Dhf ust or standard dhf 2 ply for tubeless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dhf ust or standard dhf 2 ply for tubeless

I have been running the dhf ust version on 823's for two years. Yesterday I popped both at the same time.

I have read different things where people say the standard version is better for tubeless. I would like to know why....and if you guys just mount them with stans or what.

My only issue with the ust version is they are hell getting on and off of the wheel because the sidewall is so stiff.
    I'm not riding at World Cup speeds so burping isn't a big concern.

Suggestions/thoughts??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run a 2.5 EXO non UST on my AM bike with Stans and it worked great. I added the recommended amount and it held for about a year with no issues. I recently tore a knob off and had to throw a tube in it and noticed that there wasn't much Stans in there. I think it took more than usual to fill all the pores in the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I run a 2.5 EXO non UST on my AM bike with Stans and it worked great. I added the recommended amount and it held for about a year with no issues. I recently tore a knob off and had to throw a tube in it and noticed that there wasn't much Stans in there. I think it took more than usual to fill all the pores in the sidewall.
    Running the same tyres ghetto tubeless (20" tubes). I've heard that ghetto is better than UST for tyre retention, but no personal experience with that.

Edit: Here's where I read that; Ridemonkey Ghetto tubeless thread. I have noticed that the Stans seems to glue the tube to the tyre, maybe that helps. Though as I said, I've never used UST nor blown a tyre off the rim, so I can't comment from personal experience.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 06-02-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Look at the time!
    the dual ply non UST are the strongest. They have the stiffest and thickest sidewalls and are the least likely to get damaged. They can be run tubeless easily but you need tubeless fluid. They are fairly easy (for a DH tire) to get on and off most rims. I have never had trouble with excessive burping or tires popping off, although this will also depend on the rims.

The UST DH tubeless are similar, but the sidewalls are thinner. They are more likely to rip especially on the rear wheel. They CAN be run tubeless with no fluid at all (but I would run fluid anyhow for puncture protection). They are hard to mount on some rims.

The Single Ply EXO is the "weakest". The sidewalls are thinner still, and they are much lighter than the other two. They can be run tubeless just as well as the Dual Ply version, and again you need fluid to do so. Due to the weaker sidewalls, these are more likely to get damaged. They bottom out easier, too, leading to rim damage (or snakebites when running tubes). They seem to sit a little bit looser than the dual ply, so they MIGHT be easier to burp or pop off the rim, although I have not had any problems. Wouldn't recommend these for heavier DH riders especially in rocky terrain due to the thinner sidewalls.

I run a single ply EXO front, Dual ply rear these days with stans fluid. No problems.

I found the UST not worth the extra money.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've had the best luck with two ply, wire bead, DH specific tires. Folding UST DH (I've used Kenda and Maxxis DHF) tires I've used pinch way to easy and burp at the wrong time and wrong place, with bad consequences!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    I have been running the dhf ust version on 823's for two years. Yesterday I popped both at the same time.

I have read different things where people say the standard version is better for tubeless. I would like to know why....and if you guys just mount them with stans or what.

My only issue with the ust version is they are hell getting on and off of the wheel because the sidewall is so stiff.
    I'm not riding at World Cup speeds so burping isn't a big concern.

Suggestions/thoughts??
    how did they pop? Small tear in the sidewall right in the bead area? The old DHF UST and 823's had some issues. The rim on the 823 is very stiff with a sharp edge and the old UST DHF's were quite thin in the bead area. I tried them and went through 3 tires in a couple of months. The regular DHF is pretty much bombproof on the 823 when used with sealant.

That being said I just bought some new UST DHF's and the bead area seems much thicker (also 100g heavier) than the last version I used several years ago.

Huffy Rider
    My hubby has been running the DHF UST tubeless on 823's for a year now with no problems. We mostly ride in rocky AZ. They don't even seem to lose much air when sitting for a week.