DH trails in orange county California?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New question here. DH trails in orange county California?

I’m somewhat new to DH riding; only been riding for a couple of months now. I live in orange county and don’t know too many “downhill trails” most are just dirt trails, which are always fun too, but when you’re ridding a beast of a bike, you want to use it what to was built for.

so does anyone know of any good local trails near the OC, preferably beginner-intermediate trails.

And I also plan on traveling this summer to Yosemite and/or yellow stone and maybe big bear. Does anyone know of any trails up there, or any other places in California that would be fun to take a weekend trip to for DH, or a nice mountain trail?

thank you

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There are trails, but nobody should be telling you about them on the internet. For DH in socal, fight club rules apply. Find some local riders, make friends, then start asking around. If you fall in with the right people, you'll find plenty of stuff to ride.

That said, there is not a lot that really requires a DH bike around here. an aggressive-geo 5-6" bike can handle everything fairly well.

Big bear has good trails, but they don't allow big bikes on the lift (check their website for details). A full day of riding on a small bike there will do wonders for your bike handling skills though.

Finally, I know there's stuff in yosemite, but I haven't the faintest idea where. I would look into Mammoth and Northstar tahoe. both have good bike parks where you can actually use a DH bike. Mammoth has really been stepping up the quality of their park in recent years as well, and they should have a long season this year due to lack of snowfall. I believe they're opening on june 23rd, and possibly earlier depending on what the weather does.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I've never ridden in SoCal and I know where plenty of good spots are. Not exactly, but at least the general area. You should have no trouble finding some. Hooking up with a local is great advice.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

injured reserve list
    Get on the freeway for 10 miles, get off the exit, make a right turn and go forward for 45 mins. turn left at the light and go up the hill to the dirt turnout and hop the fence to get to the trail.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

Trying to be helpful
    Oh here we go, watch the fanboys jump on this post/thread.

Do a search online for Telonics, its in Laguna Beach. Pretty easy to find, its not a secret as some people would have you believe. Hard to keep secrets when people have been riding it for years and even have races there yearly, Leaping Lizard DH - DOH, with top level pros riding, not to mention the tons of spectators, yeah its a huge secret.

Honestly I sometimes think the only reason anyone says anything about TELONICS being a secret is because they're just trying to be part of some elitist club or something. Like it somehow makes you cooler if your in the know about something that they ignorantly perceive others dont know about. Funny thing is anyone who spends anytime @ Alta Laguna Park in Laguna Beach, which is 100's of people on any given saturday knows about Telonics and see's all the riders being picked up/dropped off all day.

Good luck xxaaronp5xx
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks for the advice guys.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    thats a useful post

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Get on the freeway for 10 miles, get off the exit, make a right turn and go forward for 45 mins. turn left at the light and go up the hill to the dirt turnout and hop the fence to get to the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0