DH Titles and standings explanation- Mtbr.com
    Brooklyn Bike Rider

DH Titles and standings explanation

Like most biking events, I am a little lost in the DH titles and series. What is the difference with the World Cup DH and World Championship? Points leader, Eurpoe/USA, UCI/NORBA? I see different series and champions and I'm afraid to say am a little lost in the mist of it all. Can someone dumb it down for me, maybe explain who the actual DH champ would be after it is all said and done? I never really followed any of this stuff, but lately have been intrigued with what is going on. More specifically i noticed the UCI leader is Sam Hill, but i havent seen Sam win the earlier events, except for Mt St Anne. Didnt Steve Peat win 2 event and make him points leader? Anyway someone can break this down for me, and I hope others as well, would be great. Thanks.
    Ruff Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    wikipedia has a bit of info, but heres a quick overview:

UCI = international cycling governing body.
    USAC = USA Cycling (national governing body). similar to NORBA (does NORBA exist anymore?)

UCI World Cup = series of races 6-8 races. riders earn points and rider with the most points at the end of the year is the "World Cup Champion". (think some thing like NASCAR or Formula1...same gist). current is champ is Greg Minaar
    UCI World Championships = one day race. riders represent their countries. winner is the "World Champion". winner also wears the rainbow strip jersey at any UCI race the next year. current champ is Gee Atherton

when you're on the UCI site, there's two different "rankings". one includes all UCI eligible races(overall ranking), one is World Cup ranking. usually the leader is different in both.

Brooklyn Bike Rider
    Thanks brillantesdv. Really explains a lot.
    Ruff Rider

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    norba is dead. from were i sit, it was suicide. with the efforts of some dedicated promoters and skilled trailsmiths, usac is pickin up the pieces and tryin to rebuild our local, state, regional and national champoinonship series into somethin worthwhile and fun yet again. good for them! its gonna be a long road and it's far from perfect but it seems theyre workin hard to get it done, at least from my limited perspective at the jolly roger dh series us nationals 2 weeks ago.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0