Diggin My Coiler But.......- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

Diggin My Coiler But.......

need some help fellas
    i bought my coiler for more AM use with a bit of jumping/light freeride thrown in for good measure. trouble is i have really gotten hooked on the jumping and freeride stuff. the frame was supplied with a DHX 3 coil, 550lb spring. i upgraded to 650lb to match my weight and the amount of sag required. the spring is perfect for sag with 2-3 turns. i run 170-200psi in the boost.
    so how do i know if i am bottoming out or using all the travel. i aint doin anyting big and i way 185lbs. i have lifted the rubber stop to see what travel i am using and it is all the way back down after my biggest hit. just dont want to damage the shock.
    i have already asked about pushing it or using the money to invest in the highly recomended roco tst. unanimous vote was to PUSH. i know push can set the shock to my style etc and can make the shock more progressive but will it also help with bootom out.

shot

Glad to Be Alive
    you will feel a clunk when you bottom out....chances are you are using most of your suspension but not bottoming...I would get a 700 pound spring (up it another 50 pounds)...your shock doesn't sound blown so you would not have to send it away
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I walk up hills
    Yea you will know when you bottom you will feel it. Not sure what year coiler you have (or if they are the same as my old stinky) but my stinky had 2 lower shock mounts, for linear or progressive rate on the shock.

The DHX 3 on my rig feels like crap with anything over like 140psi in it so I'd either change to the progressive mounting or go up another 50lbs on the coil as suggested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
    Yea you will know when you bottom you will feel it. Not sure what year coiler you have (or if they are the same as my old stinky) but my stinky had 2 lower shock mounts, for linear or progressive rate on the shock.

The DHX 3 on my rig feels like crap with anything over like 140psi in it so I'd either change to the progressive mounting or go up another 50lbs on the coil as suggested.
    Only problem is a 4-bar tends to feel a bit harsh or "springy" on big hits with too high a spring rate. 700 lb spring sounds kinda high on a 2.5:1 ratio for a 185 lb rider...just my opinion tho.

Doesn't Kona spec those bikes with the shock in the progressive mount?
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Trying a little
    if you had a Stinky you would know when it bottoms out when the rocker smacks the seat tube clamp.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Roll on Spring Time!
    thanks for da feedback
    i aint knocking my bike cause i got it for its strength. i have sorted out my forks so if i can get my rear set up i'll be stoked.
    i havent tried it in the other setting other than wait it came in so thats an option. i think my spring is good cause any higher spring rate will result in minimal sag. i would like to try a lower psi in the boost chamber. how does the psi value change the overall performance? i know it helps with bottom out. i hear some say higher values affect performance, how?

I walk up hills
    So yea I'm guessing you have the 6" Coiler so it's more like a 3to1 ratio.

Anyhow the piggyback pressure effect bottom out yes but it also effects the compression, so basicaly more pressure = less small bump sensitivity.

Roll on Spring Time!
    sweet
    i thought the coil was for compression and the air in the boost chamber was only for bottom out. i will play around with the air pressure and see how it feels.
    tanks for da help

mtbr member
    how hard would you have to hit to break the shock? i mean wouldn't you have to like break both ankles and wrists to damage the shock? i run my dhx3 at about 100psi if i do anything with drops. it wont hurt it will it, it will just make it bottom out easier right?oh and i weigh about 155 w/ gear.
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

Members who have read this thread: 0