DH tubes vs standard- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

DH tubes vs standard

bike : 05 yeti ASX

riding style: trail oriented with some urban jumping

Question: I just ordered a pair of 2.4 wtb mutanoraptors to replace my boat anchor maxxis DH tires i had on the bike. However, although i plan on switching my tires back to the maxxis' when i ride the lifts, 90% of the time im going to be on trails or jumping off staircases. Should i save the weight and run my regular presta tubes in the mutano's..or do i stick with the burly inner rubber and run the dh tubes. I still dont know what the diff is between the two tubes,(just thickness of the rubber?) Yes the ASX is heavy, but every ounce helps make it more of a trail bike....

mtbr member
    try maxxis free ride tubes they roughly 100 grammes lighter than the maxxis downhill tubes.

thats what i run and you still get the odd puncture but know where near what i used to get.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I don't know if I'd jump stairs on a Mutano. They are only 550g and roll really fast... but the grip isn't as good as it could be on dirt, they wear fast, and they are not as durable as most. I'd save them for long epic rides that are not extremely technical and get something more midweight for the trail like single ply Maxxis Minions or Advantage, Schwalbe Big Betty, etc...

I run dh tubes on the lift, Kenda heavy duty tubes for 2.35-2.7" tires for trail, but use a standard tube in the 2.35 Minion because its tiny. The Kenda is 2x the weight of a regular tube made for xc tires but they really hold up well and REI stocks them. My dh tubes are probably 1.5-2x the weight of the Kendas. The dh tubes/tires add almost 3 lbs, and the dh wheelset another 2 lbs... Two wheelsets is the way to go for an all purpose bike, imo.

Members who have read this thread: 0