Does this dent suck that bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does this dent suck that bad?

What's up! I posted this in the Kona forum first so this is a second post. I figured the FR/DH guys will have some good opinions and advice. I ride an '07 coilair frame with a custom build and love it. This frame has been bombproof, reliable, and simply amazing for the type of riding I do. I weigh about 200lbs geared up.

Here is the reason for my post. I bashed my downtube on a boulder and have a dent. I have taken some photos to show you guys. Since the incident (my fault) I have ridden twice but very cautiously. I love this frame and don't want to see it go but I have to consider my safety.

What do you think? Is this okay?

Thanks

mtbr member
    i would not go near a frame with a dent that bad in it! its going to be some serious structural damage and strength concerns!

its time for a new frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Yes, that dent definitely sucks.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

V-Shaped Rut
    I wouldn't ride it.

Underskilled
    Do not ride it until repaired.

Easiest way, ask Kona for a front triangle, they probably will not cost that much (less than a medical bill anyway). If they do not have that kind any more, see if you can get a cheap upgrade.

Or if you are cheap like me, buy a carbon fibre kit and lay a LOT (good half cm) worth of CF on that area, problem solved.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Is it really that bad? Wouldn't a downtube be subjected to more tensional forces (as opposed to compression) from pedal forces/human weight/force from wheels, so in essence, a dent (although never ideal) in that location wouldn't collapse on itself. But I'm going by theory here. Your safety is far more important.

Mechanical engineers chime in!

Now with More Wood
    Nice home office/studio/workshop/man cave...

Get a new frame (or a replacement front triangle as mentioned). Your health is worth more than whatever that is going to cost you.

Glad to Be Alive
    I think picture three tells the bad news clearly....wouldn't ride it....Coiler frames can be had real cheap in the classifieds..

new front triangle and bearings is always a good Idea
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I have decided to retire my beloved coiler frame. I will keep everyone posted.

Iceman - thanks for the mancave props. I make the most out of my half of the garage!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The frame is definitely ruined....
    It's the "beer can theory" : Take an empty beer can and set it on the ground and you can just about stand on it without it crushing.... now take the same can and put a small dent in the side of it and it wont even support 5 lbs..
    I would not ride it.

switchback sculptor

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alldownhillfromhere
    The frame is definitely ruined....
    It's the "beer can theory" : Take an empty beer can and set it on the ground and you can just about stand on it without it crushing.... now take the same can and put a small dent in the side of it and it wont even support 5 lbs..
    I would not ride it.
    Try to pull apart that beer can.

Down tube is loaded differently. Basically tension only, except for the fork causing a moment at the headtube, so you don't have to worry about the dent crushing in on it's self.

I wouldn't ride that bike though. You're way more likely to develop cracks there and fail catastrophically.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989

Down tube is loaded differently. Basically tension only, except for the fork causing a moment at the headtube, so you don't have to worry about the dent crushing in on it's self.

I wouldn't ride that bike though. You're way more likely to develop cracks there and fail catastrophically.
    when you hit a square edge hit the wheel tries to rotate round the pivot of lease resistance, a half crumpled part of the downtube will be the bit to fail under any proper abuse.
    Last edited by bxxer rider; 05-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    ]

mtbr member
    May 2011
    to save scrapping a loved bike why not find a local welder with a tig machine and get a patch welded over the top it may not make DH possible but still keep the bike useable

ps make sure its a decent welder type bloke and not just some guy with the gear

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    when you hit a square edge hit the wheel tries to rotate round the pivot of lease resistance, a half crumpled part of the downtube will be the bit to fail under any proper abuse.
    Strong signature to thread relevance ratio

Underskilled
    You can't weld Al properly for less than it would cost to replace the frame.

The advice above was spot on, search online for spare parts, you could pick up a coiler second hand for nothing.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

moaaar shimz

This man know's his sh1t.

Remember slingshot bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Yes i know.... my point was that a tubular structure's strength is greatly reduced when it is dented... I was just using that as an example so people would understand, that's all.
    The point is, the frame is ruined.

Underskilled
    That would be another fix. saw out the bottom tube, and replace with a cable, problem gone =-)

mtbr member
    Update...

I spoke with my LBS (Kona dealer) and they gave Kona a call. They offered me a replacement Stinky Six frame. I won't disclose the offer but after shopping around online I realized I can get that price on that frame without the help of Kona. At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Not psyched at all...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax View Post
    Update...

I spoke with my LBS (Kona dealer) and they gave Kona a call. They offered me a replacement Stinky Six frame. I won't disclose the offer but after shopping around online I realized I can get that price on that frame without the help of Kona. At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Not psyched at all...
    tell them you will take your business elsewhere if thats the best they can do.
    ]

Glad to Be Alive
    Update...

Not psyched at all...
    yeah it sucks....kona did the same thing to a local rider....and he was original owner
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    It's not really the obligation of Kona to offer the best price on a crash replacement like this, it isn't their fault the bike was dented. Honestly they shouldn't be in price competition with dealers in this instance.

It sucks when you ruin an otherwise perfectly fine bike, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to cheap replacement. Honestly, anything less than retail is generous.

If you loved the bike why don't you just buy another frame for ~$500 (seems to be the going rate)? You'll have a bunch of backup parts too.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

shredder
    i dislike kona. go with another company

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It's not really the obligation of Kona to offer the best price on a crash replacement like this, it isn't their fault the bike was dented. Honestly they shouldn't be in price competition with dealers in this instance.

It sucks when you ruin an otherwise perfectly fine bike, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to cheap replacement. Honestly, anything less than retail is generous.

If you loved the bike why don't you just buy another frame for ~$500 (seems to be the going rate)? You'll have a bunch of backup parts too.

I know it isn't the obligation of Kona to offer me anything. I just kept reading about Kona's great crash-replacement policy so I had my hopes up. I've been keeping an eye out for another '07 frame but no luck so far. Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Update...

Not psyched at all...
    Yeah the online retailers that are selling it cheaper most likely purchased complete bikes on close out and then parted them out. They only need a make a little bit on the frame, the other parts they sell will make up for it.
    Whats this line for?

Members who have read this thread: 0