DHX 3.0 Questions- Mtbr.com
    No Fear

DHX 3.0 Questions

I want to see if my shock has any issue’s or is it normal.?
    I opened it from the frame and got the coil off .So its only the damper with its piggy back .

O I forgot to mention what the shock is . Im running a Fox DHX 3.0 .
    With 150 psi of air in the chamber when I compress it with hand it does compress under my hands force .Is this normal or it shouldn’t be like so?

And two other questions As the DHX 3.0 doesn’t have any compression adjustment .Does it mean it doesn’t have compression damper ? Or it has an un adjustable damper?

The other thing is that im bottoming it . On a special drop .A 7 footer flat to flat with no run out .Sometimes when im doing it if I put too much weigh on the rear I feel it bottom out slightly under my feet .
    I have tried some 9 footers with good run out and didn’t bottom it there. The question is as its comp. isn’t adjustable do I need a stiffer coil. I have a 450 coil now on my 2006 Stinky ( I weigh 135 lbs =58 Kgs) .

Meh.
    Yes, you should be able to compress it with the spring off.
    Yes, it does still have a damper, just not adjustable.
    A 7 foot drop to flat WOULD bottom out the shock... All of your vertical movement is being stopped instantly. Drops to flat are hard on bikes. When you drop to transition, the vertical movement transitions into forward movement. It's not abrupt like a drop to flat.

How much sag are you currently getting? When you sit on the bike, how much does the shock compress?

Meh.
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

You can use that spring rate calculator to figure out the appropriate spring rate.

mtbr member
    7ft to flat?

I wonder why you're bottoming.....

mtbr member
    If anything your shock is probably oversprung for your weight. you should be getting around 30 percent sag when mounting (25% or so for drops) your bike. After you have correct sag set the air pressure this does change the compression stroke. Most correctly sprung shocks will bottom on a 7 foot to flat drop (use a tranny ).

If you need better bottom out control you can introduce a small amount of oil into the air reservior (through shcreader valve). While the shock is out of the bike make you can get full trravel ( too much oil will cause hydraulic lock and will end in bent shafts) This will void your warrenty but when done properly will have the same effect as the bottom out control on a DHX5

mtbr member
    i do 93 foot drops to flat on my dhx 5 without any problems, and no bottoming.....just put on a 12000# spring........i'd say if your hitting 9 footers, i wouldn't go with any lighter spring. Try messing around with your preload and air pressure, and see if you can get it any better

Meh.
    Preload won't change the spring rate. It's just going to make the initial travel very harsh.

StraightOuttaCompton
    well, it could be worse, you could be bottoming out a swinger instead of a DHX.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    well, it could be worse, you could be bottoming out a swinger instead of a DHX.

No Fear
    Thanks all for your answers.
    Im looking forward for a DHX5.0 but currently im not into cash.
    You know I used a 500 spring on my rig before ( stock) .I changed it with a friends 450 and realized how much my ridding changed .the 500 was so stif on DH runs for my mosquito weigh
    The shock is fine on other stuff Im having lass than 20% sag and 4 online spring calculators recommended 300-350 springs for me so….

Note XSL’s that preload aint gona change the rate .Exactly right .With adjusting preload you only tell the spring not to start compressing under what force .The more you get the preload it resists bigger bumps with out traveling .
    Ex.=on a 500 lbs/in spring if you preload it half an inch it wouldn’t compress unless a 250 lb force induces it.
    But when it starts to travel’ preload no more is felt .That means with in a 251 lb force it doesn’t react as a 1 lb force but just like a 251 lb force. When the spring starts compressing it doesn’t matter if its fully preloaded or not it’s the same

And for the flat drops .yup your right . On flats the vertical vector of your mass’s acceleration comes into zero in a very small amount of time. On soft landings some of the vertical acceleration is remained .
    Last edited by Iranian-Mechanic; 12-05-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0