Does bike weight matter for DH?- Mtbr.com
    NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Does bike weight matter for DH?

I'm considering getting a DH bike for park days (Mammoth and Northstar in CA). I notice that aluminum bikes are around 4-6 lbs heavier than carbon bikes. Is this a big deal for lift assisted riding?

I'm looking at the YT Tues bikes (AL and CF), which are pretty much the same except for frame material (and weight).

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want a DH bike lighter than low 30's. I think a little weight makes them more stable. Mid 30's is probably perfect.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    I don't think weight on a DH bike matters anywhere near as much as other disciplines where you are climbing under your own power.

As streetdoctor noted, a bike with a bit more weight tends to be a bit more stable and less likely to get pinballed around in the chunk.

There was a world cup DH pro (I forget which one) a couple years back who was adding lead weights to his bike (down low to lower CG).

The other sport I follow is motocross/supercross. Looking at how those guys (many of which are pretty small guys) can throw around a 250 lb motorcycle, I always think to myself if I can't throw around a 40 lb bike, then the problem is my own weakness not the weight of the bike.

I'm not saying it isn't easier to throw around a lighter bike in the air, so if your park riding is going to be primarily flow/jump trails a lighter bike might be a benefit. I like my 165mm travel bike better for those types of trails until the jumps (or braking bumps) get really big. For steep double black tech, I'd rather be on my heavier DH bike any day (obviously for more reasons that just weight).
    No dig no whine

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks guys. What you say makes sense. I'm new to DH, so o don't know how the "lightest weight at all costs" ideology plays into this type of riding.

So I guess an aluminum frame bike with a coil shock would be fine?

May The Force Be With You
    for racing, yes.. if you have a heavier bike going to the gym can help
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    I started this season on an aluminum bike (Giant Glory) and bought a carbon bike (Devinci Wilson) about halfway through the season that's about ~7lbs lighter. I definitely notice the difference and prefer the lighter bike.

Like all things MTB, it really depends on your budget. Don't break the bank going for the carbon frame, but at the same time the frame is the most expensive thing to upgrade later on. There's nothing wrong with an alum bike (and those YTs are great) but for me personally I like riding a carbon setup a lot better. I have carbon wheels as well and the whole package certainly seem to help, especially later in the season when braking bumps are everywhere.
    Last edited by Seventh-777; 10-28-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback.

always licking the glass
    The only time I feel the weight is putting the bike on the lift at the end of the day when Iím tired. Otherwise Iím perfectly happy on a 40+ lb sled
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

Ricky DH
    I ride an aluminum Intense M16 that I had custom built. I went with aluminum over carbon for a few reasons. I actually do prefer a bit heavier bike, it just feels better in the chunder, and for a high speed crash (which I have been known to do) I just liked the thought of an aluminum frame bouncing off the rocks instead of a carbon frame. I know, I know, they build airplanes out of the stuff, but I've seen and heard about way too many people cracking the carbon fames and seat tubes on rocks. All of this being said, when I upgrade next time, my aluminum options are going to be limited.