DHX spring questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DHX spring questions

I was looking at a the shock i recently got, Fox DHX 3.0 and i saw the spring was 450lb, which i thought was kinda heavy for me (i weight 165 with gear and dont do anything too big). the original spring i had on my bike (iron horse 7point3) has a scratch right over the number, it looks like 350, it was the original spring, but for a 5th element shock. the dhx spring is 5.5in long x 2.8in stroke, the 5th element one is 6 3/8 long x 2.75in stroke (i think) i can make the 5th spring fit into the fox shock by adjusting the large nut on the body. i think the 5th element is like .25in bigger in diameter too but idk if that would matter.

am i doing anything that could hurt the shock/my bike/me? i am doing it for a smoother ride cuz i do mostly downhilling and almost never bottom the DHX now, even at a very low psi.

thanks for the help
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by po0ptruck
    I was looking at a the shock i recently got, Fox DHX 3.0 and i saw the spring was 450lb, which i thought was kinda heavy for me (i weight 165 with gear and dont do anything too big). the original spring i had on my bike (iron horse 7point3) has a scratch right over the number, it looks like 350, it was the original spring, but for a 5th element shock. the dhx spring is 5.5in long x 2.8in stroke, the 5th element one is 6 3/8 long x 2.75in stroke (i think) i can make the 5th spring fit into the fox shock by adjusting the large nut on the body. i think the 5th element is like .25in bigger in diameter too but idk if that would matter.

am i doing anything that could hurt the shock/my bike/me? i am doing it for a smoother ride cuz i do mostly downhilling and almost never bottom the DHX now, even at a very low psi.

thanks for the help
    DHX's have a really tight tolerance for a springs outer diameter. I would just buy a Fox spring w/ the proper length and weight. They're around $30, so it's one of the cheaper things you can buy for your bike.

mtbr member
    i slide the 5th spring onto the DHX body and it fits fine, its only like .125" closer to the piggyback than the regular one.
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'll trade you a 350 for your 450...its a stock Fox spring.

mtbr member
    i slide the 5th spring onto the DHX body and it fits fine, its only like .125" closer to the piggyback than the regular one.
    That's uncompressed. It may rub a bit into the travel. Go for it though, it might work. I'd just dish out the $30 for the proper spring though.

mtbr member
    i'd like to use this one if i can, cuz it is a huge bucking fitch to get that shock out and i want to ride it. ill definatly keep that in mind if this won't work out.

mtbr member
    i'd like to use this one if i can, cuz it is a huge bucking fitch to get that shock out and i want to ride it. ill definatly keep that in mind if this won't work out.
    Ugh, I don't understand why people are so lazy w/ their $1,000+ rigs. W/ the current Fox spring are you getting the right amount of sag? You could throw the progressive on there if not and jump up and down on the pedals for a bit in your front yard to see if it rubs the piggy back. If it doesn't go for a ride and check after a the first run. No rub? You're golden. If it rubs, get the right Fox spring.
    Now that I think about it you should be fine w/ the progressive. Ti springs have a bigger OD and most weights don't rub until you get into the 500lbs range.

mtbr member
    i put the 5th spring on the 5th shock, and its really really close to the piggyback, on the DHX shock its about twice the distance away. im definatly going to bounce around in the yard before i even think about hitting the trails.

it took me about 2 hours to get the shock out, mainly cuz the shock mount has play in it and it gets all marred up. nothing i can do about that tho, even the sunday shock mounts have play in them.

mtbr member
    The DHXs tend to rub on the BO knob, and since you've got a 3, it lacks that knob and probably won't rub.

mtbr member
    thats good, ill probably have to lessen the rebound dampening but what about the psi? i keep it at like 85-90 usually will it have to go up down or same?

mtbr member
    You might want to up the boost pressure a bit. Experiment.

mtbr member
    ya i thought so, it should be a softer ride tho, although it can't really get that much smoother that DHX is soo much better than the 5th element, that thing was crap.

Glad to Be Alive
    450 is what they told me to use with my 210 pound body...I needed a 550 though

ride it and feel it out first
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0