DHX 3.0 help- Mtbr.com

Thread: DHX 3.0 help

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

DHX 3.0 help

my friend bought an 05 kona stinky. it came with a fox dhx 3.0. he weighs 145 and if he drops anything bigger than 3 ft it bottoms out. there is 150 lbs of air in the shock. weve tried turning the coil both ways and it hasnt really done much, please help. have a nice day

Former Noob Herder
    that model can be charged upto 200psi. If that doesnt work, then either Kona had the shocks compression/boost valve tuned wrong or there is something wrong with the damper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heggler9
    my friend bought an 05 kona stinky. it came with a fox dhx 3.0. he weighs 145 and if he drops anything bigger than 3 ft it bottoms out. there is 150 lbs of air in the shock. weve tried turning the coil both ways and it hasnt really done much, please help. have a nice day

I had the same thing happen on a dhx 5.0. It would bottom out on everything, it sucked and I thought all other dhx owners with bottomless shocks were liars .

Anyways I sent mine back to Fox and they said their was nothing wrong with it, yet still rebuilt it. I just got it back and have been testing it for 2 days. So far it works really well. It never bottoms out, pedals great, yet still is very plush.

I don't know if the dhx 3 has a bottom out control on it. But if it does you can easily test it by taking the spring off and cycling the suspension with the bottomout control turned on each extreme. If you can't feel any difference then send it back.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy
    I don't know if the dhx 3 has a bottom out control on it. But if it does you can easily test it by taking the spring off and cycling the suspension with the bottomout control turned on each extreme. If you can't feel any difference then send it back.
    it doesnt, it only has the pressure adjustment, with the 70-200psi range. Unfortunatly it'll affect the whole compression range, unlike the uber-cooler DHX5.0.

TNC
    noMAD man

Zedro, is that number from their site?

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    that model can be charged upto 200psi. If that doesnt work, then either Kona had the shocks compression/boost valve tuned wrong or there is something wrong with the damper.
    I've been gone a few days (riding, Zedro, eat your heart out...LOL!), but isn't the info on their site wrong? It had that pressure listed on their site for my DHX 5.0 but the Fox tech said the pressure should only be 75-125 psi. I heard Jm, come up with this same info.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I've been gone a few days (riding, Zedro, eat your heart out...LOL!), but isn't the info on their site wrong? It had that pressure listed on their site for my DHX 5.0 but the Fox tech said the pressure should only be 75-125 psi. I heard Jm, come up with this same info.
    that number is from the tech manual. The difference is in the fact the 3.0 does not have a volume adjustment on the piggyback. I'm guessing the pressure limit for the 5.0 is based on setting a 125psi max limit with max volume, then when the volume is decreased via the boost valve adjuster, the pressure will increase to about 200psi.