diablo vs plattekill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

diablo vs plattekill

never been to either and in the spring id like to make a weekend trip.diablo is closer but form some of the description,plattekill seems really cool.from what ive read,its more flowy singletrack downhill?i know ill make a trip to diablo eventually,but id like to know if plattekill is worth the drive?...sorry guess my title may be a little off then...should be is "plattekilll worth the drive?"

oh i should mention,i have a group of guys i do freeride and dh with,but this trip would most likely include my all mountain trail riding group as well...which from what i read,plattekill would be suitable for them?
    so this is how you add a signature!!

New project, TBA shortly
    (putting on flame suit) hit both. Diablo has better "amenities", and the trails are better marked and cleared. they have a trail map with the various trails listed according to ability level. the easier trails are easier than the easy trails at Plattekill.

Plattekill on the whole is steeper, rougher and less well-marked. there's more trails, and you're more likely to end up getting in over your head if you're a beginner or beginner/intermediate. if you have new people to DH, I'd recommend Diablo for the trail markings/trail map. All mtn can probably handle it, otherwise Platty does have "XC" trails but they're a little hard to find.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    (putting on flame suit) hit both. Diablo has better "amenities", and the trails are better marked and cleared. they have a trail map with the various trails listed according to ability level. the easier trails are easier than the easy trails at Plattekill.

Plattekill on the whole is steeper, rougher and less well-marked. there's more trails, and you're more likely to end up getting in over your head if you're a beginner or beginner/intermediate. if you have new people to DH, I'd recommend Diablo for the trail markings/trail map. All mtn can probably handle it, otherwise Platty does have "XC" trails but they're a little hard to find.

I've been to plattekill, but not diablo and description above of Plattekill is spot on, I def. fell a bunch of times when the trail got over my head quicker than i could have reacted.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

New project, TBA shortly
    if you're an advanced rider Platty is awesome, as long as you can ride whatever comes up (ie, 6' drop unannounced right around a blind corner), it's great to just go out and go exploring. all the trails are great, they're all relatively steep downhill, and the terrain has a smoothness/flowey-ness that's hard to describe. just have to go with someone who knows the place pretty well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks for the quick replies,i think ill hit diablo first,the only real downhill ive done is reading...

banned
    Post this in the NJ or NY section and you will get tons of feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    if you're an advanced rider Platty is awesome, as long as you can ride whatever comes up (ie, 6' drop unannounced right around a blind corner),
    Exactly. I love Platty and think it is a lot more fun for straight up DH but it is easy to get in over year head. Diablo is more built up and has more stunts.

Check out Jiminy or Hunter if you are coming up with people who are more trail riders. Both are great mountains for that type of riding.

Tom

Bum Buzzer
    Sounds like the 1st response got it covered. That about says it.

if you're in NYC, you cant beat Diablo for convenience. We dont have easy access to a mess of outdoors and make due with what we have quite well - but I dont know anywhere else you can be lift served in less than an hour from a big city/poulation center.

I am hoping that with the resoirt boom at Mt. Creek, some more attention and funding find there way to Diablo. The height is not enormous, but is sprawling and has a couple of peaks, and alot of possibilities - IE could be 4x as large and much more varied (there is some sick steepness around Vernon peak)

mtbr member
    If you are looking for 2 1/2 times the vertical (2500 feet) & the best ride up a mountain Whiteface is an easy 4 1/2 hours north of N.Y.C.
    Your bike will hit much faster speeds here too (45 mph+).
    20 + minute dh runs.
    Plenty of x- trails too. Tons of camping, etc.
    Only 45 minutes off the interstate.

Downhill Mike
    www.whiteface.com
    Size does matter!

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    plattekill= rustic, ungroomed, slash and ride, be ready for the next turn, steep and shale everywhere, very technical

diablo= more organized and developed, better "jump" trail, better signage, more buffed trails

they are both serving different moods if you will, some days you just want to cruise and have little or not surprises but still be challenged, then go to diablo
    but if you want to push your riding, scare yourself a bit and improve faster, plattekill for sure
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Lez go.
    Hopefully the planned preseason build goes down like I'm hoping this year at Pkill. Seems like a lot of people are interested in lending a hand to step up the features and trails. Definitely worth the trip, regardless.

PS - downhill mike: I went to the whiteface site hoping to get an idea of what kind of riding there is, and the gallery only had 6 pictures in it. One thing about Diablo, you can pretty much go to their site and get a good idea of what kind of features they have. After looking at the Whiteface site, I have no clue, and I'd want to have some sense of what I'd be driving 6 hrs for. More pics / videos = important.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill mike
    If you are looking for 2 1/2 times the vertical (2500 feet) & the best ride up a mountain Whiteface is an easy 4 1/2 hours north of N.Y.C.
    20 + minute dh runs.

Downhill Mike
    www.whiteface.com
    Size does matter!
    U r relentless!

I will have to get up there ASAP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    20 + minute dh runs.

Downhill Mike
    www.whiteface.com
    Size does matter!
    that sounds crazy...too bad for me diablo is like a 3.5 hr drive,plattekill would be about 5.5hrs...so i think 4.5 north of NYC would be a little bit of a drive.

Is flexy
    All of these descriptions are pretty good but don't let them fool you. Diablo has plenty of challenging terrain it is just marked a lot better. My first and only time at platty was with Spaulding and I think he will agree that if we didn't make friends on the lift and ride with them we would have been effed. There are a lot of unmarked natural drops and it gets hairy quick. I'm not saying it isn't fun but I would suggest having someone show you around.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    U r relentless!

I feel I have no power when everyone is talking about those other 2 places.
    And I am not exagerating about how awesome is is up here.
    True big mountain riding east of the rockies, and open 7 days a week.

Downhill Mike
    www.whiteface.com
    Size does matter!
    Last edited by downhill mike; 02-08-2007 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega T
    Hopefully the planned preseason build goes down like I'm hoping this year at Pkill. Seems like a lot of people are interested in lending a hand to step up the features and trails. Definitely worth the trip, regardless.

PS - downhill mike: I went to the whiteface site hoping to get an idea of what kind of riding there is, and the gallery only had 6 pictures in it. One thing about Diablo, you can pretty much go to their site and get a good idea of what kind of features they have. After looking at the Whiteface site, I have no clue, and I'd want to have some sense of what I'd be driving 6 hrs for. More pics / videos = important.
    Here are some pics. Whiteface's web site will hopefully be updated soon.
    http://www.hcor.net/modules.php?set_...view_album.php

Downhill Mike
    Last edited by downhill mike; 02-07-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Three sheets to the wind
    Plattekill is good, I go there often, and Jiminy is OK, but Whiteface rules...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Diablo has plenty of challenging terrain it is just marked a lot better. My first and only time at platty was with Spaulding and I think he will agree that if we didn't make friends on the lift and ride with them we would have been effed. There are a lot of unmarked natural drops and it gets hairy quick. I'm not saying it isn't fun but I would suggest having someone show you around.
    agreed, creek has a little of its own hairy tech stuff but maybe its our own faults for taking our warmup runs on unfamiliar trails. platty is def. much more dangerous and in my opinion more fun drops even though the landings arent as buff because you can take the freeride trail and hit 10 drops in one run from 1ft-8ft. Creek has smaller drops and better jumps. even the dirt is completely different between these two mountains...if you have been freeriding and are comfortable with head high drops you can do just about everything at diablo safely.
    lol i've ridden platty twice in the rain with no rear break most of the day and it is probably the scariest crap i have ever done b/c if you ever rode platty in the rain you know the trails washout instantly .

mtbr member

Diablo is really rocky

I find it beats me up. THe rocks are like imbeded in the moutian. It also is way hotter in the middle summer months. But it is just an hour out of NYC and has some sweet groomed trails in certian areas. Platty is poorly maintianed and the ammenities are next to nonthing and it is to far from NYC. I will be getting my season pass at Platty this year.

New project, TBA shortly
    ha, I don't mention it when discussing diablo and platty since I hate to be the guy who suggests "C" when someone asks "A" or "B", but you are totally right, Whiteface is amazing. I'll probably be heading up there sometime before nationals to get some ride time in on long, demanding, fast runs.

Couple quick questions - is the race trail open from the top during the rest of the season? that wide-open beginning trail down the ski run was awesome!

also, you should set up a radar gun for the 5k race this year. would be fun to see how fast I hit on that section just past the mid-station on this years race course...

so yeah, white face is awesome, and well worth the drive!

Quote Originally Posted by downhill mike
    U r relentless!

I feel I have no power when everyone is talking about those other 2 places.
    And I am not exagerating about how awesome is is up here.
    True big mountain riding east of the rockies.

Downhill Mike
    www.whiteface.com
    Size does matter!

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by vardiel
    lol i've ridden platty twice in the rain with no rear break most of the day and it is probably the scariest crap i have ever done b/c if you ever rode platty in the rain you know the trails washout instantly .
    riding platty in the rain isn't too bad, however pinning it in a race run in the pouring rain, that's a different story...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is there any way to get Platty to open up on Memorial Day Monday so that the US Open crowd from out of town could get some ride time on a different Mountain?
    "yer all a bunch of god damned *************, damn it."

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    riding platty in the rain isn't too bad, however pinning it in a race run in the pouring rain, that's a different story...
    Platty in the rain is the Titz.

About 1/2 my days at platty historically it rained, and half of those it was POURING.

Diablo can be scary in the pouring rain - slippy rocks abound.

Challenging is good! Dangeous? Bah

Members who have read this thread: 0