Do single ply tires have a place?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do single ply tires have a place?

I was riding some new trail in so cal today, and botching most of it since it was all new to me and I managed to pop my rear tire. I'm pretty sure I knew exactly when it happened, which was on a very small rocky edge I came down on and heard a pop/snap sound like when you kick a rock in your tire. I was running 45 psi.

Sure enough, a minute later I was down in the first turn.

I'm running 2.35 minion DHF/DHR which are single ply tires, with normal inner tubes. My LBS convinced me to go this route based on the fact that I do some light climbing, and the single ply 2.35's are way lighter. Sure they're lighter, but can they actually hold up for light DH use? I'm 175lbs and ride a Foes Fly. I need more traction but I'm afraid to drop pressure for fear of MORE flats.

Bike Ninja |||
    They are great for XC... not so much for DH or FR. Even further, i'd question them on a serious AM bike. My favorite was to go is to run UST tires. even if your are still running tubes. thick sidewall, but not as stiff as the DH casing ones. They are about as heavy as the DH casing ones if I remember correctly.

get yourself some Specialized Pin'it 2.5 umma gummys.. never look back (btw I ran them on my foes when I had it.)
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Look at the time!
    sure they do. It all depends on what kind of trails you ride. On most trails out here in the PNW there are hardly any rocks - i could easily get away with single ply front and rear.
    Since I'm too lazy to change tires for the occasional rockgarden DH trail, I ride single ply front, dual ply rear (both minion 2.5" - had to buy the front tire in germany, since maxxis doesn't sell 2.5 inch single ply tires in the US for some reason).

Haven't had a flat with that setup since 06.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    sure they do. It all depends on what kind of trails you ride. On most trails out here in the PNW there are hardly any rocks - i could easily get away with single ply front and rear.
    Since I'm too lazy to change tires for the occasional rockgarden DH trail, I ride single ply front, dual ply rear (both minion 2.5" - had to buy the front tire in germany, since maxxis doesn't sell 2.5 inch single ply tires in the US for some reason).

Haven't had a flat with that setup since 06.
    I hope you knocked on wood

agreed on that set up. a lot of people do that out here in rocky Colorado as well.

EastBaySteez
    I rode a timberwolf at north star all season. Did not pinch or flat that baby once.
    But then again Im 120 with gear. Being skinny rocks.

If your not heavy you can ride um.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    I can't help but wonder if its something I'm doing wrong, because I didn't even have much speed when it happened.

Obviously I'm not about to drop 60lbs so I can ride without flats, so what is my best bet for riding the rocky california stuff and still staying light?

The problem is the stuff is just so loose you almost have to run a 2.7 front at least, I wasn't hooking up at all with my skinny tires.

StraightOuttaCompton
    i would just go with some dual ply tires. They are heavier, but you won't get any flats. thats for sure.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

EastBaySteez
    I run a 2.7 Minion up or a 2.5 Kenda Nevegal in the front.
    and a 2.5 Mobster in da back.
    No problems in the cali rocks
    Gamut
    Team Evil

moaaar shimz
    I rock dual back, single front

Bike Ninja |||
    if you want bigger and more bad a$$ tires, i've said it before and i'll say it again. Specialized Pin'it 2.5 umma gummy tires. Ran tubelss. say goodbye to pinch flats, and say hello to ungodly traction, that outlasts minons substantially.

moaaar shimz
    Maxxis > All

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    I was riding some new trail in so cal today, and botching most of it since it was all new to me and I managed to pop my rear tire. I'm pretty sure I knew exactly when it happened, which was on a very small rocky edge I came down on and heard a pop/snap sound like when you kick a rock in your tire. I was running 45 psi.

Sure enough, a minute later I was down in the first turn.

I'm running 2.35 minion DHF/DHR which are single ply tires, with normal inner tubes. My LBS convinced me to go this route based on the fact that I do some light climbing, and the single ply 2.35's are way lighter. Sure they're lighter, but can they actually hold up for light DH use? I'm 175lbs and ride a Foes Fly. I need more traction but I'm afraid to drop pressure for fear of MORE flats.

If you want dual ply tires i could sell you a set of brand new minions that I have lying around, they're 3c and 2.7 front 2.5 rear.

Glad to Be Alive
    yeah 1 ply...but at 45 pounds I think it was just the one in a thousand shot....keep riding them....if you continue to have problems (I don't think likely) then switch
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    DH tubes.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    DH tubes.
    Road tubes at 100PSI
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Do DH tubes do anything but weigh you down and prevent every 9th thorn from puncturing? Seems like marketing...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Road tubes at 100PSI
    Sniffer
    Formotion Products

Pivotal figure
    Single's are OK on the front, no luck with them on back though. I run the same setup as tacabuya, single front and dual rear but my rear is a tubeless version. That keeps the weight reasonable and minimizes pinchflats. I weigh approx. 185 and am able to run 35-40 lbs. in back no problem.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    have you ever compared a DH tube to a std tube...?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    If you want dual ply tires i could sell you a set of brand new minions that I have lying around, they're 3c and 2.7 front 2.5 rear.
    how much

squish is good
    I've got seperate wheelsets for XC and DH and run both tubeless. The XC set has single ply 2.35 Kenda Nevegals, never pinch flat anymore. When I was running tubes I was using 1.9-2.2 width tubes and it would pinch flat regularly unless I ran them at around 45 psi. At 45 they were bulletproof though, yeah, sounds like a fluke to me.

DH tubes are alot thicker, I ran them for a while and they never pinch flatted, even when running at 20 psi or lower. They are really really heavy though!

Glad to Be Alive
    Do DH tubes do anything but weigh you down and prevent every 9th thorn from puncturing? Seems like marketing...
    they are a lot thicker
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    how much

what do you think is a fair price?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    what do you think is a fair price?
    15 bucks each

moaaar shimz
    At 15 bucks each send them to me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    they keep you from getting pinch flatted as easily since the tube is thicker than standard. this is good for places with rockgardens, or as we say in the good old USA, "rock shacks." like, "imma shred through this rock shack right quick little chillun baby."

mtbr member
    Funny, I seem to have the worst luck with the heavier DH tubes.
    I have been using specialized AM tubes with good results. I run a Panaracer Fire FR singleply on the rear and it holds up well and flats rarely at 40psi. I have been running doubly ply Maxxis Mobster 2.7's on the front but just cause they were cheap and sticky.

I met a guy on the trail who had a a big slash on his rear tire running tubeless with slime of some kind. He didn't have a spare tube and he only had a compressed air cartridge which promptly ran out because the tire wouldn't seal. I only had a schrader tube and his rim could only use a presta tube. He was SOL and had to walk his bike a long way back to the trailhead.
    So always carry a spare tube and a hand pump when running tubeless!

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I have popped so many single ply rears even with DH tubes. I recently went to DHR 2.5 rear and DHF 2.7 front, with DH tubes and they will never pop
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    have you ever compared a DH tube to a std tube...?
    Yes, a DH tube weighs as much as a house, and a decent XC tube weighs about 150g.

mtbr member
    I've been trying to find a way out of this compromise as well since the trails that have gnarly downhills that are likely to knock your tires up a bit are the ones that have huge climbs at the start.

Is complete UST the answer?
    I was thinking of a bombproof wheelset that would still be quite light (including tires). Thought about Mavic 819's or Stans Flows infront with 823's in the back on Hopes and go all tubeless. 2.5 front and 2.3 rear. The only tubeless tires that I can think of that are proven the michelins which are expensive and hard to get here and the Maxxis minion UST's which are also expensive and weigh a ton!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Double Post!
    Last edited by Quarashi; 11-19-2007 at 04:41 AM.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Im a Cowboy
    Single ply high rollers here...pinched em every ride for 2 weeks...fitted maxxis DH tubes...no problems since, I am lightweight hard rider..there are rocks in my rides
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mavic 823 is pretty tough, not the lightest, but not as heavy as some suggest with the eyelets. I've run 823's for a while now & they are still good & straight.

I'm toying with going for 819's, they are circa 510g with the eyelets (weighed them up myself) so offer a good weight saving over the 823. I'm pretty smooth so they should hold up well.

You may struggle with a 2.5 on an 819 rim, its way too wide. 2.35" is alright though.

Interesting about the Michelins - you are aware that DH16 2.2"s are nearly 200g's heavier than a 2.35" Maxxis UST? They don't seat anywhere near as well as Maxxis either.

sixsixtysix
    I run single ply Maxxis Minions on my AM bike out here in the sharp rocks of Arizona with basically no problems other than the occasional burping. I run them converted to tubeless using Stans, so even if they do puncture or tear, they seal back up right away.

I gave up on tubes on all my bikes last year, they are just a pain in the a$$ with all the rocks, at 1 point I had 10 flats in 1 week. Since going tubless I have had 1 flat in a year on a total of 4 bikes.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've been having good luck running single ply Maxxis ADvantages in 2.4 setup tubeless. I've torn one sidewall in a freak incident but otherwise they have been fine. The 60a durometer is a nice balance between traction and rolling/wear resistance. It's pretty darn rocky here in UT so tires tear up fast when they're not up to the job. Where I was blowing out Kendas constantly, the ADvantages are serving me well for days of long climbs mixed with DH style descents.

mtbr member
    Err sweet intense by the way.

how tall are the advantage compared to minion 3c,i did try a minion 2.35 but just to narrow and skitery and the 3c just to heavy,i do know that the 3c minion is taller than my buds high roller.

i did have maxxis dh tubes but just so heavy so i have put maxxis freeride tubes in and 40 psi which is helping the rolling resistance just the tyres are killing me on the ups.

ride hard take risks
    WTB Dissent rolls fast & hook up.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    dogonfr,are they a lot better than timberwolfs i tried them to but the tall skinny side lugs folded under my weight at speed and made me wash out on every corner.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    dogonfr,are they a lot better than timberwolfs i tried them to but the tall skinny side lugs folded under my weight at speed and made me wash out on every corner.
    Better than the TimberWolf is a tough call because other than the weight the T-Wolf is awesome. The Dissent is 2nd by a tad, im using the Kevlar with DH tubes at 24-26psi depending on conditions. Never had a problem with them folding under my 185lb weight. I also tried the Prowler & that tire slid all over the place in the loose like being on marbles but was decent in the moist giving a little slide then hook up.
    Formotion Products

EastBaySteez
    Better than the TimberWolf is a tough call because other than the weight the T-Wolf is awesome. The Dissent is 2nd by a tad, im using the Kevlar with DH tubes at 24-26psi depending on conditions. Never had a problem with them folding under my 185lb weight. I also tried the Prowler & that tire slid all over the place in the loose like being on marbles but was decent in the moist giving a little slide then hook up.
    I ran a Timberwolf at Pacifica today regular tube at alittle over 30psi in the back, no pinchflats .
    Im the deffinition of a Hack. I find a line, Point and shoot on a 7" Freeride bike

Example: Look at that knee If you go frame by frame you can see that im on the VERY top of the burm.... draging the brake so I dont slam into the tree
    (sorry for the obscenity)
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i5.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/132132/100_0759.flv"></embed>
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Look at the time!
    Err sweet intense by the way.

how tall are the advantage compared to minion 3c,i
    Advantage 2.4" are the same size as minion 2.5". If anything, they are slightly bigger.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I ran a Timberwolf at Pacifica today regular tube at alittle over 30psi in the back, no pinchflats .
    Im the deffinition of a Hack. I find a line, Point and shoot on a 7" Freeride bike

Example: Look at that knee If you go frame by frame you can see that im on the VERY top of the burm.... draging the brake so I dont slam into the tree
    (sorry for the obscenity)
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i5.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/132132/100_0759.flv" height="361" width="448">
    T-Wolves are front tires not very good on the rear.
    Formotion Products

EastBaySteez
    T-Wolves are front tires not very good on the rear.

Everytime I put one up front it washes constantly, sucks in the wet balls in mud.
    In the back it just sounds like a tank tread!

Well I went back to the old set up Minion up front 9o9 FRO in the rear
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    motormonkeyr6 thats what i found with the timberwolf aswell,but i am 210 so dont help i guess.

lelebebbel thanks will have a look at them.

oh and that vid aint working for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I weigh 215 & run single ply tires with Kenda medium duty 1.2mil thick tubes. Run my 2.4 / 2.25 tires @ 32-40 psi on a minimum 28mm rim. Run a standard tube (less than .9mil), rim less than 28mm or pressure below 30 and it's pinch flat city. For DH I run DH tubes 2.0mil with 2 ply tires - ran single ply tires & DH tubes but it is hit n' miss for pinch flatting.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=konut]
    how tall are the advantage compared to minion 3c,i did try a minion 2.35 but just to narrow and skitery and the 3c just to heavy,i do know that the 3c minion is taller than my buds high roller.
    QUOTE]

Can't compare to Minions but the ADvantage is as tall as the Intense 2.5 DH tires I had once.

mtbr member
    normanpcn do you have advantage and how do you find it.

More Riding Less Internet
    I run dual ply on the DH bike. 2.5 Minion DHF front and rear.

I run 2.35 single ply mobsters on the slopestyle/slalom bike.

Kyle,

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    normanpcn do you have advantage and how do you find it.
    I think it brakes and climbs well and corners very well. I am timid and these things gave confidence. My bike came with OEM ADvantage which have a wire bead and I wonder if they have the 60a rubber or a harder OEM rubber like 70a. I only question this since I got a new one to replace one which I cut.

The sidewalls are thin but this is a known factor going in. My current heavy DH tire favorite is the Specialied Pinn'it. I live in dry, dusty, rocky, hard pack SoCal where the "hard pack" is so hard it is really more like light tan asphault. The ADvantage is my current fav for AM lighter weight setup.

Members who have read this thread: 0