DHX Spring Dilemma- Mtbr.com
    N* Bomber Crew

DHX Spring Dilemma

Alright folks, need some suggestions.

So, I build up my DHR with Fox DHX 5.0 and I've been conteplating between a 450# spring and 400#, right now I have a 450# spring. I weigh about 180.

As of now, the shock feels pretty balanced I have a good 2" of sag. (The DHR has 8.5" total travel). The suspension paired with a 888 SL ATA feels pretty good, I matched the SLATA to the DHX pretty good.

Now I've called around asking what spring to use, Turner gave me the advice that I can choose whichever one I please since 180lbs puts me in the middle.

Riding it around with me trying as hard as possible I can just about bottom out the rear. I have the bottom out resistance all the way open, and about 80 PSI in the Boost Valve. Rebound is on super slow.

For mostly Northstar riding, do you guys suggest I stick with the 450# or step down to the 400#? It seems like I could go either way, but in a time where I'd like to save my money if I should stick with the 450#, I will.

Or am I making this issue way too dramatic?

You tell me! Thanks.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sometimes spring choice is beyond #'s and becomes a personal choice. With that said I usually end up with a few springs and spend time on each. Only then will you know you have made the right choice.

moaaar shimz
    I would go for the 400 for more sag, maybe some 2.75 inches of sag or so.. but that's just me.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Running a stronger spring with no preload is always better. Less chance of coil bind. Sag should be around 25% of total travel. Sounds like the #450 should be perfect. Too much sag at Northstar will often make your cranks and bash guard hit more rocks. As low as the DHR sits you might not want any more sag.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    Running a stronger spring with no preload is always better. Less chance of coil bind. Sag should be around 25% of total travel. Sounds like the #450 should be perfect. Too much sag at Northstar will often make your cranks and bash guard hit more rocks. As low as the DHR sits you might not want any more sag.
    I think you have the right idea. My BB height sits about 13" as is.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Members who have read this thread: 0