Do dual crown forks matter that much?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do dual crown forks matter that much?

So I am building a Giant Glory from the Frame up and I've put my Bomber Z1 sport on them but I've been told to put dual crown forks on. Does it really matter that much? I see my model Glory with both types of fork on them.

I'm not hardcore into DH as this is my first DH bike, I'll never race DH.

Here's a pic of my bike just for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do dual crown forks matter that much?-glory-frame.jpg  

Do dual crown forks matter that much?-glory-frame-2.jpg  

Ding! Ding! Coming through!
    Bombers on my daily? Why not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Where it's really going to matter is that fork probably has a much shorter axle to crown measurement. This will throw the geometry of the bike off, the head angle will be way steeper than stock.

I'd guess the Glory came with a 200mm fork, you'll should probably stick close to that.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by frints View Post
    Where it's really going to matter is that fork probably has a much shorter axle to crown measurement. This will throw the geometry of the bike off, the head angle will be way steeper than stock.

I'd guess the Glory came with a 200mm fork, you'll should probably stick close to that.
    the truth,,,,,,,
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Where it's really going to matter is that fork probably has a much shorter axle to crown measurement.
    I could throw my 24" rear wheel on there to keep the head angle slack.
    Ding! Ding! Coming through!
    Bombers on my daily? Why not.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Long travel single crown forks are really struggling with creaking steer tubes. So much force is being put through what is ultimately a really small crown. A double crown fork makes so much sense for long travel applications.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Long travel single crown forks are really struggling with creaking steer tubes. So much force is being put through what is ultimately a really small crown. A double crown fork makes so much sense for long travel applications.
    and it just feels better imop
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

May The Force Be With You
    . with modern technology I don't think one is better than the other. I think air vs spring is more of a personal preference in conjunction with weight, ease of adjustability and maintenance. dual crown vs single crown.. add cost, available travel and rigidity to the list .
    Last edited by shwinn8; 1 Week Ago at 05:59 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004

Also consider that DC forks have a shorter axle-to-crown than single crown at the same travel. For example, a fox 40 at 190mm is 6mm LOWER than a fox 38 at 180 (29 2021 models). You also have a few mm to play with to lower the DC a bit more if your frame/tires/head tube allow it.

A 180 SC and 200mm DC fork can be almost identical height-wise. That being said Id go DC any day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    DC fork all the way. Get a cheap Boxxer or cheap Marzocchi 888. You'll get more travel than a single crown fork. Plus a DC fork will be stiffer compared to single crown forks.

While you say you aren't "racing" and you aren't "hardcore" into downhill, the right fork will make it a hell of a lot more fun!
    Kona Operator CR and Santa Cruz Megatower

Underskilled
    People are missing the most important difference. Dual crown forks look cool!