DH Newbie - few questions please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

DH Newbie - few questions please!

Hi all, I just got into DH and am having a blast, however I have a few questions:

My bike is a 2004 Giant DH Comp, Marzocchi 888R forks, Manitou 6-way rear shock, jucy 7 brakes, and a bunch of other nice stuff. I bought it used, but in near-mint condition. Here are my questions:

1) The rear linkage squeaks during the initial part of compression, but is fine after that. I find this quite annoying, and figure that it has to be fixable. Anyone know how to fix this? I think the linkage has all sealed bearings so I don't know if I can grease anything or not. It functions perfectly, I am just really annoyed by the sound.

2) How do you wash your bikes? I can't imagine it's good for all the joints/pivots/gears/chain to be blasted with water. On the other hand, if you don't use water, it is likely that dust/dirt will remain stuck in many crevaces and pivot points perhaps doing more damage. I am just wondering what the best way to clean the bike is. I would like to clean it after every ride.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am pretty new to all of this but I am having an absolute blast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would just grease all your pivot points(I had this same problem with my bike). For washing I just rinse mine down with a hose. Try to avoid getting too much water power around your bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    yeah dont worry about the water too much , just as long as you hand wash with a rag or somthing your bottom bracket, if you get water in there it can mess with the grease and youll start to hear grinding when you pedel, but other than that you can go to a car wash or somthing and just use a power sprayer on everything else, thats what i do its easy fast and it gets the job done really well. but be sure to clean your chain with a dry rag after wards and then lube it. i recomend original white lightning lube, that stuff is amazing, just dont get the spray can it sucks

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to grease the pivots...pretty much all FS bikes require greasing the pivots from time to time.

I have had great luck with Lithium based marine/automotive grease from an auto parts store....the stuff made for boat trailer axels and such. It sheds water well and does not pack up with dirt as bad as other greases.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i too had the same problems with my reign i think giant must have used some crappy pivots cause most everybody that i talk to has the same squeaky noise, just put a little bit of lube and wipe off the excess and it takes the noise away strangely even though they are sealed. Also i wouldn't reccomend using white lightning on the pivots because dirt and grime stick to the wax and then you have the same problem, the white lightning on the chain works great though

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by systmrocks99
    I would just grease all your pivot points(I had this same problem with my bike). For washing I just rinse mine down with a hose. Try to avoid getting too much water power around your bottom bracket.
    or even a lite coat of chain lube

I use a wet towel and wipe down the bike...unless it is covered in mud ...then that is the only time I use the hose and I don't spray it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by string
    Sounds like you need to grease the pivots...pretty much all FS bikes require greasing the pivots from time to time.

I have had great luck with Lithium based marine/automotive grease from an auto parts store....the stuff made for boat trailer axels and such. It sheds water well and does not pack up with dirt as bad as other greases.
    If they are sealed cartridge bearings you can't really grease them, just replace them as needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys.

I think I will stick to my method of cleaning which is a wet rag, toilet brush, and tooth brush. I won't be spraying my bike.

For the squeaking noise, what I will likely do before my next big ride is just take it into a shop and have them look at it and make sure everything is in perfect working order.

Anyone know how much it would cost for a bearing kit for the rear linkage? I think there is only one link that does not have a sealed bearing in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Spraying your bike is fine. But like you said, don't blast it into pivots and bearings and you'll be fine

Bike Ninja |||
    I don't wash my bike. when you think about it, a molecule of water is infinitesimally smaller then a particle of dirt, and sealed bearings are meant to keep dirt out. Water can EASILY get into pivots, even sealed ones. keep things to the towel and brush.

The squeaking noise is probably just pivots lacking grease. the bolts and such going through the actual bearings are probably the culprit. take it apart and grease it up.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys, some good suggestions here, hopefully I can solve my problem!

Big Test Icycles
    I use Tri-Flo and drip it into the pivot and wipe up the rest. Washing your bike is up to you, depends how much time you want to spend on it. I find the Tri-Flo works well and lasts

Members who have read this thread: 0