DH vs FR- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH vs FR

mtbr member

DH vs FR

whats the difference usually between these two types of bikes

thanks

mtbr member
    Very generally:

DH) Very slack, long wheel base and low bb. Forget any climbing ability.

FR) Little steeper but still slack, shorter wheel base and higher bb. FR bikes can usually be pedaled uphill to a degree, and often have a granny ring up front.

Weights of either variety can be anywhere from 32-45 pounds.

They both overlap in their abilities (big travel, beefy), but DH bikes are a little sketchy on some freeride stunts like skinnys, or anything where you are doing slow, and FR bikes get a little sketchy at high speeds. For beginners to FR/DH I always recommend a FR bike, as they are a bit easier to handle when learning, and they usually do good enough on the DH, esp for beginners.

Go back to school
    Oldskool pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I typically describe FR as Red Bull Rampage and DH as UCI World Cup. FR competitions aren't who makes it to the bottom first, its who goes the biggest with the most style.
    Die to ride, ride to die

Stay thirsty my friends
    Pure DH bikes have double crown forks and single front rings, everything else is debatable.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

SamIAm
    nice. didnt take 50 people to explain it.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Very generally:

DH) Very slack, long wheel base and low bb. Forget any climbing ability.

FR) Little steeper but still slack, shorter wheel base and higher bb. FR bikes can usually be pedaled uphill to a degree, and often have a granny ring up front.

Weights of either variety can be anywhere from 32-45 pounds.

They both overlap in their abilities (big travel, beefy), but DH bikes are a little sketchy on some freeride stunts like skinnys, or anything where you are doing slow, and FR bikes get a little sketchy at high speeds. For beginners to FR/DH I always recommend a FR bike, as they are a bit easier to handle when learning, and they usually do good enough on the DH, esp for beginners.
    I agree but you really don't see dh bikes under 36 pounds
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jackalope Hunter
    DH bikes usually cost more...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Yeah and some FR bikes have dual crowns, but you can race DH one a single crown but do DH bikes jump well? FR bikes don't like rock gardens, but if you're a good rider you can hit gnarly rock gardens on a HT, is 10" of suspension too much? Does suspension matter or is it geometry. DH bikes come with a matching kit to let everyone know how bad as$ you are because you're going to race, wait a FR bike could be ridden with a matching kit. Do these shorts make me look fat? Should I ride in sunglasses, lycra or jeans? Wait if you ride in jeans on skis you're from Texas. Do only DH'ers at Worlds wear skin suits (wait not anymore). Should I drink a PBR or a trendy micro brew? Can you ride DH/FR/AM on a fixie?

Ugh, forget the arguments, oldskookbiker got the general idea there.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

I heart the drops
    DH - usually consists of flashy top of the line kit where riders brag about their "sponsers" because their buddy at a shop gave them a brodeal.
    FR - Usually dusty and beat up they brag about how big they went off that last hit.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    You do if you get an extreme DH Weight Weenie. 32lbs DH bikes do exist. There are plenty of 34, 35 pound DH bikes out there these days. My Blindside weighs 36 pounds, and there are DH frames out now that are over a pound lighter. You take my general spec, on one of those frames and put on single ply tires, and that's 32-33 pounds right there (I'd never run single ply tires, but there are some guys who do on smoother courses).

But I was just trying to throw out a general range. I mean there are Freeride bikes that are over 50+ pounds. My friends Banshee Scream was near 60 pounds and nearly broke my bike rack.

It all depends on how the rider builds up their bike, etc. I'm sure there will be plenty of 32 pound "DH" bikes racing DH at Sea Otter this year.

mtbr member
    FR trails are usually jumpy, bumpy, and have ladders and such. DH trails are bumpy, jumpy, and rocky. that makes them both hard but different.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
    i just love this

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Both disciplines usually wear baggy shorts, thank god lycra rarely is seen in DH or FR

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    There are a few bikes out there like the Scott Gambler that can be adjusted in a matter of minutes to be a DH or FR bike. Best of both worlds. However I mostly keep my Gambler in FR mode since its a bit more responsive and quicker around the corners. But if I was racing in gnarly steep boulder strewn terrain I would switch it back to DH mode. It really is the Swiss Army Knife of bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0