Do chain guides help chain jump- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Do chain guides help chain jump

Have a Kona Stinky and the chain is jumping between chain rings when landing off of drop-offs. Will a chain guide like the E-13 help? Would like to still keep 2 chain rings. Also what causes discs to get out of tru?

Jan 2004
    a dual ring chainguide will only help on the back pedal, they wont keep the top of the chain from dropping. Its possible your front derailler needs some adjusting, but really its not possible to completly bulletproof a 2 ring setup, at least until someone creates an upper-guide system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's funny, since I installed my Dewlie chainguide I haven't dropped a chain in 2 seasons of riding. Before that it used to drop to the granny when landing drops or ripping through rough sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's backazzward

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    a dual ring chainguide will only help on the back pedal, they wont keep the top of the chain from dropping. Its possible your front derailler needs some adjusting, but really its not possible to completly bulletproof a 2 ring setup, at least until someone creates an upper-guide system.
    Actually the only time a dual ring fails is while backpedaling. I ran the Dewlie for all last season, including over 100 runs at Whistler, and never ever had the chain skip or shift while coasting or pedaling forward, but it did shift to the small gear several times when I pushed the bike backward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had that when I first installed it too. I swapped the roller around so the step is on the inside, haven't dropped a chain since. The step doesn't allow the chain to drop. I think there's another manufacturer that actually uses a step roller for their dual ring chainguides. That's where I got the idea from. Try it out, see if it works for you too.