Downhill/Freeride bike for Utah Ski Resorts- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Downhill/Freeride bike for Utah Ski Resorts

I primarily ride XC, but would like to buy a bike for lift access/shuttle runs. We have beaucoup ski resorts, and I would like to get a bike that can handle a good beatin, jumps, etc. I have a lot tied up in my XC bike, so I can not spend a fortune on a bike. I was looking at a Kona Stinky or an Iron Horse 7 point 5. Should I go downhill or freeride? I'm more interested in the stunts than the speed. Thanks for the help. I know these questions come up regularly.

Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz
    IMO, I get more use out of a 6-7 inch travel than anything else around here. Anything that resorts in No. Utah have to offer doesn't require more bike than that. There are some good DH shuttles that might make you appreciate a bit more travel, at least up front, (Like Bountiful), but as far as resort riding goes, I'd say a good Slopestyle bike rips it up here. I have been doing most of my riding at the Wolf, and IMO a full DH rig is excessive there. I don't even bother with Deer Valley anymore, since they have no stunts/jumps worth mentioning. Even so, I think a full DH rig is more than that place calls for either.

That said, you'll see a lot of fellas riding 8-9 inch rigs at Wolf Mtn, and it's all fun, but there really isn't any reason for it. They don't have a single rock garden there. The stunts in the slopestyle are well built for anything from a hardtail to a DH bike. In reality, you could ride a hardtail on all of it and have a decent ride, except for some rough spots. The 4x course is probably best on a 5 inch travel bike. Over all the mountain, I'd say something with a single crown, 6-7 inches, would rock the whole place.

Snow Basin is a joke. You could ride a ten speed up there.
    This election is like a turd in a bag on your porch... whether its a blue bag or a red bag, it's still a turd on your porch.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Right on, thanks man!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyO
    IMO, I get more use out of a 6-7 inch travel than anything else around here. Anything that resorts in No. Utah have to offer doesn't require more bike than that. There are some good DH shuttles that might make you appreciate a bit more travel, at least up front, (Like Bountiful), but as far as resort riding goes, I'd say a good Slopestyle bike rips it up here. I have been doing most of my riding at the Wolf, and IMO a full DH rig is excessive there. I don't even bother with Deer Valley anymore, since they have no stunts/jumps worth mentioning. Even so, I think a full DH rig is more than that place calls for either.

That said, you'll see a lot of fellas riding 8-9 inch rigs at Wolf Mtn, and it's all fun, but there really isn't any reason for it. They don't have a single rock garden there. The stunts in the slopestyle are well built for anything from a hardtail to a DH bike. In reality, you could ride a hardtail on all of it and have a decent ride, except for some rough spots. The 4x course is probably best on a 5 inch travel bike. Over all the mountain, I'd say something with a single crown, 6-7 inches, would rock the whole place.

Snow Basin is a joke. You could ride a ten speed up there.
    I agree on Deer Valley......most of the little drops they do have ...you can't air out because they put turns a few feet away to slow you down.......

with that in mind a Stinky is a good bike and great value if you find one used (a good used one goes from 600 to 1000)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you could also look at a bighit or yakuza or aniki

but i think the stinky is probably the most user friendly bike i've ever touched

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey Wookie, I'm a Wasatch front local myself and spend a lot of time on the freeridey trails in the area. Something in the 5-6" range but burly enough to take a beating works great. Although, a nice pedaling 7-8" bike can save your butt when you're learning without making the climbs too difficult. Some trails like Moose or the Crest-Mill D shuttle are a pain on a bigger bike because even with a shuttle you have a good bit of climbing. As KennyO pointed out, Wolf can be done on short travel. I haven't bothered to ride at Deer Valley yet. I'm just reassembling my 4.5" dual slalom rig now, works great for what we have around here. Stinky's are great and pretty cheap. Other bikes that come to mind that you can build fairly cheap would be a bottlerocket or dirtbag, Morewood Shova ST or maybe a Versus Blitz.

Holler at me when you want to ride, we're always jumping off of something around here.

Members who have read this thread: 0