Does size really matter?- Mtbr.com
    Wez
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Does size really matter?

Yes this is a bike question. I may be able to get an 05 Kona Stinky at cost through a contact I made. One problem though, im 6' 200lbs and the bike is a 15.5" frame. I know that these bikes are pretty tough so im not really worried about breaking it. Just want to know what the disadvantages would be? I will be new to this type of riding.

pwn3rator
    no way, that iz waaay too small, you need to get like a 18" frame...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Renegade of Krunk
    Yeah, a 15.5" frame is going to be much too small. Definitely an 18" for you.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Ummm, maybe. It really depends what you want to do with it. A 17" would be MY ideal height at 6'0, but it really depends weather you plan on using it as a trail bike? Or a Dj bike? If you plan on mainly Dj type stuff id say its fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Disco-Superfly
    15.5'' ?? tiny.....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    15.5'' ?? tiny.....
    You're tiny.
    what were is gnarcal

Wez
    mtbr member
    May 2005

I new it!

I new that it was too small. Just wasnt sure do to the type of bike it is ie FR. And looking at the bike its very "robust" if you will. Wasnt to sure if I might be able to get away with it. Any who ive also got a line on an 04 Brodie Diablo (18") for $1999. Im just trying to convince myself to go behind my girlfriends back and buy it. He he. That would really put me in the dog house, but would be soooo worth it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez
    Yes this is a bike question. I may be able to get an 05 Kona Stinky at cost through a contact I made. One problem though, im 6' 200lbs and the bike is a 15.5" frame. I know that these bikes are pretty tough so im not really worried about breaking it. Just want to know what the disadvantages would be? I will be new to this type of riding.
    I am 6 foot and 210.....I thought a 18 inch was too small...so I rode a 20 inch and liked it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Ummm, maybe. It really depends what you want to do with it. A 17" would be MY ideal height at 6'0, but it really depends weather you plan on using it as a trail bike? Or a Dj bike? If you plan on mainly Dj type stuff id say its fine...
    so its ok when your knees hit the bars when you DJ? Stinkies have fairly short cockpits i believe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

A 15.5" would probably feel too small. You can go a little small for DH stuff; it makes the bike a little easier to throw around, but going too small starts to interfere with riding. The more trail riding you plan to do the bigger you're going to want your frame since it will allow you to stretch out more for better comfort and efficiency. Climbing on a bike that is too small gets to be a real pain. Look in the 17-19" range

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    so its ok when your knees hit the bars when you DJ? Stinkies have fairly short cockpits i believe
    Well, when i was getting my Stinky "back in the day" i had to decide between the 15 and the 17. I ended up going for the 17 because my mom "wanted me to be able to grow with it..." But at 5'10" the 15.5 felt really good...
    what were is gnarcal

Wez
    mtbr member
    May 2005

17" is the biggest

Just to a gander at the Kona website and they have the 15.5" as a M and 17" (the largest available) as an XXL. So, just want to double check that it is in fact too small in the opinion of you, the experienced riders. Hope that doesnt sound cocky, i really do want to know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez
    Just to a gander at the Kona website and they have the 15.5" as a M and 17" (the largest available) as an XXL. So, just want to double check that it is in fact too small in the opinion of you, the experienced riders. Hope that doesnt sound cocky, i really do want to know.
    We really wont be able to tell you. In the end you have to sit on both bikes and get whatever you feel most comfortable on...
    what were is gnarcal

Don't skid
    I'm just shy of 6 foot. I have an 18 inch Stinky and I occasionally hit my knees on the shifters. Hurts like a b!tch. 15.5 is way to small for pretty much anything you want to do on a Stinky (for someone your size). You might be able to get away with 17in, but it still might be cramped for trail riding.
    And in case you didn't know you can't really compare sizes from one manufacturer to another.

Disco-Superfly
    You're tiny.
    6'1" 185lbs.... since when was that tiny?
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    6'1" 185lbs.... since when was that tiny?
    No silly, i was talking about your other part...
    what were is gnarcal

jtd
    mtbr member
    Kona evidently changed their sizing for 05, so the comments people have posted are using the old sizing. An '05 15.5" has a 22.3 top tube which i believe is the same as the older Stinkys 17" frame.

So to answer your question... I am 5'-10" and had an older 17" and thought it fit me perfectly, but it could be small for you. Personal preference really. I know people who are 6' and like smaller bikes, and also people who don't. If you can get cost on it you really have nothing to lose. Buy it and try it out... if it is too small sell it for what you bought it for.

Jake

Cynical Bystander
    for Konas I might go a bit bigger than the 15" but if what jtd is saying is whats happening then it might not be too bad. My V10 has a 16" st but its completely different....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Disco-Superfly
    No silly, i was talking about your other part...
    So was I, it varies in lengths...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th