Does steamboat allow bikes on the gondola with DC forks?- Mtbr.com
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Does steamboat allow bikes on the gondola with DC forks?

on their site it says this under mtn bike policies:

1. Extreme, high-speed downhill mountain biking in NOT allowed on the mountain.

2. A 20 mph speed limit will be strictly enforced.

3. Mountain bike on designated trails only.

4. Mountain biking is prohibited on ski trails, Why Not Road (Rainbow Saddle down) or non-designated trails.

5. Riding on renegade trails is prohibited.

6. Bicycles designed and equipped primarily for high-speed downhill operation will NOT be allowed on the Gondola
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    last summer me and my friends took our full on downhill bikes up there, even a demo 9. the guys runnin the gondola loved us. they were checkin out our bikes and askin to ride them. i dont think they care at all. however, the lift ops told us to leave all of our pads, excepts for shin guards, at the bottom. they said that if hikers see you all armoured up then they probably will report you. but over all it was a great day, and we went as fast as we possibly could. i recommend the trail on the very left of the mountain. its called creek side or something like that.

Glad to Be Alive
    I think #6 would say it all
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude

4. Mountain biking is prohibited on ski trails, Why Not Road (Rainbow Saddle down) or non-designated trails.

6. Bicycles designed and equipped primarily for high-speed downhill operation will NOT be allowed on the Gondola
    are you talking about steamboat springs CO? if so, yes they do allow bikes with dc forks.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I think #6 would say it all
    Sounds vague to me - that rules out just about everything 'cept for unicyles and pixies.

mtbr member
    what an odd place.... I bet they have that just for liability... Sounds to me like the rules were made by a person who doesnt know much about bikes... To me this is a simple matter of having the right tools for the job.

ok chairlifted downhills... They want you to use a bike that's not "designed" for downhills so that way your fighting geometry, or getting bounced around on your full ridgid. Or is it having disc brakes the kicker?. what if your on a "long travel trail bike" does that still count?.... Isnt this more dangerous? and if it's not , well let's remove what little protection DH's have, armour... Is it me or does all this seem counter productive?

ok if it's DC that are the issue then how about if a person has a 6" duel crown say sherman slider they cant ride the place. But a person a 7 or 8" single crown is acceptable?

I mean if they want to try limiting speeds well that seems ressonable.... and staying on designated bike paths, well that also is a given....
    Wounldnt waivers, or daily insurance be a better recourse?

Doesnt sound like a place that jumps out and says "bring my buisness here"

I've never been to this place, so what do I know...
    Last edited by Felpur; 05-31-2005 at 02:21 PM.
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    yes i am talking aboot steamboat, CO.

potentially going there over the 17th -19th of june, that or keystone

Buckle Up
    yes i am talking aboot steamboat, CO.

potentially going there over the 17th -19th of june, that or keystone
    Just go to Keystone, they actually embrace downhill/freeride.
    <><

mtbr member
    oh yeah definatly go to keystone. they have way better riding.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    k so i am hoping to go to keystone. they open on the 16th of june, will that weekend be packed?

not like a ski-weekend packed but definately other people in the way.

normally you only have like 3-7 people in front of you for the lift, but it would most likely be worse on opening weekend.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebike1
    not like a ski-weekend packed but definately other people in the way.

normally you only have like 3-7 people in front of you for the lift, but it would most likely be worse on opening weekend.
    ok, how rocky is it there?

i am running 2.5 timberwolves with the thin casing and kevlar bead will i need somethin more substantial?

oh yea, i will be on a transition dirtbag ( 6inch) with a super t.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

i am running 2.5 timberwolves with the thin casing and kevlar bead will i need somethin more substantial?

that is a great bike for there, but you may want a beefier casing/full DH tire, at least in the rear. depending on what route you take, and how fast/hard you hit stuff, and how smooth you are......there can be lots of stuff to pinch on at keystone.

full Dh tires front and rear, if you have them. it'll save a lot of headaches by helping to prevent some pinch flats. hopefully.

been to keystone half a dozen times on my hardtail with DH tires, one pinch flat. looking forward to getting there this summer with my new fully instead!
    Last edited by scrublover; 05-31-2005 at 11:21 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

i would suggest swapping the tires for something else if you can. those don't grip the best on the conditions here in CO. they're better for wet.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebike1
    i would suggest swapping the tires for something else if you can. those don't grip the best on the conditions here in CO. they're better for wet.
    only other ones i really have are some panaracer fire fr 2.4s

if you can manage to, get a full DH tire at least for the back', and both if you can. it'll be much nicer there. either the panaracer, or the wtb would be ok in the front. i run the pana fr 2.4 as my everyday tire, but put on heavier DH tires for days like this when i'm not having to pedal uphill.

a full DH tire in back is very nice to have. run lower pressure, and not have to worry as much about pinch flats.

if you can't spring for a new tire, at least be sure to bring lots of spare tubes. or get a couple of DH tubes/the thickest tubes you can grab.
    Last edited by scrublover; 05-31-2005 at 11:51 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig

oh keystone is the place....very much fun
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

oh keystone is the place....very much fun

yep. though i want to hit vail this year. not been there yet. was at winter park last year twice; thankfully, i'd ridden to the top, and not paid for the lift. WP was anticlimactic as a "downhill" course.

as an aside: SMT, you another night shifter, or just always up surfing late?

gnar, brah
    What would you guys consider the best DH/FR park in Colorado? I've been thinking about going to Vail, but if there is something better out there...
    Trestle Bike Park

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    What would you guys consider the best DH/FR park in Colorado? I've been thinking about going to Vail, but if there is something better out there...
    I haven't been there, but Silverton Mountain is supposed to be really good. It's kinda off the beaten path though and it's not open very long either as the base sits at 10,400 feet.
    <><

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    I haven't been there, but Silverton Mountain is supposed to be really good. It's kinda off the beaten path though and it's not open very long either as the base sits at 10,400 feet.
    Website is www.silvertonmountain.com

Last summer Bender was out there building some crazy stuff and giving tours/clinics to people.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Cynical Bystander
    Here's a few good deals on dh tires from jenson...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...y+Dh+Tire.aspx

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ster+Tire.aspx
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    yep. though i want to hit vail this year. not been there yet. was at winter park last year twice; thankfully, i'd ridden to the top, and not paid for the lift. WP was anticlimactic as a "downhill" course.

as an aside: SMT, you another night shifter, or just always up surfing late?

Vail has a steeper run, but hopefully they got rid of the fireroad on the last part to the lift

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Vail has a steeper run, but hopefully they got rid of the fireroad on the last part to the lift
    ok well i do have SOME dh tires, i have an intense 2.7 front tire, and a s-works 2.7 rear. they are huge, and i could get a hold of a high roller 2.5 for the rear as well...how would that set up work?

all end up here someday

I'm sure DH bikes aren't allowed there, unless something has changed very recently. Ironically enough, they had a "sorta" DH race there a couple years back ( I think they called it the Stampede or something). I thought it was extremely cheezy for them to throw a DH race at a mountain where DH is shunned under normal circumstances....didn't these numnutz learn their lessons from banning snowboards?

I think I saw one large rock on the course... I guess it was still fun if you have a 44+ tooth chainring to get some decent speed going.

Like the others said, you'd probably be much more happy at Keystone. They have terrain ranging from rough to easy. This year they are supposed to be opening something new with a 20 foot drop. The newer trails at Vail are also really fun too.

I haven't been to Silverton yet, but as far as DH goes, I've been told it has the toughest lift served terrain in CO. They have some pictures of some of the trails on their website.
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    how would the combo of a kenda blue groove and nevegal work in keystone?

curious because the conditions here in wyoming are often dry and loose, i just rode down a trail today with lotsa switch backs and my timberwolves felt sketchy.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    how would the combo of a kenda blue groove and nevegal work in keystone?

curious because the conditions here in wyoming are often dry and loose, i just rode down a trail today with lotsa switch backs and my timberwolves felt sketchy.

no one?

no one?

i've not used either of those, but quite a few people around here do, and like them. should work fine.

mtbr member
    I think having a front DH tire takes priority over a rear DH tire. Both is best though.

I don't know about the Race, but I ride the team DH heavy duty version of the Timberwolf. I've found it to be an outstanding FRONT (sucks in rear) tire for ANY conditions. It even holds like a champ on dry hardpack and doesn't squirm like one would think.

I say take as many of your tires as you can with you and try different combos to see what works. It tooks me about $340 worth of failed tire combos until I found the right one. I have yet to find a better combo:

Timberwolf team DH 2.5 (actually 2.65) dual DNA--- Front
    Maxxis High Roller supertacky DH 2.5 ----- Rear

I also liked having the 2.5 Minion supertacky in the rear too, it's best at holding a straight line. The HighRoller is more of a tire for diggin into fast corners.

Stand back

sticky rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Timberwolf team DH 2.5 (actually 2.65) dual DNA--- Front
    Maxxis High Roller supertacky DH 2.5 ----- Rear

I also liked having the 2.5 Minion supertacky in the rear too, it's best at holding a straight line. The HighRoller is more of a tire for diggin into fast corners.

How long do the Minion SR's last on the rear? Seems concensus here is that they don't last long enough to justify the extra grip. Or don't you ride much rocks there?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

banned
    I have a place in steamboat and i wanted to bring my vp free with a super t, are you sure they would let me on i dont wanna bring it for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    How long do the Minion SR's last on the rear? Seems concensus here is that they don't last long enough to justify the extra grip. Or don't you ride much rocks there?

sheesh, yah. i tried one of those for a little bit last summer. key words: little bit. not worth the money, for how fast they wore down. i don't race, and don't need them for that.

i'll stick to non-SR after that experience and waste of money.

all end up here someday
    no one?
    If you have backup rubber, I'd bring it and wouldn't worry much about the brand. Keystone is pretty rocky in spots, it's not uncommon to destroy a tire there - and replacements aren't cheap in the local bike shop ( and selection is limited ). You might just plan on running a bit more tire pressure than usual.
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!