Does Full Face necessitate a neck brace?- Mtbr.com
    unrooted

Does Full Face necessitate a neck brace?

I'm riding more AM than FR or DH, but I feel like a full face is a good idea for some of the trails where if I screw up I'm going into rocks and trees.

So if the trails are bad, I mean fun enough for a full face then is a neck brace just as important?

Anyone used the EVS r4? $120 seems like a good value.

mtbr member
    its personal preference. I dont have one yet, but i will this spring. Others don't like the way they feel or dont think they protect from certain types of injury, so they forego them. I just have two friends who have broken their necks riding, and both were probably preventable had they been wearing neck braces.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    its personal preference. I dont have one yet, but i will this spring. Others don't like the way they feel or dont think they protect from certain types of injury, so they forego them. I just have two friends who have broken their necks riding, and both were probably preventable had they been wearing neck braces.
    There have also been vertebrae fractures on riders who WERE wearing neck braces, its kind of a grey area as to what impacts it can prevent injury and what impacts it can cause injury. It seems the ones with non-breakaway rear stabilizers can cause neck injury, putting pressure on the spine. I know my original Alpinestars BNS has a break away piece that can be replaced, and I know the Atlas brace has two stabilizers that rest on your shoulder blades rather than spine. Personally I haven't worn mine very much...problem being my old Fox V3R had the same shell as the moto V3, and had clearance issues causing me not to be able to look up (down the trail). Now that I have a D3, this issue is nonexistent and this season I hope to wear my brace more often. I imagine the EVS R4 is popular because of the price, do some google searches and see what you can find out about it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No you don't need a neck brace. One may help you in some crash or it may break your collarbone. You never know. You don't NEED one though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ftbjoe View Post
    No you don't need a neck brace. One may help you in some crash or it may break your collarbone. You never know. You don't NEED one though.
    In most cases, if it breaks your collarbone than it has done its intended job. It redistributes the force from your spine onto your collarbone. At least that seems to be the idea. Would you rather have a broken neck, or a broken collarbone? The question is how effective is it, I am sure that after it breaks your collarbone, that one can't help but wonder what would have happened if you weren't wearing one..i.e no broken neck AND no broken collarbone...You certainly don't NEED a brace though, when they first came out there seemed to be a spike in the amount being worn on the WC circuit, which now there seems to be less.

Glad to Be Alive
    I have the Leat DBX...I am getting the new Atlas.....

you don't have to wear a neck brace, but there recommended
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    the only problem i have with neck braces is that with some models if i think i hear a bad sound coming from the rear of my bike or another biker coming towards a merged trail, i can't turn my head enough to take a quick look and instead have to stop if i don't want to risk being injured. however, with that being said, i have not worn one in a long time, would never recommend not wearing one, and would recommend any of the models mentioned by riders here cause they know their stuff. i'll also say that they saved my @ss a few times back in the day when i used to race.
    "We'll wear our scars like medals of hope." ~ Atreyu

mtbr member
    I picked one up this winter after having a scary wreck off a elevated platform and landing on my head and shoulder... neck was sore for 2 weeks... scared the sh_t out of me. Also had a friend who wrecked at a BMX National and broke his neck and was paralyzed from waste down for a period of time. He now can walk with the assistance of a walker but he has to TELL his legs to move they don't just move on reflex if you understand what i mean.. So if the type of riding I am doing that day looks to be potential for neck injury then its full face/neck brace... (besides the wife feels better that way)

unrooted
    I can get the Omega brace from their website for $124 shipped: omegabrace.com

Anyone think that's worth dropping money I don't really have right now? Still not sure how often I'll actually wear a full face this year. . .but there is this one drop/roll down. . .

mtbr member
    I loved mine cause it actually cooled me off acting as a RAM air injection. However I didn't wear it at all last two years cause I can't see far enough down the trail. But I also have one of the first Leatt ever made which was actually for MX. Time to Upgrade

The reason I got the Leatt in the first place is I have a friend that works at one of the major hospitals here in Switzerland and the horror stories she has told me convinced me.

Your bike sucks
    As someone who actually broke their neck in a bike wreck (C5/C6), I don't wear one but would consider it. Would love to get one that I could use both moto and that occasional DH day. Lots of moto guys wear them (and that's where I really want it) and probably the only reason I don't have one is because I haven't had access to properly fit them (body size, w/ gear and helmet) to be sure everything is playing together nice. It absolutely sucks to break your neck, I got away relatively easy but it's something I'm reminded of daily.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Injured my C4 two months back. Compressed it on a crash. Don't know if a neck brace would have totally prevented it since it was axial compression. I'd probably ride one if I can afford it in the future.

Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Don't know if a neck brace would have totally prevented it since it was axial compression.
    My brother lawn darted himself into the face of a jump a number of years ago riding moto. Pretty much a perfect axial blow, and he said he felt the exact moment when the brace caught and cradled his head and neck, taking the weight of the fall. It compressed everything to an extent, but when the rims of the helmet contacted his brace, it completely stopped compressing. He told me that he is sure he would have crushed a vertebra or two had he not been wearing one. Broke his carbon Shoei and still hurt his neck and upper back, but he walked away. So yes, it can help with axial loads. At least it did in this instance.

Btw, good to see you're back riding. Keep safe and have fun!
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.