy a car for the price of most of our bike. Not mention all the servicing you pay for.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

I heart the drops
    I would have to question the intentions of that bike shop because it looks like they are in it for a sale. As others have said check out used bikes but do your homework there are alot of good deals out thereI reccomend some of the following.
    Kona stinky - XL
    Giant reign x series - L
    Specialized Sx trail - L
    Transition dirt bag - L
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Whatever it ends up being, you should put a nice pink leopard print fabric around the frame, and just tell him its better than the paint job underneath it Saw this demo 8 on ebay btw, looks like a pretty solid deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Demo...item335857e6db

I would also really look into this big hit
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/567080/
    Comes with workstand, pads, helmet, etc

all your base
    wow, demo looks sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    everyone seems to be telling her that her son needs a full downhill bike, but that may not be the case. Yes, Highland is tough, but what kind of riding is he doing? Big drops or more the aggressive downhill trails off of that main one? Or both? She also mentioned he rides at "smaller trails."

Sounds like he needs a good all mountain, obviously at least 6 in...The guys that put you on to Trek...Do they have any Remedies? that might be the style bike he needs. My new Specialized Enduro *better* be good enough for me at Highland! (again - it's all style...i'm there only for the downhill, not the park/drops - so i'm sure i will be)

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    I would have to question the intentions of that bike shop because it looks like they are in it for a sale. As others have said check out used bikes but do your homework there are alot of good deals out there. I recommend some of the following.
    Kona stinky - XL
    Giant reign x series - L
    Specialized Sx trail - L
    Transition dirt bag - L
    That's a great list. If I was 15 and my parents bought me any one of those for Christmas I'd have been pooping in excitement.

A used Giant Faith is a good one too.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Members who have read this thread: 0