mtbr member

Dilema about freeride bikes

Hey everyone. Im in kind of a dilema.

I have narrowed my search down to 4 bikes,
    1.) The transition bottlerocket
    2.) the transition vagrant
    3.) The specialized sx trail 1
    4.) The 243. downhill frame, or 243. freeride frame

I will be doing all freeriding and some downhill racing, no dirt jumps or skateparks, and please dont complicate things and give me other suggestions, thses are the bikes i just cant decide which one to purchase. (Im looking at the 2007 models for each bike)
    So if any you guys could help me find the best possible bike.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would get the bottlerocket and if you want a review of the bottlerocket go to sicklines.com.

mtbr member
    I would get the bottlerocket. Awesome bike from an awesome company. However, it wouldn't be an ideal downhill racer.

No Fear!
    How long have you been riding?,if your just starting out,go with one of the hardtail's so you can learn to be super smooth,then when your ready get the bottlerocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeair

I will be doing all freeriding and some downhill racing, no dirt jumps or skateparks, and please dont complicate things and give me other suggestions, thses are the bikes i just cant decide which one to purchase. (Im looking at the 2007 models for each bike)
    Thanks.

3 "fiddy" for short
    It's a toss up for me between the BR and the SX. I guess it all depends on what you will do the most. If you will be freeriding the most, I would lean toward the Bottlerocket with its 1+ inch shorter wheelbase. If you are downhilling more maybe the longer wheelbase of the SX would suit your needs.

As far as starting on a hardtail and then moving to a FS, I disagree. I have always been a firm believer of practice on what you want to use. There was a thread about this exact idea a while ago and IRC the consensus was to use what you plan on using for sometime.

mtbr member
    yeah i would go with the bottle rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    i would go with the sx cuz of the extra inch in the back
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    It's a toss up for me between the BR and the SX. I guess it all depends on what you will do the most. If you will be freeriding the most, I would lean toward the Bottlerocket with its 1+ inch shorter wheelbase. If you are downhilling more maybe the longer wheelbase of the SX would suit your needs.

As far as starting on a hardtail and then moving to a FS, I disagree. I have always been a firm believer of practice on what you want to use. There was a thread about this exact idea a while ago and IRC the consensus was to use what you plan on using for sometime.
    Agreed.

I wish I had...
    I think that you should get the bottle rocket

Glad to Be Alive
    pass me the bottle, Mr jones
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Bikes Rule
    Get both the Vagrant and the Bottlerocket....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

3.) The specialized sx trail 14.) The 243. downhill frame, or 243. freeride frame
    uh..........thats five choices

Pro Crastinator
    BottleRocket beyatch....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    SX Trail, then BR. Both great bikes, but I would like the extra squish if you DH it too.

mmmm, caffeine!
    Bottlerocket..............

I'd take it

mtbr member
    I'd vote for a Versus Blitz II if it were on the list. But a Bottle Rocket is a fine looking steed. You'd never go wrong with an SXT either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    uh..........thats five choices
    you are indeed right
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

banned
    The BR seems to be getting a lot of attention. It'll be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.

If no DJ'ing, parks,slopestyle, 4x type riding is your style. Why are you even considering a BR? Sounds like your off base on your choices.

You've listed yourself as a DH FR type rider. Perhaps you should consider frames more in that category.

locked - time out
    bottle rocket

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    The BR seems to be getting a lot of attention. It'll be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.

If no DJ'ing, parks,slopestyle, 4x type riding is your style. Why are you even considering a BR? Sounds like your off base on your choices.

You've listed yourself as a DH FR type rider. Perhaps you should consider frames more in that category.
    I see your point, but in his defense he has looked at the SX Trail which would fit his intended use well.

If I were considering a Transition frame for FR and DH I would be looking straight at the Gran Mal. If I was going to do more FR I would go for the Dirtbag, or the GM which I'm extremely interested in.

But, people have been using the BR for a dedicated FR bike and have really liked the feel and ride characteristics. So, I guess to each his own especially when the choice works.

I guess the best solution would be to get a test ride on all of the candidates, but we all know how difficult that is. The next best thing is THIS, exactly what we are doing now.

mtbr member
    you're much better off with suspension

that said the bottlerocket is it. but if you don't mind paying an extra 800 bucks or so, the SX is a great frame too.

banned
    user gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

To get back to the original post......

"I will be doing all freeriding and some downhill racing, no dirt jumps or skateparks"

Is'nt the BR a 4x, slopestyle what ever bullsh*t name we can think of these days?

Just out of curiousity. Can everyone that has replied to this OP, that has seen in person, riden or actually own a BottleRocket please raise your hand.

Not trying to slam Transition in any way. I'm actually eyeing a Vagrant myself. I just feel the opinions on a BR for FR/DH are moot at best. Why not a DirtBag? Perhaps the OP should contact Transition directly.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    Just out of curiousity. Can everyone that has replied to this OP, that has seen in person, riden or actually own a BottleRocket please raise your hand.

Why not a DirtBag?

I think I just said that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    not to get off topic,but maybe it would be worth while the throw in the dirtbag as well since hes looking at transition.
    so this is how you add a signature!!

mtbr member
    In my area there are tons of local dealers with 06 sx trails on sale, but if i order i bike from transition than it will cost more money and more waiting. And in my choices i chose the bottle rocket over the dirtbag or anything like that because i want a light downhill bike, for less demanding courses, not a full on 8 inch steed, LIGHT is key. I will be taking my future bike to bikeparks, downhill race courses, sloepstyle parks, and some local freeride spots. Thanks for the input so far. Ive narrowed it down to the sxt2, and the BR. What are some of the key differences between the sxtral2 and the bottle rocket?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    not to get off topic,but maybe it would be worth while the throw in the dirtbag as well since hes looking at transition.
    Have you always been a troublemaker? If so, I like your style!!

3 "fiddy" for short
    In my area there are tons of local dealers with 06 sx trails on sale, but if i order i bike from transition than it will cost more money and more waiting. And in my choices i chose the bottle rocket over the dirtbag or anything like that because i want a light downhill bike, for less demanding courses, not a full on 8 inch steed, LIGHT is key. I will be taking my future bike to bikeparks, downhill race courses, sloepstyle parks, and some local freeride spots. Thanks for the input so far. Ive narrowed it down to the sxt2, and the BR. What are some of the key differences between the sxtral2 and the bottle rocket?
    I think the HT angle is within .5*, so they are quite similar. I think the major difference would be the wheelbase where the SX is about 1" longer than the BR allowing for more highspeed stability for those DH days. On the other hand, the shorter wheelbase on the BR would be beneficial for those days spent on the slopestyle park. Either one would work for the FR days, but I still think the DB or GM would work a little better for FR or DH respectively.

3 "fiddy" for short
    As far as weights go the BR is 8.2 lbs (w/o shock), DB is 8.2 lbs (w/o shock), and the GM is 8.75 lbs. (w/o shock). So this puts all three with in about 1/2 lb of each other.

Just a little more info for you to aid in your decision.

mtbr member
    alright well i think ive made my decision........... well...um..i...uh...well..... ok here it is, after alot of thinking im gonna have to go with the um...ah... 2006 sx trail
    Thanks everyone for your input i greatly appreciate it, now when the stores open up ill go buy me self a beek.er i mean bike!

3 "fiddy" for short
    alright well i think ive made my decision........... well...um..i...uh...well..... ok here it is, after alot of thinking im gonna have to go with the um...ah... 2006 sx trail
    Thanks everyone for your input i greatly appreciate it, now when the stores open up ill go buy me self a beek.er i mean bike!
    We have a WINNER!!!! FINALLY

Members who have read this thread: 0