DH tire wear ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH tire wear ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DH tire wear ?

A local rider gave me a 2.7 Maxxis Minion 40 compound to see if it would fit in between my 02' Super T's arch - no problem. He said I could keep it as he was going to another set of tires. The height of the treads in fine but the inside of the outer treads has the look of tearing almost a 1/4 the way through. Even though the tread height hasn't worn will the tearing on the outer tread cause any lack of traction? Thanx

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    A local rider gave me a 2.7 Maxxis Minion 40 compound to see if it would fit in between my 02' Super T's arch - no problem. He said I could keep it as he was going to another set of tires. The height of the treads in fine but the inside of the outer treads has the look of tearing almost a 1/4 the way through. Even though the tread height hasn't worn will the tearing on the outer tread cause any lack of traction? Thanx

I think the 40 compound is the softest they make. Depending on terrain and amount of time ridden the knobs can come off in bunches. Ther r sticky but dont last too long. On cornering the loss of those knobs might limit traction.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    I think the 40 compound is the softest they make. Depending on terrain and amount of time ridden the knobs can come off in bunches. Ther r sticky but dont last too long. On cornering the loss of those knobs might limit traction.
    no kidding....and did you even wonder why he was getting rid of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no kidding....and did you even wonder why he was getting rid of them?

WOW that never crossed my mind ! I thought it might have been the fact he was just sponsered by Kenda , maybe he had mentioned he wanted to run a larger tire, also recall that he liked run his hands across those little spikies on brand new tires...

crumb
    WOW that never crossed my mind ! I thought it might have been the fact he was just sponsered by Kenda , maybe he had mentioned he wanted to run a larger tire, also recall that he liked run his hands across those little spikies on brand new tires...
    uh maybe you should have mentioned there was a reason in your 1st post instead of this weak ass comeback. I wouldnt ride the tires, just get new ones
    ETBW
    Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    uh maybe you should have mentioned there was a reason in your 1st post instead of this weak ass comeback. I wouldnt ride the tires, just get new ones
    Uh, didn't know I had to give a full detailed history on the reason the tires were given to me. Thought a simple description would suffice. Zedro rips insight - your assumption of a "comeback" statement is well off the mark.

Glad to Be Alive

sponsored by kenda and giving you a Maxxis....hmmm what Zedro said
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ride them till you make a hole in the tire or at least ride them once and if you wash out turning or riding sidecut then replace them. And before you replace them, find the steepest, wet, newly paved road and wind out your highest gear while leaning as far over the bars as you can and skid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ride them till you make a hole in the tire or at least ride them once and if you wash out turning or riding sidecut then replace them. And before you replace them, find the steepest, wet, newly paved road and wind out your highest gear while leaning as far over the bars as you can and skid.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    To answer your question....YES, the tearing side knobs WILL cause a loss of traction. I speak from experience. I just replaced my front Maxis with the same problem. I love the soft compounds but you have to replace them when they start tearing knobs, not when they they are worn down to slicks like a normal tire.