Dogs?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dogs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Dogs?

any one take there dog with them on the trails? I recently got a new dog from the pound and i would like to teach him to walk the trail as i ride any advice?

Yes, that's fonetic
    The search function is your friend. http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=9982433

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah thanks i used that and found alot of info that i was not looking for, I did realize however that alot of bikers dont like it so maybe ill stay away from training the dog to walk with me while i ride. Although i think alot of the trails here in tucson it may be more acceptable like 50 year trail.
    FYI my original question that was not answered by the search feature was ADVICE on training a dog to run the trail with you?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    got the surprise of my life a few years ago at Snowshoe- I was bike walking a supposed trail muttering to myself I'll be lucky if I can wrangle me and my bike down the maximum gnarl without breaking something...what a joke, no one could possibly ride this.
    At that moment I hear a clatter and a cheery 'hello" and stand in amazement as some kid and his dog went down the trail like it was paved. Thats because he some how only hit the tops of things and the whole decent was like one continuous richochete. Anyway the dog was just at home and obviously rode the lifts...
    I see lots of dogs with riders mostly loose and often miles from a trail head
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My cousin just got a Border collie and we are training her to follow us on the bikes. She goes fast and keeps up for a pup. What we are doing is starting slow and riding easy trails that we can continually look back and make sure she is still following us and keeping pace as well as being able to stop whenever need be.

After finishing the trail or section make sure to tell your doggie what a good job they did and give them a treat. You want to however make sure your dog listens to you and comes when you call and does not run off or do funny things cause it can be a hazard to the dog and other people on the trail. You might want to make sure that its legal to have your dog off its leash in the area you are riding if you are going to do it that way. Otherwise if you are going to just be riding at a walking pace with the dog on a leash then forget everything I said.

The important thing is to have the ground rules and basic training in the dog before you ever bring them on the trail. The biggest problem we have had with my cousins dog is she wants to stop and say hello to other trail users and so we have to make sure she follows us past people otherwise she loses sight of us and does not know where to go.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikehotchicks
    any one take there dog with them on the trails? I recently got a new dog from the pound and i would like to teach him to walk the trail as i ride any advice?
    Here is a piece I wrote a little while ago. I hope it helps.
    http://www.gregridestrails.com/2010/...-guide-to.html

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    I did a lot of leash/hiking training with my pup before ever taking him biking. That way we had a good "over" command to get off the trail and "leave it" to leave other dogs and hikers alone. It's really not good to run dogs until they are about a year old so you have lots of time to train. My pup was about 9 months old when I would take him on some easy 3 mile slow loops on the bike.

I have an older dog who was was 8 when I started biking and took to it just as natural as anything. Didn't even have to train her -- but she had been hiking and horseback riding with me since she was a pup. I think having her so well behaved helped my pup learn to run with the pack better as well.

Never taken the dogs on a lift but they love to ride in the back of a pickup truck to shuttle!
    Good luck with your new one. I feel like something is missing if I don't bring my dogs when I bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thanks!

Thanks all i think this is exactly what i was looking for, and thanks scott for the article.
    The pup is a year and a half so he is prime age for learning, walks on the leash well and learns very fast. He is a mix of husky and Sheppard and seems to be trained in the basics so far. I will have to get him used to the bike though as he is scared of it, just walking the bike through the kitchen to go on a ride today i could tell he was uncertain of what to think. i think i will start with walking a few of my common trails with him and seeing how he does then after learning the trail maybe unleashing him and keeping an eye with him as we walk to make sure he stays good before we bring the bike into the equation.
    Thanks Again

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikehotchicks
    Thanks all i think this is exactly what i was looking for, and thanks scott for the article.
    The pup is a year and a half so he is prime age for learning, walks on the leash well and learns very fast. He is a mix of husky and Sheppard and seems to be trained in the basics so far. I will have to get him used to the bike though as he is scared of it, just walking the bike through the kitchen to go on a ride today i could tell he was uncertain of what to think. i think i will start with walking a few of my common trails with him and seeing how he does then after learning the trail maybe unleashing him and keeping an eye with him as we walk to make sure he stays good before we bring the bike into the equation.
    Thanks Again
    Cool. Happy and safe trails to you and pup in the years ahead.

mtbr member
    Heres a video of my gf's dog, Its only XC riding but its awesome to see the lines she takes thru the trails.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

Glad to Be Alive
    you live in tuscon.....anyway if you do train your dog...the first thing is rattlesnake training....teaches dog to stay away from them

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just started taking my boxer with me on trail rides this past weekend. She loves it man... 30 miles in three days, it was sweet.

Moose Member
    Whatever you do, dont teach your dog this:

<object width='500' height='281'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/161553/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/161553/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='281' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ouch!! Maybe stick to tabletops when you're riding with your dog?

Yes, that's fonetic
    #1 most important lesson to you. If it craps on the trail clean it up!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Start by SLOWLY riding with him on a leash in your neighborhood, till he gets used to the bike. I used a 10 foot lead.

Also, be carefull with him off-leash with him for a while. If he's a pound dog, he might make a break for his previous owners house, and get lost.

There is a shot the Vet can give him that'll protect him somewhat from Rattlesnakes as well. Don't know what it's called but read about it at my vets offfice a few years back.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangingchads
    My cousin just got a Border collie and we are training her to follow us on the bikes. She goes fast and keeps up for a pup. What we are doing is starting slow and riding easy trails that we can continually look back and make sure she is still following us and keeping pace as well as being able to stop whenever need be.

After finishing the trail or section make sure to tell your doggie what a good job they did and give them a treat. You want to however make sure your dog listens to you and comes when you call and does not run off or do funny things cause it can be a hazard to the dog and other people on the trail. You might want to make sure that its legal to have your dog off its leash in the area you are riding if you are going to do it that way. Otherwise if you are going to just be riding at a walking pace with the dog on a leash then forget everything I said.

The important thing is to have the ground rules and basic training in the dog before you ever bring them on the trail. The biggest problem we have had with my cousins dog is she wants to stop and say hello to other trail users and so we have to make sure she follows us past people otherwise she loses sight of us and does not know where to go.

Hope that helps.
    Not to be a downer here. But it is amazing how little people know about raising other living things (babies included). Please ask your vet when is a good age (breed specific) to start training a pup to run like they need to in order to keep up with a bike. Even among the 'experts' there is dissention. Similar to humans, dogs that have excessive exercise at a young age will be shorter in stature, since gowth is inhibited, and no 'catch-up' growth can occur after the growth plates have closed. This is no big deal for the dog, but you should know the 'damage' you are doing. If you do not know things like this, then you need to ask people that actually do know. You need to learn about hip dysplasia, and you should probably get films (x-rays) at 6 months of age, if you are starting training that young. Remember dogs will run for miles with bleeding paws, and unless you pay attention you may not notice the limp (they are probably still having a blast). The joint damage may be more insidious. Think of a football player and the damage they do to their knees even over a short career.

A good idea is to go for a ride with your pup, but you and the pup run, and follow the rest of the group (who are on bikes). Then you will see how difficult certain sections can be on a familiar trail while running, even when they are cake on a bike. If you are hard core, you can wear those running sock things, so that you can tell which sections are rough on their pads.

Always carry booties (the kind sled dogs wear, not the REI crud that look like shoes). Even when you spend time training their pads, there can always be a thorn or sharp rock, or piece of glass that can spell doom for a dogs feet.

It is easy to train a dog to be a trail dog, be healthy, and sociable with other riders. It is the owners that need the training, and to put the proper time in with the dog. Training needs to be both physical and mental, dogs don't intuitively know that we MUST ride on the trails, and THEY need to get out of the way. They learn to move after a few mishaps. No need to be angry with them.

Good luck, having a dog on the trail is a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs?-12-18snow-043b.jpg  

Dogs?-feb-4-09-001b.jpg  

Dogs?-006b.jpg  

Dogs?-moab2009-061b.jpg  

Dogs?-023b.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have had 8 dogs (all from the pound) over the years bike with me. Without exception they have all loved biking. It fits their instinctive urges to run with the pack. However, dogs are like people in they have different physical abilities and limitations. Given you are in Tucson with a big breed who is designed for cold, I would be very careful running them in the heat. Some dogs will run until they drop, as I unfortunately found out. There has been good advice in this column take heed.

Once you get your dog out, expect them to go a bit crazy the first 1/2 mile or so, then they tend to follow the pack. I have been very successful teaching them to stay out of the way by getting the front tire to past their rear and gently turning into to them. They learn the bike is alpha and soon get off the trail if you are passing.

Take them out, start on a trail with no one else on it, don't push it too hard, be patient, enjoy. Just beware, once they catch on they don't want you to take the bike without them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    this is all the great info i was looking for guys thanks alot!

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    Whatever you do, dont teach your dog this:
    Wow, that is tragic video to watch. Do you know what happened to that dog?

I have really been enjoying getting my dog into riding, but I will be selective about when & where I take her. trail-building days and shorter XC/AM rides are great. Longer XC rides or actual FR/DH rides and I plan to leave her at home. I can already see it's pretty difficult to train dogs to NOT follow you off jumps or drops. Even if they clean stuff, landing drops can be really hard on a dogs joints.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Wow, that is tragic video to watch. Do you know what happened to that dog?

I have really been enjoying getting my dog into riding, but I will be selective about when & where I take her. trail-building days and shorter XC/AM rides are great. Longer XC rides or actual FR/DH rides and I plan to leave her at home. I can already see it's pretty difficult to train dogs to NOT follow you off jumps or drops. Even if they clean stuff, landing drops can be really hard on a dogs joints.
    I have no idea what happened to the dog. i just found this one day on PB. its actually the hardest time i've had watching a crash video. i cant imagine how i would feel if that was my dog.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Train your dogs before you take them riding and then it is easy to train them for the specifics of trails. Having them with you is fun as long as they don't make it less fun for any others that might be out there as well.

Dogs?-img_0042.jpg

Dogs?-img_0055.jpg

Dogs?-img_0071.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ that's some rut-tastic riding there!! Looks like a lot of fun
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    The search function is your friend. http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=9982433
    Dead link so I guess the search function didn't work that well for you either.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Dead link so I guess the search function didn't work that well for you either.
    Good burn,just 4.5 years too late.....

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Good burn,just 4.5 years too late.....
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yeah, guess it's my bad that MTBR doesn't archive and link ancient threads...keep trolling the archives and you could become the burn master.

Members who have read this thread: 0