DIY Hammerschmidt on 2010 Jedi, the easy way- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

DIY Hammerschmidt on 2010 Jedi, the easy way

Let me preface by saying I'm not a bike mechanic, the first bike I completely assembled from scratch was the Jedi, so as a disclaimer... feel free to follow this guide but if you damage anything by following the guide I won't take any responsibility, you will have to cut parts that will void warranties I'm sure . Also, everything measured out correctly when I did the install, you will need the BB and iscg mating surface to be flush. Mine happened to be after installing the guide. I can't make any promises the same will be true for YOUR bike and YOUR guide.

I use my Jedi for everything, and I have to earn my DH by climbing first (most of the year, we do have a resort ~4 hours away). I also use the Jedi as my AM/Trail/FR rig and unless I find a Canfield One for relatively cheap in the next few years I have absolutely NO desire to be on any other bike. I love the Jedi, if I could change anything it would be the total weight but... I love the 888's (butter!) and can't justify the cost of cutting weight anywhere else either.

I wasn't going to go with the HS but I managed to pick one up for pretty cheap on fleabay, so why not try it.

First, lets start with a bike, I think this one will do:

Now lets get rid of the old cranks and guide, much lighter!

About 1180g lighter in fact:

Don't be worried, we'll put that 1180g and then some back:

New guide:

It was too heavy, so I cut it down . Seriously though, this is the only tricky part of doing the hammerschmidt on a jedi, I'm somewhat surprised others haven't done it. The shifting actuator on the back of the HS requires room between the two lower iscg tabs. In a perfect world, if I had access to a CNC or mill I'd do something nice and pretty, but for $25 this will do. Since the guide is designed for larger rings, the slot was also lengthened inwards for the wheel. I think it would probably be wise to bring the wheel even further inwards and upwards, but I will try this first and see how it goes .

The rest of the "guide" is pretty self explanatory, and nothing different from a normal HS install.

Here I've thrown in the BB, put the guide on and the backing plate:

Threw the arms on:

Pedals are a nice addition (cut 60g over my old set to offset the 800g rotational mass gain I have going on with the HS )

Chains help make the world go round (even if they are a bit rusty):

After giving it the "down the street and back" test, clipped zip ties and whatnot, we have a finished product:

Ride report to come after I get over my nasty cold .

Blue Pig
    So... You're going to be giving me that bike? Excellent...
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome. I love that 2010 Jedi too, wish I never got rid of mine. The hammerschmidt worked pretty good on the jedi. Chris raced his a bunch in '09. It was always funny to watch him in his granny gear spinning around in circles at the top before a race run. Keep us updated. I dont remember him ever using an additional guide....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Very Nice I am in the opposite boat as you as i have a 2011 "THE ONE" and was thinking about putting my name on the list for the 2012 jedi but am more than happy with my ONE so thinking i don't need the jedi unless i found one for a good price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rode the bike for the first time since the change-over, but for a variety of reasons I didn't ride very hard or far today (still sick, got a nasty muscle cramp of some sort in the left leg, not much sunlight by the time I got out, just a test ride). As far as the hammerschmidt working with the jedi's idler pulley and the blackspire guide, everything appears to be perfect, I have no complaints. I don't notice any poor side effects on the suspension or anything else yet. I didn't do any drops and I didn't hit anything technical aside from a small rooty/rocky section of single track. I won't be convinced that this set up passes muster until I throw it through some drops and more aggressive rock gardens.

How do I feel about the hammerschmidt itself? Given I only rode on it about 8 miles it's hard to reach a conclusion.
    Things I like:
    -24t front with a 34t rear is nice for climbing. On a climb that I had a personal best on prior to the HS took me about 18.5 min. With the HS I was able to do it in a hair under 18, despite being sick and having the leg cramp up on me.
    -Higher effective gearing in it's "high" mode gives more top end than the 32t front and 11t rear set up that I had before. 32t with 11t rear was a hair short sometimes.
    -Instant gear switching. The gearing jump is pretty massive at 1.6x and I'm still getting the hang of when/where to use it, but it certainly has a place (ie: after cresting a hill and having a moment of flat before the next hill, having the ability to switch back and forth very quickly was nice).
    -More clearance at the chainring. Nothing more needs to be said here.

Things that I don't care for:
    -When in the high gear, "feels like pedaling through sand." Doesn't bug me that much yet, especially given the trade for this is now I have gearing beyond where I did in the past. It's a fair trade.
    -HS is loud, like a fishing reel.. when back pedaling. Doesn't bug me at all yet. The jedi is nearly silent aside from tire noise, shock noise on big hits, etc.
    -Adds tons of weight

I'll post again when I've put more miles on it and miles that count. I could have done MOST of today's ride on a fully rigid without much complaint.

Committed
    The guide is unneeded weight and drag. I have a couple of years with a HS on my Turner Highline and have never lost a chain.
    Overdrive does have some drag, most the time it isn't very noticeable. The only time I really feel it is in a sprint to clear a gap or jump with a flat or uphill run in.
    I don't like the slow engagement of the HS drive mech, makes it feel like you have a slow engaging rear hub regardless of what rear hub you run.
    Overall the HS is a fun bit to add to the right bike, imo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think the lower guide is a good idea on the Jedi with a hammer-snitzel as it gives more chain overlap. That top pulley means less chain contact with the teeth of a 24 tooth sprocket so adding the lower guide helps make up for that.

I have a hammer-time-immizle-fo-fizzle on my SX trail. You definitely feel the overdrive drag but learn to keep it in the direct drive gearing as much as possible, still an annoyance though. Noise and drive engagement are mere nuisances really on a DH rig. I don't like cleaning and lubing my chain since I got it with its freehub design inside the front drive system.
    Last edited by aenema; 11-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Aenema is correct, without the guide I would only have a few teeth on chain at any given time because of the idler pulley arrangement on the Jedi. I also noticed the slow engagement on the street but it hasn't been a problem on the trail yet. With the outlaw wheelset, I don't have the quickest engaging hub anyway (24 POE iirc).

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    The guide is unneeded weight and drag. I have a couple of years with a HS on my Turner Highline and have never lost a chain.
    Without the guide you'll also have a lot of chain growth on a Jedi. The top pulley helps with that, but it's not enough by itself. The Jedi's rear axle moves backward two and a half inches at full squish, and the lower pulley helps keep chain growth reasonable.

EDIT: The 2011 Jedi has 2.7 inches of chainstay growth. I'm not sure about the 2010, maybe not quite as much but I suspect it's at least two inches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I did somthing similiar with my jedi as well but it was set up as a 2 speed with yess tensioner in the back. I did have issues when the suspension was at full squat with the chain jumping teeth at the hammerschmidt. I had to fabricate a dual roller chainguide with one between the idler pulley and the hammerschmidt. Chris also had one on his in the same location

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is a picture of the roller guide. I milled it out of a 1/8" x 6" piece of 6061 aluminum bar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Hammerschmidt on 2010 Jedi, the easy way-photo.jpg  

Glad to Be Alive
    congrats to you.....most important thing is you like it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I noticed the extra roller between the idler and HS in Chris's set up as well. I wasn't sure that it would be needed and wanted to try something simple and cheap first. Were you getting the chain jumping teeth on a 24t HS gear? I would think the chain jump on rebound, not compression (as I try to visualize it in my mind). As I stated, I haven't put the bike through anything that would even close to bottom out the suspension yet, I have yet to experience this problem at all. If I do experience it, I may have to fab something as you did. Unfortunately I don't currently have mill access these days, so out with the file, saw and dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    congrats to you.....most important thing is you like it
    So far I like it. I wouldn't call it ideal, but if this is what it takes to get me where I want to go without walking, fine by me .