DH technology -How does VPP hold up?- Mtbr.com

DH technology -How does VPP hold up?

I been outta the DH racing game for quite a while, getting back into riding.

Possibly start racing again next year.

Got a 06 enduro and has been fun to ride w/o lugging around a heavy Dh rig.

I raced the original VPP design for outland back in 96, 6" travel vpp on bushings.

Outland VPP with Risse Champ.

How do you like the new VPP design?

The old design used bushing that would wear out and then the rear end would get sloppy.

How does it hold up in mudd etc? Bearings get wasted fast?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bike Ninja |||
    it's been refined loads in the time since that frame!

SCB uses really cool tapered bearings in their pivots now, seem to handle the stress of the vpp better. Don't get my wrong the vpp does wear out relatively quickly, about one season per pro pack on heavily used dh bikes, but that is reasonable.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

StraightOuttaCompton
    SCB uses really cool tapered bearings in their pivots now, seem to handle the stress of the vpp better. Don't get my wrong the vpp does wear out relatively quickly, about one season per pro pack on heavily used dh bikes, but that is reasonable
    ya and if you have manitou, the shock bushings are bad, and it is even worse. they go out after 5 days at N*, and i don't even race, just ride.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    ya and if you have manitou, the shock bushings are bad, and it is even worse. they go out after 5 days at N*, and i don't even race, just ride.
    Shock DU bushings are completely irrelevant to the VPP suspension architecture. I haven't noticed any unusual DU bushing wear on any of my customer's bikes.

am i missing something in your post

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    please.

stop.

posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Its also really noticeable on VPP's becuase there are a ton of bearings to overhaul. In a single pivot, you generally have a few to do, but a load more on VPP's.

FWIW, I've been running an Uzzi for a year solid with no bearing trouble.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    My bike has several rides on it, and I just recently took it apart, the bearings still roll perfectly
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    please.

stop.

posting.

thank god someone said that
    Last edited by Pistol2Ne; 12-01-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    My bike has several rides on it, and I just recently took it apart, the bearings still roll perfectly
    as they should....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think lighter people have less problems with VPP bearings. I need to change mine every 3 or 4 months on my Blur. My DH rig I don't run VPP but I think it would be worse. My DH rig takes alot more abuse then my AM/XC bike. I am 6'3" and 210 pounds.

Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wear on the bearings depends on the manufacturer's design, not the nature of the suspension. Single pivots typically last longer because the bearings are quite large. But that doesn't mean all multi-pivot bikes have tiny bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=chooofoojoo]it's been refined loads in the time since that frame!

SCB uses really cool tapered bearings in their pivots now,

Tapered bearings ??? SCB uses full complement roller bearings.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bearing on your vpp systems won't wear out fast if you know how to take care of your bike .. i run VPP systems since 3 years now .. been on vpfree and a V10 for the last 3 years .. now im on a lapierre .. i never had to change my bearings every 3 or 4 month.. i was racing those rigs and abusing them like crazy .. i change bike every year thought .. but i never change my bearings .. i think only once on my V10 2006 after 9 or 10 month of riding ..

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    please.

stop.

posting.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    want to see a marzocchi fork???

Lord of the Chainrings
    My VP-Free has held up well for 3 years now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by gab26
    I think lighter people have less problems with VPP bearings. I need to change mine every 3 or 4 months on my Blur. My DH rig I don't run VPP but I think it would be worse. My DH rig takes alot more abuse then my AM/XC bike. I am 6'3" and 210 pounds.
    Same weight as you, my vp is going on strong 6 months plus now no signs of bearings acting funny.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by gab26
    but I think it would be worse.
    Good to know you're using your imagination. I imagine you bursting into a ball of flame... good thing that what I imagine isn't always reality

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Conditions also play a role in bearings. From my understanding, mud really mucks up bearings. But I'm almost never in mud except for in summer races

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    want to see a marzocchi fork???

I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

thanks for all the feedback. I am close to 200lbs so I am heard on bearings and I ride in the mud.

Bike Ninja |||
    [QUOTE=keen]
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    it's been refined loads in the time since that frame!

SCB uses really cool tapered bearings in their pivots now,

Tapered bearings ??? SCB uses full complement roller bearings.

The inner races on those sealed bearings are tapered, in which it creates a more rigid design, to deal with all the extra stress and flex of the VPP design. they hold up very very well.

sorry for my unclear first post.

mtbr member
    my friend has to replace the bearings on his M3 pretty regularly but he said that you don't feel the slop when you ride. It is far from a stiff rear end.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    I have to change the bearings 1-2x/year on my 2005 VP Free. If you get them wet or ride them in the muck, they will start squeaking like a mofo guaranteed. Check the SC forum for more details on bearing squeak on the Blur and Nomad as well. I understand that the Intense bearings do not have to be maintained as often. I am told by SC that the new Propacks are not as bad as the old bearings, but haven't changed mine in the last 6 months.

I found that after they've been squeaking that if I spray the bearings with Triflow or similar lubricant, it will stop for awhile, but start up after several rides again.

I've been told that the SC bearing mounts are the weak link, they are held in by Loctite. Another bike shop told me that the grease wears out on the pins, and that removing them, greasing them and re-installing will quiet things down for awhile. In any event, these bearings need maintenance (replacement or re-greasing) when they get wet, so be forewarned. I'm pretty sure the bearings themselves are not the problem it's probably the pins or friction mounts on the frames, but it's the design of how the bearings are installed that's causing the noise. Afaik, the bearings are not wearing out, just making noise.

Members who have read this thread: 0