Dirt Jumping Tips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Dirt Jumping Tips

alright i wasnt reele sure where i should post this but, most free riders dirt jump too.

well i am mainly an all mountain/XC rider....but there was this one awsome dirt jump which i randomly found on the side of the trail.....it was amazing, and it has liek inspired me ha...

so now i would like to get into dirt jumping and i would like any, ANY tips any one has...

i ride clipless SPD's now, but im gona get some platform so i can do some real dirt jumping.....so any tips on me on platform besides basic dirt jumping would be great

pretend i have no brain and you'll are teaching me from the start

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    what kind of jump is it? and how big
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Get Brian Lopes book "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills". It has step by step instructions on jumping and doing drops.

Do it with style
    start small and work your way up to big stuff...........

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL E
    start small and work your way up to big stuff...........
    Yep,
    I had a history of BMX as a small kid- but the jumps in those days were alot smaller. Then I went all XC and Road race from about 19 til I was almost 31. Start small. Be methodical. Go multiple times per week. Go to a BMX track. Ride jumps with guys that are better than youand watch them. Dig your own jumps.

The last part of digging your own jumps is the most important peice of the puzzle. My skills made huge leaps and bounds when I started digging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yai have done about 5 foot drops, but only reele on true jump.

now do you keep your feet pointed down and push a bit back to keep the bike with you?

you land on back wheel or both?

anything you shoudl do when your in the air if your not doing a trick?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBdave

now do you keep your feet pointed down and push a bit back to keep the bike with you?

you DONT want to land on both wheels if you are landing on a small landing ramp. the landing ramp needs to be big enough so that you can fit both wheels on there pretty easily. other than that i guess that you will just need to find out for yourself. i dont think that you can really teach everything about dirt jumping, because it is all about feel and fluidity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stuff has all been said before...but:

start small, and practice a lot - move up only when you have really gotten comfortable with what you are working on - when you start, wear plenty of protective gear and probably a full-face - there's plenty of time to emulate the "stars" and go with a dirt jump lid (or not recommended - a Dickies baseball cap ;-) later....

general stuff - stay loose on the bike, the more stiff you are the more likely you will dead sailor and crash, and you will be less able to deal with small corrections

as you approach the take-off of the jump stay centered on the bike - as your front wheel approaches the take-off you should pre-load the shock (pressing your weight forward and compressing your body) - as you hit the lip you should come out of your compression allowing the bike to come up and have your body come into a more extended shape - having your feet come up allows the back end to rise up into a natural arc over the jump - focus on the landing, always try to land both wheels at the same angle (you will probably have the front wheel come in contact first - this becomes important on sections w/more than one jump as you will probably need to land high to keep your speed up for the next jump) - stay relaxed and focus quickly on the next jump (assuming more than one in a row) and repeat process...

have fun, ride with people better than you so you can watch, get critiqued and learn...

surf-ride-repeat
    I ride and dig with Evil E...

since I've started doing that, and letting "the little kid" ride... it's been killer. The 'little kid' is the dude inside ya that likes bikes and the feeling of weightlessness and speed, I had to learn to stay out of the control room and let that dude drive when dirt jumping, I over think it and mess it up, the 'kid' straight owns it cuz it's FUN.

Dig and ride with dudes who are better than you and that you respect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirt

since I've started doing that, and letting "the little kid" ride... it's been killer. The 'little kid' is the dude inside ya that likes bikes and the feeling of weightlessness and speed, I had to learn to stay out of the control room and let that dude drive when dirt jumping, I over think it and mess it up, the 'kid' straight owns it cuz it's FUN.

pdirt nailed it right there. perfect advice.
    Divide Bike Bags

Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    pdirt nailed it right there. perfect advice.
    Yeah- but Pdizzle read my post before writing his...I just didn't embelish on the little guys thing until I read what he wrote. It all starts with digging your own jumps

Hey Phil- did you take Sliver over to your jumps yet?

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Oregon
    Yeah- but Pdizzle read my post before writing his...I just didn't embelish on the little guys thing until I read what he wrote. It all starts with digging your own jumps

Hey Phil- did you take Sliver over to your jumps yet?

Not yet, and I brought the camera today when I went out there, I kinda 'got into it' with some paint baller kooks, than I dug in a ferocious venoumous frenzy for 3 hours, forgot all about pics... but the landing on Evil E#2 line was straight SERVED by my l33t digging skillzzz.

Do it with style

diggin dizzle

Not yet, and I brought the camera today when I went out there, I kinda 'got into it' with some paint baller kooks, than I dug in a ferocious venoumous frenzy for 3 hours, forgot all about pics... but the landing on Evil E#2 line was straight SERVED by my l33t digging skillzzz.
    instead of PDIRT we should call you ditch witch biaatch

surf-ride-repeat
    instead of PDIRT we should call you ditch witch biaatch

Hahaa.. totally...

hey you have to take Shiver out drinking manana...Mcmenamins k?

Do it with style

rubinators all around

Hahaa.. totally...

hey you have to take Shiver out drinking manana...Mcmenamins k?
    so be it . F'n paintballers sorry i didn't make it today i was spent from work. try to make it tommorow for some repair............

Pro Crastinator
    .....digging your own jumps is the most important peice of the puzzle. My skills made huge leaps and bounds when I started digging.
    most people overlook this, but it really is essential if you really want to learn to throw down.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    most people overlook this, but it really is essential if you really want to learn to throw down.....
    word. if you can visualize, then build, a huge hit i firmly believe you can hit it (your brain will not visualize something that is way beyond your skill set).
    Divide Bike Bags

Don't skid
    Ya I got to agree with everyone on biulding your own jumps. to build a jump means you are thinking (subconciously) about how to take the jump. So when you hit the thing your mind has already done it. And as you get better at jumping, you will get better at building. Its pretty cool like that, kind of zen ( until you eat sh!t ).

Oh and as for landing, if you land on a trany you should try to be slightly nose first, but both tires at the same time is cool. Landing on a flat or slight downhill, I'd say back tire first, but not too much.

Start small, learn to crash, wear protection, drink your milk, and watch and ride with people better than you.

dirt rules
    Learn to bunnyhop. It is the foundation of all airs.

USB Rep'n

Yo Dirt, one of the coolest things I have ever read hear brutha! Thanks for throwin it out.

And to WCH....WERD!!!!!!!!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

I bet your shoulders and arms are getting all ripped and shizzle... That's good- cause when you 20/80 that landing and go straight to your shoulder the C-bone won't break as easy.

Shiver tried calling me late last night. He must have had too much of the shine' to actually leave me a message. Focker woke me up from my old man sleep.

surf-ride-repeat
    I bet your shoulders and arms are getting all ripped and shizzle... That's good- cause when you 20/80 that landing and go straight to your shoulder the C-bone won't break as easy.

Shiver tried calling me late last night. He must have had too much of the shine' to actually leave me a message. Focker woke me up from my old man sleep.

AHhh he's got cha on drunk dial, too huh?

20/80 is not so bad, it's the 50/50 that ya need good lats and abs to live through... digging helps there, you bet!

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    this has got to be one of the mos.t common threads
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Do it with style

I think my sub-consious iz tryin to kill ME

Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    word. if you can visualize, then build, a huge hit i firmly believe you can hit it (your brain will not visualize something that is way beyond your skill set).
    I think my sub consious iz tryin to kill me cuz the new evil e jumpz are frigin HUGE....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    now which would you recomend, and evil imperialist, specialized, p.2 or maybe p.3 or SC jackal

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    sorry my computer messed up and it didn't show my post so sorry if it comes up twice on your computer....

which would you recoment, evil imperalist, specialized p.3 maybe p.3 if i can...or SC jackal

thanks, dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry my computer messed up and it didn't show my post so sorry if it comes up twice on your computer....

which would you recoment, evil imperalist, specialized p.3 maybe p.3 if i can...or SC jackal

thanks, dave
    any of those would be fine - you don't need to spend a ton of $ if you are just getting into dirt jumping - the P-series bikes always seem tough and good value for your $
    the Evil IMPERIAL is a very heavy-duty bike and quite expensive for what you have in mind, I'd take a look at the Evil DOC before the Imperial
    The Jackal is also quite expensive for what you want to do - there are a lot of nice inexpensive dj frames to choose from - Evil, Specialized, Azonic, Black Market - look around and see what you like, or go to a local dirt jump spot and see if you can check out what people are on

really the only way to learn dirt jumping, is by dirt jumping - so get out there and do it - if you don't have jumps near you, find somewhere to build some....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ya, i only live on like 1 acre, and my parents would kill mee if i buolt jumps, but on a trail i love there is a part where off to the side, there is a pretty steep dirt ramp, i guess you coudl say, then it imidetly once your at the bottom goes straght back up a steep side and then theres a lip where you can get air, is this ok to practice on or would youll recomend still building somewhere or finding a better place.

mtbr member
    I think my sub consious iz tryin to kill me cuz the new evil e jumpz are frigin HUGE....
    i know your pain. but building sh*t shorter than kareem abdul-jabbar and with less length than a 73 cadillac is a waste of shovel time. of course my current builds are taking FOREVER to finish. i will work hard this weekend and post some in progress pix.
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks man. when your done show me/tell me, is it possible to like even get any speed to actually make the jump. and how they jsut overal work, pics would be awsome thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    if i was to do some urban, would the jackal still work, i heard it was mainly for DJ, compared to the EVil imperial