Dirtbag DHX?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dirtbag DHX?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dirtbag DHX?

Thinking about a Transition Dirtbag but leery of the Romic that's spec'd with the frame. Would like to put a DHX on with an '05 Zoke Z1 (150mm). It appears the shock fits but just barely (have to take bottom out cap off). Anybody riding this setup? How's it feel? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am suprised nobody has answered you yet....There are a number of transition folks on this board...For what it's worth I have a very similar designed frame, Banshee Chap, and it came with a romic.... I was at first a little leary cuz reading the reviews it was love it or hate it and they did have a batch of shocks that went out that were messed up. From what I understand they were great about honouring the wrrnty and getting everything fixed.... My romic "feels" better then my buddies Fox vanilla R, I couldnt tell you how it compares to the dhx.... I havnt had one problem in the season I've put on mine, I am on the heavier side myself (185) and have been pounding the shock in the season I've used it, plenty of drops and jumps many to flat landings some DH thrown in.... The shock offers a good pedaling platform so it doesnt bob, however it still has that active "feel" that I like... I've been nothing but pleased... Some of the peeps that have had issues appear mostly to arise due to user error, meaning someone who doesnt know how to set it...most likely running to soft a spring, and then jacking up the compression to keep if from bottoming out.... The DHX from all accounts is supposed to be great too..... I dont think you could go wrong either way.... Good luck and post some pics of that badboy when it gets build up

Just roll it......

Why not ask Transition?

Forester,

The dudes at Transition (Kevin or Kyle) are always available for questions. Give them a shout.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Romic. If you have issues, send it in, get it rebuilt and sell it on ebay then. Their CS is tremendous so you wouldn't have to worry about much time off the bike. Also, I've had buddies without any issues with their Romics - but I've also had buddies that have had them rebuilt multiple times too. It's hit or miss, it seems, with those shocks.

The DHX's seemare all the rage these days, but I think the Romic would work fine on that bike initially.

EB

Team Sanchez
    I ran romics on 2 different bikes, for a year a piece, and never had an issue. I always ordered the Romic as an aftermarket upgrade, and had them valve it and spring it to my weight and riding style. I think that this is key to having a long lasting shock. If you order a bike with a Romic OEM, the valving may not be setup properly for you. I think this contributes to the failure rate.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by forester
    Thinking about a Transition Dirtbag but leery of the Romic that's spec'd with the frame. Would like to put a DHX on with an '05 Zoke Z1 (150mm). It appears the shock fits but just barely (have to take bottom out cap off). Anybody riding this setup? How's it feel? Thanks!
    I just put a DHX 5.0 on my dirt bag. Had to remove the bottom out Adj knob so that it would clear the down tube. I have the large frame and it is a fairly tight fit with out the big blue knob on the bottom of the res. So far its alright, altho with the danger boy plates, I need a 800lb spring to avoid bottom out in the 7" setting, but I mostly run the 6" setting and it works well with the 700lb spring. I am not super stoked on the comp valving on my DHX. I dont know if its the leverage ratio or what, but it just doesn't seem to slow the shock down under high speed hits in the 7" setting. no real bother tho. The pro-pedal works super good and I am very impressed with this. One thing that is nice is that the DHX with a 700lb spring feels just about the same as my romic did with a 800lb spring. But i am also running the DHX at full pressure and the bottom out screwed all the way in. Have yet to get it dirty due to the rainy season being upon us, but hopefully i will get to go out and thrash it a bit. Get in a couple stair gaps and drops and such.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

surf-ride-repeat
    My romic has worked fine since the day I got it.. I did go to a stiffer spring...

I love mine...

Run it on my Banshee Chap...

Easily adjustable and reliable... goes well with the 03 Super T on the front....

Mines ready for a rebuild, it's been almost a year, and it's been whaled on a few sessions, so...

ya...

I'd go with the Romic, the trans guys spec the frame with it, and I would trust them for what shock they spec their frame with.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    I just put a DHX 5.0 on my dirt bag. Had to remove the bottom out Adj knob so that it would clear the down tube. I have the large frame and it is a fairly tight fit with out the big blue knob on the bottom of the res. So far its alright, altho with the danger boy plates, I need a 800lb spring to avoid bottom out in the 7" setting, but I mostly run the 6" setting and it works well with the 700lb spring. I am not super stoked on the comp valving on my DHX. I dont know if its the leverage ratio or what, but it just doesn't seem to slow the shock down under high speed hits in the 7" setting. no real bother tho. The pro-pedal works super good and I am very impressed with this. One thing that is nice is that the DHX with a 700lb spring feels just about the same as my romic did with a 800lb spring. But i am also running the DHX at full pressure and the bottom out screwed all the way in. Have yet to get it dirty due to the rainy season being upon us, but hopefully i will get to go out and thrash it a bit. Get in a couple stair gaps and drops and such.
    You need a stiffer spring if you have to run the bottom out all the way in and the pressure to the max PSI. This would proabably also solve your compression problem.

The real problem is the leverage ratio of that bike with the danger-boy plates. 3.5 to 1 means it's way over-leveraged, and you are putting a ton of stress on the shock. A higher sprung spring may not even exist, but it sounds like you'd need it if it did. It's the aftermarket components fault (dangerboy) that it is that way. That looks like a 2.0 stroke shock. Bad idea on a 7" frame as Rocky Mountain found out.

Besides the obvious ride qualities, my DHXs are holding up way better than my romic could ever have hoped for. The fact that both of my DHXs have not exploded into 3 parts like my romic did is a big bonus. There's a lot of romics out there that were complete trash in terms of build and tolerances. Some worked ok for some people, but I went through 3 of them and finally gave up after being lied to and decieved by romic. Their product worked fairly well when it worked, but that was less than half of the time, and my old backup stratos helix expert was actually on my bike more than the stock romic was, and it never blew...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    You need a stiffer spring if you have to run the bottom out all the way in and the pressure to the max PSI. This would proabably also solve your compression problem.

The real problem is the leverage ratio of that bike with the danger-boy plates. 3.5 to 1 means it's way over-leveraged, and you are putting a ton of stress on the shock. A higher sprung spring may not even exist, but it sounds like you'd need it if it did. It's the aftermarket components fault (dangerboy) that it is that way. That looks like a 2.0 stroke shock. Bad idea on a 7" frame as Rocky Mountain found out.

Besides the obvious ride qualities, my DHXs are holding up way better than my romic could ever have hoped for. The fact that both of my DHXs have not exploded into 3 parts like my romic did is a big bonus. There's a lot of romics out there that were complete trash in terms of build and tolerances. Some worked ok for some people, but I went through 3 of them and finally gave up after being lied to and decieved by romic. Their product worked fairly well when it worked, but that was less than half of the time, and my old backup stratos helix expert was actually on my bike more than the stock romic was, and it never blew...
    Its a 7.875 x 2.25 so in the 7" setting its a 3.1:1 ratio and in 6" that would put it at 2.66:1 leverage ratio. Not horrible but not super great. The original bike design was around the 5-6" travel, which is just about right for a 2.25" stroke shock IMO. the 7" setting is pushing it for that shock. I called fox and they do offer a 800lb spring for it, and i will probably get one on the way next week. But in the 6" setting it feels pretty good with the 700lb spring.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member

New question here. DHX - removal of bottom out knob - Explain

please tell me how you removed the blue knob. My DHX just barely hits my Gemini frame, but Fox said the knob could not be removed because of the air pressure (???)

It looks as if 2 little allen screws are holding it on.

Did you just set it to the position that you want, and then pop it off?

Please advise in detail.
    Here is a photo of my Gemini.

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    please tell me how you removed the blue knob. My DHX just barely hits my Gemini frame, but Fox said the knob could not be removed because of the air pressure (???)

It looks as if 2 little allen screws are holding it on.

Did you just set it to the position that you want, and then pop it off?

Please advise in detail.
    Here is a photo of my Gemini.

Thanks again...
    its super easy, all you do is take a small allen wrench, not sure what size, but if you have one of those metric folding allen sets with like a 0.5mm to 6mm, you should be covered. All you do is set the adjustment where you want it and unscrew the 2 small allen screws, but not all the way, just until the head is flush with the out side of the knob. they are opposite eachother on the knob. then just pull it off. not rocket science.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah