Apr 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! dh tires

I just bought a demo 9
    i was just wondering what size tire i could put in the back
    could i fit a Gazzaloddi 3in tire

also it comes with a marzocchi 888rc
    what size could i fit in that fork

The walrus and carpenter
    First of all the original Gazzaloddi is a terrible tire. I had the 2.6" and it was too stiff, heavy, and didn't have $hit for braking traction. Second no one on earth needs a 3" tire. That fad was over 5-6 years ago. 2.7" tires are fine on that bike and fork. I suggest, if you can't already answer this question for yourself, that you start with 2.5" tires and go up if you absolutely need more traction. Nevegals, Highrollers, and Minions are always the standard recommendations.

Edit: If you feel like you need something hardcore then get the Michelin Comp 32. They are closer to 2.5" than the advertised 2.8". The IMO have more traction than any other tire ever. They are crazy tough too and not THAT heavy.

Disco-Superfly
    get a 2.7 (more like 2.5) mobster or two....or 3 or 4...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ster+Tire.aspx
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    For that 888RC I think that the biggest tire that you can fit is a 2.7 (kenda)
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Glad to Be Alive
    frick the 2.7's...... man I switched to 2.8's and they are too big and heavy....I weigh 210 and ride steeps.....and 2.5's are good enough
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSouthBuilder
    First of all the original Gazzaloddi is a terrible tire.
    Is that the Gazzalodi DH, G, or the Jr.?

The Gazz Jr. is a fine tire in my book.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

The walrus and carpenter
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Is that the Gazzalodi DH, G, or the Jr.?

The Gazz Jr. is a fine tire in my book.
    Gazz. Jr.

No offence but you're pretty new to this right?
    I think if you tried Nevegals or Comp32s you'de change your mind. I too thought they were pretty good until the day I swapped tires. Night and Day difference.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Gazz. Jr.

No offence but you're pretty new to this right?
    I think if you tried Nevegals or Comp32s you'de change your mind. I too thought they were pretty good until the day I swapped tires. Night and Day difference.

The reason I went with Gazz Jrs. is that my LBS has failed (waited a month and a half at most) to bring me my order of a 2.5 Minion DHF and DHR set, and someone was carrying Gazz Jrs, and I jumped on the chance. The shop owner was using them and has won several DH races on those tires (on a hardtail, BTW). So I thought, what the heck.

I would try Nevegals, but they are too expensive for me.

And there is no offense taken in me being a newbie. I am still new to this.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

The walrus and carpenter
    The reason I went with Gazz Jrs. is that my LBS has failed (waited a month and a half at most) to bring me my order of a 2.5 Minion DHF and DHR set, and someone was carrying Gazz Jrs, and I jumped on the chance. The shop owner was using them and has won several DH races on those tires (on a hardtail, BTW). So I thought, what the heck.

I would try Nevegals, but they are too expensive for me.

And there is no offense taken in me being a newbie. I am still new to this.

Yeah I remember your thread. I was kind of wondering why you went with the Gazz Jr. Personally I think your shop owner is a goof-ball for running 2.6" tires on a HT.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Yeah I remember your thread. I was kind of wondering why you went with the Gazz Jr. Personally I think your shop owner is a goof-ball for running 2.6" tires on a HT.
    I'll just run my Gazz Jrs until they become slicks. For me, I think that's the best way to evaluate the product.

BTW, the LBS I had ordered for Minions STILL haven't got any. But they got a pair of Bontrager Big Earls just last week.

The walrus and carpenter
    I'll just run my Gazz Jrs until they become slicks. For me, I think that's the best way to evaluate the product.

BTW, the LBS I had ordered for Minions STILL haven't got any. But they got a pair of Bontrager Big Earls just last week.
    i have 2.7" Big Earls on my 7point. If you can get a deal jump on it. I like em' more than highrollers or Minions but not more than the Nevegal. I don't ever recommend them because the Nevegal does everything they do a little better, are slightly higher quality, and when I do recommend them people just shrug it off. I you keep the Gazz till they go bald you're gonna be on them a LONG time. The rubber is very hard. Thats one of the reasons they don't have a ton of braking traction. They corner ok and are predictable but I hate the feel and they skid too easy.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    . I you keep the Gazz till they go bald you're gonna be on them a LONG time. The rubber is very hard. Thats one of the reasons they don't have a ton of braking traction. They corner ok and are predictable but I hate the feel and they skid too easy.
    Hard compound, eh?

No wonder...

trail fairy
    2.5 Minions what else do ya need 3inch what, theyre for tractors John Deere's
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why on earth would you want something so big?

Even a 2.7 on the back is rediculous. 2.5 maybe, still excessive.

2.5" front 2.2/2.35" rear. You don't need any more.

Is flexy
    I'm not gonna give an opinion for or against big tires but I do know a 888rc will fit a 2.8...atleast a michelin 2.8
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i run a minion dhf 2.7 42a in front and minion dhr 2.5 42a rear....for some reason maxxis tires are a lot more narrow for the same size that my 2.5 nevegals i had previously....anyone noticed?
    ouin! pas pire.

The walrus and carpenter
    Yeah. Everyone's noticed. That topic is brought up in every last thread about tires. Kendas run a little large and Maxxis runs small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Maxxis 2.5 Highrollers are excellent. The knob configuration offers plenty of traction and the construction is extremely puncture resistant.

Bike Ninja |||
    the Demo 9 is a heavy bike period. It wouldn't be wise to throw on some heavy.. heavy tires on there that offer very little traction. The best performing tire I have used thus far is the specialized s-works pin'it 2.5 umma gummy... 60casing 42a center 40a side knobs. other maxxis tires in the 2.7-2.5 range work very well too.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    I also run the minions. 2.5 in the rear and 2.7 up front. No complaints and no flats yet.

Bikes Rule
    A couple of years bakc the 3.0" Gazzis were the in thing. I had em' as well. 26 x 3.0" up front and 24 x 3.0" on the back of my Demo-9 with a Stratos S-8 fork. 54lb mother hucker.

Eventually I discovered that a better tire that weighs half and tracks twice as good is the way to go. My BR has a new set of Maxxis Mobsters and they are tremendous. Also the Highrollers are good but only for use on a DH. On a flat section it feels like I am riding with the brakes on. They are extremely tacky.

Just got a set of DHR/DHF for my other wheelset for the BR. Have not yet tried them out. Last tires set I just got are Arrow Ramped Bite tubeless for the GM.

The Vagrant currently has 24" Arrow Bites that are holding up well. That is my FR HT so I like a wider fatter tire.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    A couple of years bakc the 3.0" Gazzis were the in thing. I had em' as well. 26 x 3.0" up front and 24 x 3.0" on the back of my Demo-9 with a Stratos S-8 fork. 54lb mother hucker.
    What was the logic behind the 3.0 Gazz Jr. huck fad?

mtbr member
    My Gazzalodi 2.3 had far better traction the the Minion 2.3 I had. The Gazzalodi's will never let go in the dry but as soon as it gets a little wet they're terrible. Good thing it's mostly dry here! I only run it as a front.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    The Gazzalodi's will never let go in the dry .

So far, I have been very positive about the Gazz Jr. The Gazzas do have a lot of grip.

Only time will tell if I had made a good decision.

BTW Quarashi, what Gazzas are you using?

Bikes Rule
    Gazzi and Gazzi Jr were the same tread pattern, just different sizes. The Gazzi were 3.0 and the Jr were 2.6.

Each equally sucked balls when riding on rock/wood terrain when wet. Basically like riding on grease or ice.

Dry however they would hook up fairly well. But they were all heavy duty. The 3.0 were nice because you could drop in a heavy duty tube and never pinch flat if you ran a low pressure. It felt like an added 2" of travel when using them.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Gazzi and Gazzi Jr were the same tread pattern, just different sizes. The Gazzi were 3.0 and the Jr were 2.6.

Each equally sucked balls when riding on rock/wood terrain when wet. Basically like riding on grease or ice.

Dry however they would hook up fairly well. But they were all heavy duty. The 3.0 were nice because you could drop in a heavy duty tube and never pinch flat if you ran a low pressure. It felt like an added 2" of travel when using them.

Ahhh, no wonder there was the Gazzalodi huck fad. The tires were tough enough for hucking duties, but overall grip was sacrificed.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I'll just replace the Gazz Jr. with the newer Gazza G... If I could find a pair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get a michelin comp 32 for the front ans a comp 24 for the back, great tire combo, thats what i run, if you are concerned about weight just run ultralight tubes, on the comp 24 just remember to move the nobs connected to the outer row of nobs

Members who have read this thread: 0