DH tires - knob size for dry & dusty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. DH tires - knob size for dry & dusty

My question is...when the mountain is EXTREMELY dry and dusty (loose over hardpack), will a shorter knob profile grip better than taller knobs? I remember reading about some dudes cutting their treads to make a lower profile.

Lets assume both have a low "tacky" compound.

It seems that the taller knobs on my Minion were "washing" out in the soft dry soil.

So I was thinking of trying something new.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I think when you shave off the knobs, you increase the contact of the rubber to the surface, knobs are there to clear dirt, and if you increase the tire's contact patch you get more grip...

I don't know the impact of shaving your tire's knobs, sorry.

for tires with low knobs, IMO the Nokian Gazzaloddi aka Gazza North Shore works well.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member

so...

Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    I think when you shave off the knobs, you increase the contact of the rubber to the surface, knobs are there to clear dirt, and if you increase the tire's contact patch you get more grip...

I don't know the impact of shaving your tire's knobs, sorry.

for tires with low knobs, IMO the Nokian Gazzaloddi aka Gazza North Shore works well.

so you believe that a shorter knob will grip better in extremely dry situations?
    I'm not interested in cutting treads, I just remember reading about it last week.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Contact surface will increase grip on slick hardpack. Taller knobs provide penetration into loose dirt. It depends on how deep the loose stuff is over the hardpack.

The Minions might be washing if you are trying to corner on the "channel" they have between the center and sideknobs (I'm assuming you're using the Minion F) - lean the bike more so the sideknobs are digging straight down.

mtbr member

Durometer/compound?

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Contact surface will increase grip on slick hardpack. Taller knobs provide penetration into loose dirt. It depends on how deep the loose stuff is over the hardpack.

The Minions might be washing if you are trying to corner on the "channel" they have between the center and sideknobs (I'm assuming you're using the Minion F) - lean the bike more so the sideknobs are digging straight down.

I'm looking at some cheap Hutchinson Bulldog 2.5's which are tubeless.
    I notice they have much shorter knobs (and are avail in 2 different durometers...sticky and a harder compound).

Do you think a harder compound (durometer) is best for dry conditions?
    I love super tacky's...but the dry conditions destroy my tread after 1 day of riding.

Disco-Superfly
    I have a good page in decline mag (issue 19 dec, 2005) on page 40 about tire cutting, it has the minion(s) showed with all the cuts for specific things (including loose over hardpack) my camera will be back on wednesday so I can take a picture of it then if you PM me to remind me...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    All I know is my intense 909 works really well in really dusty dry conditions, and that has really tall knobs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't heard much about Bulldog 2.5s, but the smaller sizes were The 2.5 might be ok on the rear, but if you like having front control, try something proven there.
    Gazza 2.6, Nevegal 2.7, Michelin 2.8, Intense 909, etc.

When it's dusty (or snowy for that matter), I like Gazza Jrs - spiky tread with huge corner knobs and they don't slide out like a lot of other tires. They also don't have that "gap" like Maxxis and some others, so they are totally predictable on turn in.

mtbr member

tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I haven't heard much about Bulldog 2.5s, but the smaller sizes were The 2.5 might be ok on the rear, but if you like having front control, try something proven there.
    Gazza 2.6, Nevegal 2.7, Michelin 2.8, Intense 909, etc.

When it's dusty (or snowy for that matter), I like Gazza Jrs - spiky tread with huge corner knobs and they don't slide out like a lot of other tires. They also don't have that "gap" like Maxxis and some others, so they are totally predictable on turn in.
    I've tried all variations of the brands you referenced...but now I run UST tubeless tires only.
    I love the tubeless concept, and the ease of fitting them to the deemax.

I'm thinking of trying the bulldog because it is $20 and UST. PLUS its knobs are WAY smaller than anything I have ever tried.
    If it sucks...oh well $20 gone.

Intense 909, Gazzy, Nevegal....none are UST (except for maybe XC specific).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run the 909 with stans. Ut works pretty well

mtbr member

909 tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I run the 909 with stans. Ut works pretty well
    which rims are you running with the 909's and Stans?

Equal opportunity meanie
    If you want the 909 in tubeless just run the Michi Comp 32 - nearly identical tread pattern except it has one more intermediate knob and is UST I believe.

ride hard take risks
    WTB TimberWolf 2.5
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Be carefull on those Bulldog's. I purchased a set of 2.3's and the actual tread width was barley 2.0.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    WTB TimberWolf 2.5
    Are good for making a chainstay protector out of.....if that.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    so you believe that a shorter knob will grip better in extremely dry situations?
    I'm not interested in cutting treads, I just remember reading about it last week.
    I think that by increasing the contact patch of the tire to the surface, you find more grip.

Though I am not the guy that will cut his knobs for the sake of better loose soil grip.

I run Gazza Jrs, and the knobs are low.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    WTB TimberWolf 2.5
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

ride hard take risks
    Have you tryed them in the silt
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    which rims are you running with the 909's and Stans?

Deetracks with maxxis rimstirps. I run a Michelin DH24 2.2 in the back.

And yes, the DH32 is similar but I run the FRO lites in the 2.5 variety and they are a whole lot lighter than the 32.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah I have to wonder if you've seen the Timberwolf.

Big tall square knobs with fairly soft rubber - hmm, seems like it could work very well on the dust, not sure about hardpack though.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 06-27-2007 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    From what I've read Nevagals work good with anything, but w/e.
    - SmarterChild - contributing to charity says:

This is my *home*, {Straight Outta Compton}:

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    yeah I have to wonder if you've seen the Timberwolf.

Big tall square knobs with fairly soft rubber - hmm, seems like it could work very well on the dust, not sure about hardpack though.
    Yeah. They suck there too. I like tires that actually hook up and have controlled drift and don't spontaneously explode on me.

If I were going to run anything WTB in silt/dust, it would be the Weirwolf 2.5. If I had my choice of anything to run in silt, Minion F, Chunder, Comp 32/16.

The knobs are not all that big, average height, flex badly, and create a horrible profile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah. They suck there too. I like tires that actually hook up and have controlled drift and don't spontaneously explode on me.

If I were going to run anything WTB in silt/dust, it would be the Weirwolf 2.5. If I had my choice of anything to run in silt, Minion F, Chunder, Comp 32/16.

The knobs are not all that big, average height, flex badly, and create a horrible profile.
    Ok, I haven't actually *used* a timberwolf, but they look good...

Yeah, Weirwolf 2.5 is a very good front tire for loose stuff. I've used it on snow too, just currently hooked on Gazzas...

Members who have read this thread: 0