Does your DH/FR fit into your 4dr sedan?- Mtbr.com
    New to Freeriding
    May 2007

Does your DH/FR fit into your 4dr sedan?

I drive an audi S4, and i was wondering if my small 16" kamicho would fit into the back seat. I know i'd have to remove atleast one wheel, but has anyone else had success fitting a bike into the back of their car? I dont have hte bike yet, but as soon as i get it im going to want to hit up the martinsville trails right around my area. how do you guys transport the bikes without a rack or truck?

Pro Crastinator
    if you're running a dual crown, forget about it. i can barely fit my play bike in the back seat with both wheels removed and tossed in the trunk. this is also in a bmw 330i which is roughly the same size as your car...

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    if you're running a dual crown, forget about it. i can barely fit my play bike in the back seat with both wheels removed and tossed in the trunk. this is also in a bmw 330i which is roughly the same size as your car...
    guess it wont fit then, since the fork that comes with the bike is a DC

is it easy to remove the wheels? specifically the rear..

When in doubt, go faster
    With a rack. But I'm always in a truck or station wagon when I have no rack (wich is how I roll, since I'm a dude) so Its all good.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have fit my Demo 8 into the back of my Dodge Neon with both wheels off.

Equal opportunity meanie
    It will fit - you can easily put the back seat down in those cars, remove the front wheel, put it in drive side and rear wheel first through the trunk. Perect fit, did that for months before I had a roof rack and I use a large frame with a DC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Front wheel off, passenger seat moved forward and tilted up. Should be no problem.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailside
    I how do you guys transport the bikes without a rack or truck?
    get a rack or truck...that is how we do it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    why not just buy Bobby's little fire red shuttle cart, its cute!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    does your back seats fold down in the S4?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit44777
    why not just buy Bobby's little fire red shuttle cart, its cute!
    follow along....that thing was wrecked.....do a search on it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I fit an Iron Horse 7.3 in the back of a '97 jetta. Once you learn how to fit your car to it, it isn't a problem. An S4 is a bit bigger, so I think you could pull it off if you put the passenger seat forward and put the rear wheel behind it. Put something down over the leather though...

es

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr
    I fit an Iron Horse 7.3 in the back of a '97 jetta. Once you learn how to fit your car to it, it isn't a problem. An S4 is a bit bigger, so I think you could pull it off if you put the passenger seat forward and put the rear wheel behind it. Put something down over the leather though...

es
    i know to put something over the back seat

anyway, i have a bike rack somewhere in the garage that im sure will work fine. when i get the bike the wheels wont be on it so i'll test fit it then. i dont think the seats fold, but the trunk is easily big enough to fit the front tire in (or both). i think if i pull the front seat up and turn the bars i will have no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    you have a 330i? Nice.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

@wishEMT
    two freeride hardtails without front wheels attached and a toolbox in the back seat/trunk of a 99 taurus, still have room for a 20" prolly too, and a passenger, beat that!
    Last edited by gwillywish; 05-24-2007 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gwillywish
    two freeride hardtails and a toolbox in the back seat/trunk of a 99 taurus, still have room for a 20" prolly too, and a passenger, beat that!
    Somehow I think the OP would be more careful with his S4.
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

@wishEMT
    that was a plug for a big three midsize four door, i love my taurus, except when changing spark plugs

mtbr member
    hmmm 300C SRT8...M5...AMG E55...I wish...I wish...
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Stray Bullet
    My KHS FR2000 would fit in the trunk of my 91 Toyota Tercel! Way better than a rack never had to worry about it falling off.

moaaar shimz
    When we have very little vehicle disposition we fit 1 in the trunk and 2 in the rack, plus 4 people and gear

The rack is the way to go... get a Yakima lil' joe its like 70 bucks for the trunk and its very safe

mtbr member
    Personally I can't say I would put a bike in the backseat of my car if it was a A4 or BMW.....scratch the leather and its over...I'd just buy a rack and save the hassle
    07' Wahoo Disk(Sold)
    08' Lemond Reno(Sold)
    Budget build SS in progress from spare parts...

JMU Cycling- "Just Huck It"

I wear two thongs
    Seats folded down blanket thrown down (Since an S4 is a car worth keeping nice) take the front wheel off and slide it in carefully fork first on its side with the bars turned so the front of the fork is facing the roof. I find this way keeps the car cleanest since all the oily bits are stuck in the trunk. This works well in my tiny neon with my FR bike.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

yaha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    (Since an S4 is a car worth keeping nice)
    just go for a roof rack. trunk rack or in your trunk will scuff up ur VERY sick car quick. could always modify a cheap trunk rack to keep it away from the paint

mtbr member
    i have an a4 and i can fit my diablo with the front wheel off and the seats down fine...
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

mtbr member
    we put 2 bikes in the back of a prius, take the front wheels off, fold 2 seats down and pile the bikes on top of each other, it works great, plus we can fit three people in the car and all the gear

Meh.
    I've had a Kona Coiler, my Addict, and my half completed Blk Mrkt chilling in my Malibu with some tools, parts, and gear.

mtbr member
    My SGS DH with a Dorado would not fit in the trunk of my Jetta with both wheels off, and I was barely able to squeeze it into the rear seat sans wheels with some tricky manuevering. I did it once and never again. Ripping leather with a pedal or something would really piss me off.

If you're driving an S4, you should have the coin to pop on a rack of some sort, right? Don't screw up the interior with your bike that will barely fit...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    My SGS DH with a Dorado would not fit in the trunk of my Jetta with both wheels off, and I was barely able to squeeze it into the rear seat sans wheels with some tricky manuevering. I did it once and never again. Ripping leather with a pedal or something would really piss me off.

If you're driving an S4, you should have the coin to pop on a rack of some sort, right? Don't screw up the interior with your bike that will barely fit...
    I'm in an '01 Jetta and my longass R9 with 28" bars fits with no clearance issues through the trunk with the front wheel off.

mtbr member
    I have the previous generation Jetta...I couldn't get the bars to fit with the turning radius of the Dorado.

I dunno, maybe I was just in a rush and not thinking through things scientifically...On the bright side, I no longer have a gigantic bike to cram in my car.

It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

dirt rules
    My Session 77 goes in my toyota camry no problem. Fold back seats forward, remove front wheel, shove bike in through trunk - rear wheel first. I'll drive to whistler that way too, I have a hitch rack, but like having my bike in the car. Much safer, drier, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i can get my 17" sunday into my 97 audi a4 and thats saying something, i can sure you can find a way to get it in there.

Members who have read this thread: 0