Do Schwalbe Magic Marys just wear out fast???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do Schwalbe Magic Marys just wear out fast???

Hey folks, a week ago I installed a new Magic Mary on the front of my bike (Evo, Snakeskin, Trailstar 3 compound). Anyway, it's a hell of a tire for sure. Traction in these parts is dismal right now, as we have not had any rain + 90* heat plus wind for weeks on end. Most trails are very loose and often loose over hardpack. But I was impressed with how well this thing hooked up.

However, I've done maybe four rides now (today might have only been the third, actually), and already the cornering lugs are starting to break away. I ride purely backcountry trails, not lift-accessed terrain where I could understand some tire damage after just a few days. But I've probably only descended 4000 feet total on this tire.

After my ride today, it got noticeably worse, especially on one side. There was one occasion where I drifted both tires for a ways around an off camber corner. Now, I'm a fairly fast rider, but not ridiculous fast. I can ride pretty fast through gnar but I don't push it in the corners like I used to. I don't think I'm putting any unwarranted demands on my tires the way extremely fast guys do.

So, is this a pattern with these tires? I must say, all of the Maxxis tires I've had have held up way better than this in the same conditions.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.

mtbr member
    That's been my experience with every Schwable tire I've tired - they're great for one ride, after that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pretty much par for the course for Schwalbe rubber, especially Trailstar and softer compounds. Cornering knobs get eroded and undercut, and then the knobs rip off.

I've personally found Schwalbe tires in general to be incompatible with my wallet and most terrain. You get gobs of traction when they're new, but there isn't the durability to ride them as general-use trail tires.

mtbr member
    Well, that pretty much clinches it for me; I won't be purchasing any Schwalbe tires in the future. Thankfully this tire was a Christmas gift last year (from somebody in the industry who probably got a good deal on it). I think it would have held up better earlier in the season when the ground was softer, but still....they're like $90/tire retail....how do they justify those prices???

Honestly, I'm glad I kept my year-old Highroller II -- because by the looks of it, it'll be in better shape than this Schwalbe in just a few weeks. And its performance was just as good as the Schwalbe when it was new...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Every Schwalbe I've ridden is pretty much a race run only tire unless the trails are muddy or deep soft dirt. On hardpack or loose over hard where you're drifting the bike around corners, you can write off the tires in a single afternoon of riding and you don't even need a chairlift to do it.

For everyday use, stick to Maxxis or try the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 if you don't mind a heavier tire that has the best cornering grip ever. The Michelins wear about as well as a Maxxis and they're a bit more affordable for me in Canada.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    Hey folks, a week ago I installed a new Magic Mary on the front of my bike (Evo, Snakeskin, Trailstar 3 compound). Anyway, it's a hell of a tire for sure. Traction in these parts is dismal right now, as we have not had any rain + 90* heat plus wind for weeks on end. Most trails are very loose and often loose over hardpack. But I was impressed with how well this thing hooked up.

However, I've done maybe four rides now (today might have only been the third, actually), and already the cornering lugs are starting to break away. I ride purely backcountry trails, not lift-accessed terrain where I could understand some tire damage after just a few days. But I've probably only descended 4000 feet total on this tire.

After my ride today, it got noticeably worse, especially on one side. There was one occasion where I drifted both tires for a ways around an off camber corner. Now, I'm a fairly fast rider, but not ridiculous fast. I can ride pretty fast through gnar but I don't push it in the corners like I used to. I don't think I'm putting any unwarranted demands on my tires the way extremely fast guys do.

So, is this a pattern with these tires? I must say, all of the Maxxis tires I've had have held up way better than this in the same conditions.

Not with the Mary. Mine has been up front all season. That included a week out in Moab where you'd think the slick rock would chew them apart.

My other Schwalbe tires however did a quick death.

mtbr member
    I'm intrigued by the Michelin you recommended. I used to run these Michelin DH tires back in the day because I got a good deal while working in a shop. They were similar to those Wild Rock'r2s, but not quite the same. Looking up some prices, they are indeed more affordable than Maxxis' offerings. I see there are two compounds, which one would you recommend for someone who doesn't race, but likes pretty high performance (that lasts as long as possible). The Highroller IIs I was running were phenomenal in terms of performance vs. longevity. Maybe I should just stick with them...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I find the MMs pace star to be the same as the Hans Dampf.. They wear quickly to the eye but hold up for a season. I feel like the that damage that occurs immediately doesn't affect the performance until the tires wear more than half way down. That hurts the wallet but I by far feel the most confident on those tires. I carry the most speed, ride the most TTFs, kill it around the berms, basically have the best days. So I don't care about price or life when the performance feels like cheating.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Schwalbe's compounds are very soft, comparatively. They do have a "park" model for the MM that is less than $40 and a harder compound.

Unfortunately they do not list their compounds anywhere so all we have are the names to go by.. "pace star" is their hardest, "trail star" is the middle road, and "vert star" is the softest. The vert star is literally a 1-day tire, I'd be very surprised to see a real rider put more than a full day on one of those...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Schwalbe's compounds are very soft, comparatively. They do have a "park" model for the MM that is less than $40 and a harder compound.

Unfortunately they do not list their compounds anywhere so all we have are the names to go by.. "pace star" is their hardest, "trail star" is the middle road, and "vert star" is the softest. The vert star is literally a 1-day tire, I'd be very surprised to see a real rider put more than a full day on one of those...
    I find the cheap MMs perform well on dry and dusty trails in the middle of summer. Rock the soft tires when the rocks and roots get wet.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Perpetual Hack
    I had a set of Magic Mary SG. Vertstar front, Trailstar rear.
    They lasted me a season of lift service - so about a dozen days.
    The side knobs start to under-rip first, then the middle will do the same, then they chunk.

I now have a set of the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 Advanced.
    So far I am quite happy with them, they roll faster and the side knobs just won't let go.
    I have two days on them, and still have whiskers and not a single rip or chunk.
    This is riding on moon dust clay over shale. - impressed.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I'm intrigued by the Michelin you recommended. I used to run these Michelin DH tires back in the day because I got a good deal while working in a shop. They were similar to those Wild Rock'r2s, but not quite the same. Looking up some prices, they are indeed more affordable than Maxxis' offerings. I see there are two compounds, which one would you recommend for someone who doesn't race, but likes pretty high performance (that lasts as long as possible).
    If you're not racing or riding in wet conditions, go with the harder Gum-X compound. As long as it's dry it still grips better than most other brand's soft compound DH tires. My only complaints with the Wild Rock'r2 is that it's a bit heavy and it clogs up too quickly when the ground is wet & muddy.

banned
    Feb 2012
    they wear faster but grip like glue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    If you're not racing or riding in wet conditions, go with the harder Gum-X compound. As long as it's dry it still grips better than most other brand's soft compound DH tires. My only complaints with the Wild Rock'r2 is that it's a bit heavy and it clogs up too quickly when the ground is wet & muddy.
    This is confusing.
    Because from Michelin site:
    The MICHELIN MAN advises:
    For optimal performances, the MICHELIN MAN recommends you use mainly a combination of the Gum-X Series on the front and the MAGI-X Series on the rear.
    Someone has their facts wrong. Not saying who does. I'll likely order one of each if I go with the WR2s. Although the tires would be going on a mt bike rather than a DH bike. Still a good thread.

I use 26x2.35 Magic Mary SG VS TLE on my DH bike. The LB rims don't like wire bead tires. Or I'd be running Maxxis DHRIIs front and rear in various compounds.

How does the Maxxis Shorty compare to the MM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoronnie View Post
    they wear faster but grip like glue.
    They wear at least 10 X faster than all the Maxxis tires I've used over the years. And the grip is no better than a Highroller II or Minion. So really, after this experience, I wouldn't pay $20 for another Schwalbe tire...

Like, literally, the knobs were breaking off after one ride. That's bull****, and they need to address that issue if they want to keep charging $80+ per tire.

Glad if they work for some people, but they don't work with my bank account...