Don't Understand UCI Ranking- Mtbr.com
    otb member

Don't Understand UCI Ranking

Can someone explain how the UCI works?

Sam Hill won the last race, so he's World Champ.

What about all the other races, and points etc.? Gee and Greg have been tearing it up all season, but they have a bad race and no World Champs?

Thanks for shedding some light for me.
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

Just roll it......
    The World championships give no points/have no relationship to the World Cup. It's a one race, winner-take-all format. The cool thing about Worlds is you can have a terrible season (i.e. Sam Hill being injured most of the year) and still win the World Championship with a killer run.

The World Cup Overall is determined from the points during the 6-8 race season. Points are awarded for both qualifying and final race results and then added up for overall points. As a result, the World Cup is a better indication, IMO, of the best and most consistent racer for the whole season. This year's World Cup is a pretty good indicator of that: Gee, Greg, Blenki, Gwin and Beaumont.

EB

otb member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    The World championships give no points/have no relationship to the World Cup. It's a one race, winner-take-all format. The cool thing about Worlds is you can have a terrible season (i.e. Sam Hill being injured most of the year) and still win the World Championship with a killer run.

The World Cup Overall is determined from the points during the 6-8 race season. Points are awarded for both qualifying and final race results and then added up for overall points. As a result, the World Cup is a better indication, IMO, of the best and most consistent racer for the whole season. This year's World Cup is a pretty good indicator of that: Gee, Greg, Blenki, Gwin and Beaumont.

EB

OIC - so which one wears the rainbow jersey? World Champion or World Cup winner?
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by craigshaf
    OIC - so which one wears the rainbow jersey? World Champion or World Cup winner?
    World Champ.

World Champ riders are picked by their country's cycling organization to compete. World Cup riders are typically trade team funded/chosen.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    this should be a sticky
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

Members who have read this thread: 0