DIABLO domination series- Mtbr.com
    Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm DIABLO domination series

another dialblo roll call. whose going to the may 18th race?!? im crazy excited. im trying to find a place to stay for cheap though. any suggestions? let me know. good uck to all racers
    -RPFW

mtbr member
    Is there any cheap camping in the area?? I have school in Motvale NJ thurs-fri 29-30 and my company is paying for the hotel wed-thurs. But I need to find somewhere cheap to stay Fri night, ( the hotel is like 250 a night).

I may go for the race, I'm not sure yet.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What's the deal with regular riding the weekend of a race? I'm not competing but I want to go ride trails. Is it cool to go on saturday or is the whole thing a wash because of the race?

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by crushallcakes
    What's the deal with regular riding the weekend of a race? I'm not competing but I want to go ride trails. Is it cool to go on saturday or is the whole thing a wash because of the race?
    You will be fine. You may run into a few closed trails but for the most part it is business as usual.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

Shred all that can be
    Yeah man I'll be there, I'm actually going tuesday to "scout" (helmet cam) the trails and to get a feel for an actuall downhill trail, All I've got in central jersey is belle mountain, which is fast as **** but its about a 15 second stretch.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Yeah man I'll be there, I'm actually going tuesday to "scout" (helmet cam) the trails and to get a feel for an actuall downhill trail, All I've got in central jersey is belle mountain, which is fast as **** but its about a 15 second stretch.
    someone can correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure diablo is closed weekdays until july

Shred all that can be

Shred all that can be
    Skyline, tuesday, anyone?

mtbr member
    Belle mountain? Outside Lambertville, NJ?

I learned to ski there. That'd be a pretty boring dh run.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

Shred all that can be
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Belle mountain? Outside Lambertville, NJ?

I learned to ski there. That'd be a pretty boring dh run.
    Well it is, but there is a small trail on the right side through the woods that is just as steep and a pretty small but wicked shicane at the bottom along with a jump to the very bottom, hey it gets me going faster than flatlands and its all loose rock so....

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    sickspeed . . . will this be your first race? how old are you? you racing intro? good luck dude.

Shred all that can be
    first downhill yes, been riding two wheels since I was four but decided that I enjoyed riding downhill more than pedaling uphill I've been 20 since april and no I'm racing Amature, whats the point of paying the same price as everyone else to enter if you don't even have a chance of being "rewarded" for your efforts. I'm partially sponsored by the local bike shop (discounts on parts and free labor) I get a pit tent and my friend who works there will be coming to all my races to be my mechanic, but I'm always looking for more people to ride with, or maybe show me a few tricks of the trade. Don't get me wrong I feel like Downing is my calling from the two wheeled world and I feel like I am pretty fast for just starting out, but I guess I wont really know until I place or if I dont at all.

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    yo sickspeed how did your race go? i have a type of story to tell about that weekend. let me know.

mtbr member
    yea how did you make out sickspeed? i dont recon i saw you at all. but i kinda forgot anyway haha. the AM class got shafted with the rain. i took 8th in AM with a 3:28 outta 52 riders so im pretty pumped. class was soooo stacked with good riders.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ Have the results been posted yet?

I got a 3:36 with a siezed front fork and air horn strapped to my handle bars, that and the fact that we (am class) definately got shafted with the rain and mud made for a sit down and cruise race run haha. Even tho it wasn't much of a serious run, still interested to see where I landed lol

Shred all that can be
    Heh, funny you have a type story, I'd like to hear the extent of it, but first let me tell you mine. Well, my first ride up the gondola went REALLY well, nice view, I could see my tiny blue pit tent from really high up, yeah. Then there was my first trip down, being a novice/eager child I chose baptism by fire and decided to not even walk the race course and just "go" for it...mistake #1. Well needless to say my front brake's "main piston" shot itself in the head so I had no front brake mid way through which resulted in tree #1. So $99 later I had a new front brake! Ok run # 2 got halfway through and my gears started jumping like mexican jumping beans on cinco de mayo... which somehow resulted in tree/rock # 2. Later I found out I bent my front two chainrings into an oval . to shorten things up, I bent two deraillure hangers, my derailure, I had kinks in all my deraillure lines, I hit two to three more trees, the very large puddle at the end of the really rocky section I decided to see how deep it really was by diving in it, I completely engulfed a tree on the left side and would have broken my collar bone if it wasn't for my chest protector (bruised sternum though ) And FINALLY on my race run I had everything fixed I felt pretty good and my bike finally decided to not have problems! until my chain decided it didn't wan't to be there anymore as I got through the technical section. its still somewhere on the mountain, if you saw it and picked it up I would be greatful to have it back. my time was 5:07. WHOOO.

Shred all that can be
    I did have one really good run through the tech section though I took the inside line (to the left of the tree before the slanted rocks) and I guessed my time was around 4 min, not great, but hey it was my first downhill so...

Shred all that can be
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile chernobyl
    ^ Have the results been posted yet?

I got a 3:36 with a siezed front fork and air horn strapped to my handle bars, that and the fact that we (am class) definately got shafted with the rain and mud made for a sit down and cruise race run haha. Even tho it wasn't much of a serious run, still interested to see where I landed lol
    Front fork seized that sucks man, and that horn was loud as hell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heh, funny you have a type story, I'd like to hear the extent of it, but first let me tell you mine. Well, my first ride up the gondola went REALLY well, nice view, I could see my tiny blue pit tent from really high up, yeah. Then there was my first trip down, being a novice/eager child I chose baptism by fire and decided to not even walk the race course and just "go" for it...mistake #1. Well needless to say my front brake's "main piston" shot itself in the head so I had no front brake mid way through which resulted in tree #1. So $99 later I had a new front brake! Ok run # 2 got halfway through and my gears started jumping like mexican jumping beans on cinco de mayo... which somehow resulted in tree/rock # 2. Later I found out I bent my front two chainrings into an oval . to shorten things up, I bent two deraillure hangers, my derailure, I had kinks in all my deraillure lines, I hit two to three more trees, the very large puddle at the end of the really rocky section I decided to see how deep it really was by diving in it, I completely engulfed a tree on the left side and would have broken my collar bone if it wasn't for my chest protector (bruised sternum though ) And FINALLY on my race run I had everything fixed I felt pretty good and my bike finally decided to not have problems! until my chain decided it didn't wan't to be there anymore as I got through the technical section. its still somewhere on the mountain, if you saw it and picked it up I would be greatful to have it back. my time was 5:07. WHOOO.
    brutal... just, brutal lol

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    ok. so i left my house around 9 am on saturday. M1 in the back seat, and a bunch of armor and clothes. the drive took two and a half hours and i was crazy excited so it didnt seem that long. i got there, got my bike out of the car, registered ($70 for intro. BTW did intro even race? because in the video i watched on pinkbike, the podium only had pro and am or maybe they dont even put intro on the podium.) so i get on the gondola and watched the scenery go by beneath me. when i got to the top, i got off the gondola onto the unusually slippery deck. i didnt know where the starting block for the race was and i was soo excited to take my first ever downhill ride so i just took some random trail. (and i noticed that EVERY trail is a black diamond ) the trail was dry and relatively rocky. so i got through that trail and got onto the really wide one (or one of the really wide ones) and bombed it. i think i went the fastest ive ever gone on a bike (excluding my dirtbike). and i was going down this thing fast as $h!tt and hopping over the ruts when i start to notice i was hitting rim in the front. my first ever DH run gave me a flat. so i got off my bike and walked about a hundred yards to the bottom to put a new tube in. i had one in my camelback so i put it in and pumped it up then i went to take off the pump and the valve stem cracked so yea i go inside and ask for a tube. buy the $6 regular. go back out, pump it up, go to take off the pump, rips the valve stem clean out. so i go back in, buy another, and this one finally works. i get back on the gondola and ask a guy where the start is. i deffinately took the hard way to the block once i get there, i start riding down the course. now, ive been riding BMX for 3 years religiously so i have plenty of flow and can take any drop; and smooth and fast is soo fun. but seeing that the first half of the course was a rock garden, i was clueless. ive never done these things. and on top of it, you all know it was wet and muddy. so i finally get through that (after cliping a tree with my unprotected shoulder. and basically skidding my back tire the whole time.) i get into the berms and blow through them cuz they're awesome . i take the course a few more times all with the same feeling of 'out of control'. i take another run and stuff the front wheel, go over the bars, and slam the bone of my hip (which was also unprotected) into the square edge of a rock. now i can barely walk and pedaling hurts. but i get to the bottom and decide to take one more run, but not the course, the one down the middle with the drops. so i was going down the wide trail and find a trail in which i thought was the trail i was looking at on the gondola that cut through to the drops. this trail was hardcore!! i was going through the rocks, slowly but surely, and a drop off a boulder comes out of nowhere. it caught me off guard and i pulled the back brake. theres no way im going to stop in time so i bail and try to catch my bike. i dont so it falls to the bottom. once it gets there, the boulder to the left of it hits the fork. i was like ' i hope that didnt hit my stanchion.' i jump down to check, pick up my bike and look. huge F****** SCRATCH!!!! after some vulgar screaming, i ride down the rest of the mountain and hit the drops i wanted to. i get to the bottom and my fork is covered in oil, and its not smooth at all. so i leave the mountain and sleep for the night. the next morning i get up and thought "im still going to race but the only run i will take will be the race run" so i go back to the mountain and start getting my bike back out of the car. both my tires are flat after a while of staring at my bike and thinking, i decide that i should just drop out and ill try next time on june 29.

BTW the fork is a 06 888RC2X. i tried sanding it down and filling it with clear nailpolish but the nailpolish was torn off by the seal. what can i do? where can i get a stantion and how much will it cost? any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    -RPFW

mtbr member
    lol damn you guys had it rough this weekend. i only fell 5 times i think thats a new record for me in one weekend. haha.

Shred all that can be
    Wow, I don't know who's is worse yours or mine... I think its in favor of you though due to your fork getting well... forked.

Shred all that can be
    HT, I'm walking the course early friday with Aztojrse (SP) I still don't know if you two know each other in which case I will see you anyway but I'm sure the more the merrier. Just call when you get there (once again if your not already going/meeting with above stated person(s)).

Probably would help if I left my phone number: 1-609-947-7472

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    HT, I'm walking the course early friday with Aztojrse (SP) I still don't know if you two know each other in which case I will see you anyway but I'm sure the more the merrier. Just call when you get there (once again if your not already going/meeting with above stated person(s)).

Probably would help if I left my phone number: 1-609-947-7472
    you mean tomorrow? i wish i could get back out there. why would you walk it tomorrow? are you going to the june 29 race? do you think it will be the same course? i dont know why i have soo many questions haha. but yea, id love to ride with you if i could.

Shred all that can be
    Dude, tomorrow's the start of the U.S. Freakin' Open! Your not gonna be there?!

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    i cant!!! bike is out of commission you racing though?

Shred all that can be
    Wow that SUCKS! Yeah man, I'm doing AM.

Shred all that can be
    wait your headtube isn't a 1.5 in. is it?

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    no. 1 1/8 why?

mtbr member
    hey man im sure i seen you some time during this past weekend. i seen AZ a bunch so im sure i seen ya. hope your feelin better dude. maybe racin isnt for you, just chill out and do some light riding man.

yuroshek

Supercutie =O)
    Oct 2006
    why do you say that racing isnt for me? i feel like if i put as much determination in it as i do in bmx i'll do well. but maybe thats just me. but then again that was my first day ever going down a downhill trail.

Shred all that can be
    I think he's talkin to me, I landed on my head in the rock garden had a seizure and now have a small bloodspot on the brain.

Members who have read this thread: 0