Downhill Bike or Hybrib Gravity bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Downhill Bike or Hybrib Gravity bike?

Hi all,
    i'm a beginner who just started mountain biking on an E-Bike (Levo), but rapidly got hooked. Very hooked.

While i enjoy All Mountain / Trail / Enduro riding with my e-bike, i'm absolutely planning to start hitting some bike parks for some vacations / weekends.

Thus, i'm considering a pure downhill bike as the Levo would not be adequate over there.

My only doubt is whether i should go for a pure downhill bike (i'm thinking at basic Al options of Tues or Sender) or one of the "hybrids" bikes out there, like the YT Capra or the Canyon Torque, bikes which are perfectly capable for freeriding / downhill, and certainly much more than capable for my basic skills.

Consider that:

- Given time constrains & personal skills i don't realistically expect to be able to throw big jumps and the likes anytime soon (years). The realistic usage will be on beginner-intermediate flow / enduro trails, with maybe some small jumps. This is why i'm questioning the pure downhill bike.

- I'm not planning on climbing with this: it will be purely bike park / shuttle dedicated.

Any input?

Thanks,

Vanni

mtbr member
    The standard answer is: Go rent a DH bike first, then decide.

While a full blown DH bike may be overkill for beginner (green) and intermediate (blue) trails at the bike park, a DH bike will allow you to progress faster than an AM/Enduro bike if you want to push your riding into the black diamond jump trails and steep tech, and you'll be safer doing so since DH bikes are a lot more forgiving (more margin for error).

Since your plans for this new bike don't include any uphill pedaling, that negates one of the primary reason many people nowdays are choosing 160-180mm Enduro/AM bikes where they would have gone with DH in the past.

DH bikes can take more abuse, and they keep you from taking more abuse, which means you are fresher at the end of the day = more laps.

The one drawback with a DH bike is that they can feel sluggish and heavy on easier trails. That's why I would recommend renting a couple different DH bikes to see whether you like it or not. If your main ride is an E-bike, my guess is that a DH bike isn't going to feel all that heavy and sluggish in comparison.

A good AM/Enduro bike is still a good option in the bike park, as those bikes today can handle an amazing amount of terrain. But, it's not just about the bike. If you're pushing your limits and trying to progress, what you are capable of riding safely is a function of both your skill as well as the bike's capability.

Next question to ask yourself is how many days of DH do you plan to do in a year? If you're only planning on hitting the park few days a year, it's probably better to rent. Bike park riding is hard on equipment, so you have to subtract the cost of worn tires and brake pads and other broken parts that you won't be paying for from the rental cost to get a fair comparison.

I'd say - 5 days or less in a bike park = keep renting unless you are super picky about bike setup (or if you local park's rental fleet is really clapped out.) If you're going to be hitting the park 15+ days a year and keeping the bike for 3 years, then I think it pays off to buy a DH bike.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Very solid and detailed advice, exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks a lot!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    If you are first starting out, try out a dh bike. Get a bike which will allow you to make mistakes without dying. That said, they can be a bit of work to pedal around unless you've got a certain amount of fitness and stubborness...

mtbr member
    I have both a 203mm dual crown DH bike and a 170mm enduro. I am a pretty good downhill rider - I send big drops, gaps, jumps, etc. I mention that because I can't think of any times I've hit something on the 203mm bike that I wouldn't have hit on the 170. Some things are certainly a lot easier on the big bike, but modern enduro bikes are so good that the line between the two is pretty thin.

I have a season pass to highland and probably ride ~40 park days a year. If I didn't, I wouldn't have a full DH bike because they're expensive, useless everywhere else, and 99% of what most people do on a full DH bike they can still do on an enduro bike. A full DH setup certainly really nice to have, but not something I'd get at the expensive of having a proper trail bike.

The upside of the enduro bike (Nomad, Bronson, Capra, Reign, etc) is that they still make great trail bikes as well AND you can ride them for actual enduro-style riding where you pedal up and rip it down. I have a bunch of bikes but I ride my 170mm bike everywhere - XC trails, AM trails, from flat and rocky to steep and smooth. It's just a MTB, there's nothing saying that you can't go hammer your local doubletrack with it, or spend an afternoon at a pump track. DH bikes can't do either.

Highland's rental fleet has a bunch of Nomads. Your average rider doesn't need a dual crown bike - modern enduro bike are AWESOME and even the base model aluminum version of the more common bikes you see are still asskickers. If you get to the point where you really need a dual crown bike, get one then. Otherwise, get something you can use all the time.

If you're a beginner and all you have is the e-bike, IMO you are better off getting an enduro setup. Then if/when you get to the point where you start going big and think a dual crown bike might be worth it, make sure you have all the other essentials first - a really good helmet, neck brace, pads, etc. etc.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member

Downhill Bike or Hybrib Gravity bike?

I swap between air and coil on my Nomad and it really shines on the DH/bike park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I have both a 203mm dual crown DH bike and a 170mm enduro. I am a pretty good downhill rider - I send big drops, gaps, jumps, etc. I mention that because I can't think of any times I've hit something on the 203mm bike that I wouldn't have hit on the 170. Some things are certainly a lot easier on the big bike, but modern enduro bikes are so good that the line between the two is pretty thin.

I have a season pass to highland and probably ride ~40 park days a year. If I didn't, I wouldn't have a full DH bike because they're expensive, useless everywhere else, and 99% of what most people do on a full DH bike they can still do on an enduro bike. A full DH setup certainly really nice to have, but not something I'd get at the expensive of having a proper trail bike.

The upside of the enduro bike (Nomad, Bronson, Capra, Reign, etc) is that they still make great trail bikes as well AND you can ride them for actual enduro-style riding where you pedal up and rip it down. I have a bunch of bikes but I ride my 170mm bike everywhere - XC trails, AM trails, from flat and rocky to steep and smooth. It's just a MTB, there's nothing saying that you can't go hammer your local doubletrack with it, or spend an afternoon at a pump track. DH bikes can't do either.

Highland's rental fleet has a bunch of Nomads. Your average rider doesn't need a dual crown bike - modern enduro bike are AWESOME and even the base model aluminum version of the more common bikes you see are still asskickers. If you get to the point where you really need a dual crown bike, get one then. Otherwise, get something you can use all the time.

If you're a beginner and all you have is the e-bike, IMO you are better off getting an enduro setup. Then if/when you get to the point where you start going big and think a dual crown bike might be worth it, make sure you have all the other essentials first - a really good helmet, neck brace, pads, etc. etc.
    I get your points and i totally agree that given my skills i will probably never reach the point where i "need" a DH bike.

But the thing is, i already have a very good trail/enduro bike, which is my Levo.

So the question to me in the end is: in a bike park what is more fun to ride for a beginner, an enduro bike or a downhill specific bike? Or, no difference?

I mention bike parks because in any other scenario i will be using my Levo (which i love).

Thanks

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by vannibombonato View Post
    I get your points and i totally agree that given my skills i will probably never reach the point where i "need" a DH bike.

But the thing is, i already have a very good trail/enduro bike, which is my Levo.

So the question to me in the end is: in a bike park what is more fun to ride for a beginner, an enduro bike or a downhill specific bike? Or, no difference?

I mention bike parks because in any other scenario i will be using my Levo (which i love).

Thanks
    get a dh bike... theyre also a lot easier to find used cheap as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    get a dh bike... theyre also a lot easier to find used cheap as well...
    I'm so so tempted from the new Canyon Torque...