Disc brakes = axel moves in drops outs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Disc brakes = axel moves in drops outs

Here is my problem...when I hit the front brakes my the right side of the axel moves down in the dropouts causing my wheel to be off center. Ive tried my friends wheel on my bike it still moves. Ive tried just putting the skewers on really flippin tight but it still will move after a few hard stops. Is there anyway to stop this from happening? Has anyone else had this problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well this has never happened to me but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here. Try flipping the skewer so the lever is on the other side and experiment with that a bit. To me it seems like having the lever pulling from the other side may make a difference. Hope that helps.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    What kind of fork is it? How old is it? Are the dropouts worn? Is your brake adjusted properly? Help us out....

I post too much.
    Try a bolt on axle.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    check both the dropouts and the skewers...they could be worn out...

Midwest Rider
    that's sounds like what happened to me when I put disc brakes on. the lever would still be closed but the tension would work loose and the wheel wobbles. I just checked before every ride because it doesn't do it too often but I will try to switch it the lever to the rotor side. Then again now that you mention the fork, my cheap one flexes a lot and it or the headset or the hub is making a clunking noise.
    Gary Fisher Tassajara Santa Cruz Heckler Hoffman Disrupter IL1 Suzuki DR-Z400SM | | [PICS]

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    how big is the rotor? Some larger size rotors aren't recommended to use with QR axles for this exact reason, you're risking pulling the wheel out of the dropouts altogether.

Best thing to do, is to convert to a 20mm fork/hub

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Is your hub loose?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a Rock Shox Psylo that is about 4 years old, along with Shimano BR-M755 XT brakes. I tried putting the skewer on the other way and that seemed to help a little. Going thru axel would be the way to go, but that seems like an exspensive solution to my problem. The dropouts and hubs are not worn much at all. Where can i get a bolt on axel?

Hey CsHoSi, How do you like the 400sm? I just ordered a set of 17s for my DRZ.

Meh.
    Take it to a shop. You probably have a bit of play in your hubs.

Midwest Rider
    I ordered a set of cone wrenches and am going to follow zinn book.

Hi Hobo_hut! I remember you now from TT, painted your bike gray. I love riding mine around town and messing around here and there. The 17s feel quite different, you'll love them! Track would be nice, but there's no options here yet and it would be expensive. So instead I enjoy riding off-road with the E wheels.
    Gary Fisher Tassajara Santa Cruz Heckler Hoffman Disrupter IL1 Suzuki DR-Z400SM | | [PICS]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I dont think its play in the hubs. When the bike is on its wheels and release the QR i can see the one side go back up, and like i said, same thing happens when I use other wheels.

Glad to Be Alive
    switch to 6 inch rotors.......or go to LBS and ask them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo_hut
    I have a Rock Shox Psylo that is about 4 years old, along with Shimano BR-M755 XT brakes. I tried putting the skewer on the other way and that seemed to help a little. Going thru axel would be the way to go, but that seems like an exspensive solution to my problem. The dropouts and hubs are not worn much at all. Where can i get a bolt on axel?

Hey CsHoSi, How do you like the 400sm? I just ordered a set of 17s for my DRZ.
    I also have one. Funnest bike I've ever owned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Members who have read this thread: 0