Do I really NEED one?- Mtbr.com
    ROBOTIC RESERVE

Do I really NEED one?

I’m running my Turner Highline with an e13 DRS and I don’t like how it works. Seems to have a lot of drag and makes a bunch of racket. Do you really need to run a chain guide with this kind if bike??

Keep in mind I don’t really do any jumping but I will do some smaller drops at times, but the most of my riding is flying down chunk and long shuttle runs (soCal). If I don’t need it this junk is coming off.

Also, if you think I should be running one, is there anything else that you might suggest?

Looking for something that I don’t have to worry about that will take a 22t - 36t Combo
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Petty and weak
    XTR front derailleur on my Scythe does the trick, and it's fairly similar to the Highline. I very rarely have the chain skip on the front, and I like the free action of the chain without a guide.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    XTR front derailleur on my Scythe does the trick, and it's fairly similar to the Highline. I very rarely have the chain skip on the front, and I like the free action of the chain without a guide.
    I have a SRAM x9 Currently, You think this might be fine?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

I can ride a two-wheeler
    If you can find it:
    Wicked Racin dualrailleur

......also, you might want to try a pulley made out of a different compound; I think the drs comes with a soft rubber pulley, but I think e-13 also makes a hard rubber pulley which rolls better

As to your original question: Yes, I think a chain guide is necessary on a bike like that.

maker of trail
    If you are running single ring up front, an inner guide ring might be enough...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running a drs with a 26 36 dual combo and have no issues with it at all. There is only a slight noise and no noticable drag. Are you sure it is set up right?

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Hey Snake,
    The DRS should NOT have a lot of drag when spinning the cranks. Granted, you will have the slightest amount more than running nothing at all, but the only time you should be able to notice is when the bike is in the stand. Is your chain rubbing on any part of the guide excessively? Is your roller still spinning freely? If the bearing feel chunky, it is fairly simple to service the bearings to get any buildup out.

Feel free to reply and I'll see what we can do to get your guide running smoothly again.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    theres some sweet cs! another reason i like e-13 stuff. and yes, id run a guide if i were the op.

allow me a slight derail please. any plans to reintroduce the heim? thats a sweet peice with a roller upgrade. never cared for the tapered stock unit they speced.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Not the same bike, but I have a VPfree with two rings that I climb. In three seasons at the Shore and Whistler I've never needed a guide. Not running one probably costs some cool factor but my chain doesn't jump the chainring. I ride this setup at Whistler and the Shore probably 15 days a year.

If you try it, I think the Sram derailleurs can get better tension on the pulley which helps the chain stay put. That said, I've ridden a crap-old, long cage ESP 9.0 this season and even it has held the chain fine.

I think whether the bike is set up with near-perfect chainline makes a difference, also the stiffness of the rear triangle.

My buddy rides a Nomad and he put a guide on this year because the jumping was bugging him.

"Do you need one?" Depends - if your chain's jumping the ring more than you like you prob'ly do, if not, don't sweat it.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just installed an E13 DRS on my Dirtbag and it ran flawless my first weekend on it at Sunrise Ski Resort. No binding, or dragging or much noise for that matter. I couldn't be happier. Besides that, the new bash guards look sick

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Blackspire Stinger is another cheap, simple option - sounds like your DRS isn't set up right though.

Is flexy
    Is is like banging a hooker with out a rubber. Sure they aren't 100% necessary and it feels better without but it isn't worth the risk. As other have said though, sounds like something is screwy with you DRS.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

Committed
    The perfect complement to the Highline, highly recomended.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Blackspire Stinger

I run a Blackspire Stinger on my HL and have had no issues. Cheap and easy to find.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    wow! nice lookin rig man!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Glad to Be Alive
    even on small drops the chain will pop off....rockgardens will do the same too.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    All it takes is one time having that chain fall off when you need to crank on the pedals and you'll never ride without a chain guide again.

I ran a DRS for a while but after destroying the rubber roller for the second time went to the stinger and haven't looked back. Costs about the same as the little rubber piece and easily works as well. Maybe its a little louder but it doesn't self destruct. Not sure why the DRS was falling apart...e13 told me tri-flow is fine for the system and that's all I use.

ready to ride
    Id just as soon be safe than sorry i messed up my ankle pedaling away from a small drop before i had a guide. Now i run an mrp lrp and its great.

Setting it up was a pain but i havnt had to mess with it since.
    N* = <3 <3]

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Is is like banging a hooker with out a rubber. Sure they aren't 100% necessary and it feels better without but it isn't worth the risk. As other have said though, sounds like something is screwy with you DRS.
    too funny......I love this post
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Petty and weak
    Some of you guys have surely seen my silly videos I post up. In recent ones I'm not running any guide with my FD and two rings. As you can see in those vids the chain ain't coming off, not even through rock gardens or down 6ft drops.

I really think it depends on your setup and bikes chain growth. On my Ventana I had nightmares with the chain coming off regardless of what I tried because of the diminishing chain tension through the travel. On my Scythe I have no issues whatsoever. If I did for one second, I'd have it single ring and a guide. I ain't tolerating the chain coming off, trust me. I have a chain guide sitting right here waiting for that moment, but it surprisingly hasn't come after 1.5 years!
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    SLX cranks and rear derailleur, 2 rings, no guide. I won't say that my chain came off all the time, but it sure did everytime i needed it. Like someone said up top, if you take it off even the one time the chain pops off you'll hate yourself for giving up on it

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    Some of you guys have surely seen my silly videos I post up. In recent ones I'm not running any guide with my FD and two rings. As you can see in those vids the chain ain't coming off, not even through rock gardens or down 6ft drops.

I really think it depends on your setup and bikes chain growth. On my Ventana I had nightmares with the chain coming off regardless of what I tried because of the diminishing chain tension through the travel. On my Scythe I have no issues whatsoever. If I did for one second, I'd have it single ring and a guide. I ain't tolerating the chain coming off, trust me. I have a chain guide sitting right here waiting for that moment, but it surprisingly hasn't come after 1.5 years!

Doing the same on my Bottle Rocket. Two rings and it never comes off...

EDIT: Oops...not my account. Whatever

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    allow me a slight derail please. any plans to reintroduce the heim? thats a sweet peice with a roller upgrade. never cared for the tapered stock unit they speced.
    I thought you were paying better attention last time we discussed this

https://www.e13components.com/product_ds.html

Members who have read this thread: 0