DH Newbie- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH Newbie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

DH Newbie

I'm taking my son to Trestle in Winter Park this weekend. We ride cross country a lot but since we ride front range in CO it's a lot of climbing and a lot of downhill so we have downhill experience, but not real crazy technical downhill experience. We're doing the full rental with bike and body armor. My questions is do we just wear bike shorts and regular tennis shoes along with the body armor or go clipless with regular gym shorts? Just want to make sure we have as much fun as possible. TIA
    Last edited by Stymie2000; 07-26-2016 at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Trestle also rents 510's. These are way better than tennis shoes. Baggy MTB shorts will be fine. Something that wont get pulled down around your ankles when you take a tumble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info WerkBMX!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Bike shorts are fine. Tennis shoes are fine. Something like 5.10s would be more ideal, especially starting out, but if you are already comfortable on clipless, you probably wouldn't have any problems. If you aren't comfortable on a DH bike or actual technical DH terrain, running flats would probably be the better way to go to start out. Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun. The runs are usually rated similar to ski runs, so just start out on a green or blue and see how you feel and work your way up. There's no doubt you guys will have fun if you're comfortable on bikes already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking tennis shoes but I'll definitely look into the 5.10s. I ride CC on clipless but if I get into rough downhill I tend to unclip. Not the best thing to do but as many times as I've crashed while clipped in I'm more cautious. Can't wait to give it a try!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stymie2000 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking tennis shoes but I'll definitely look into the 5.10s. I ride CC on clipless but if I get into rough downhill I tend to unclip. Not the best thing to do but as many times as I've crashed while clipped in I'm more cautious. Can't wait to give it a try!
    You can also have the rental shop pull off the flat pedals and have them put your clipless pedals on. Probably not a huge deal either way. You'll be on a bike that is a bit strange to you, but having a pedal/shoe combo you are familiar with can help.

However, if you think you are going to head towards steeper more technical advanced runs where you would normally unclip, then you're probably better off with flats.

One thing to be careful of with flats, is jumping. If you've been on clipless a while, you may have some bad habits (pulling up the rear of the bike with your clipless pedals) that will get you into trouble. If you're going to be hitting any jumps or drops, start small and make sure your feet are staying on the pedals.

As for apparel, any baggy mtb short will probably be fine. Skip the spandex if that is normally what you wear for XC, as it doesn't give you any protection. If you don't have baggy mtb shorts, go with something like cargo shorts.

I'd skip the gym (basketball style) shorts, as they tend to be baggy in the crotch and tend to get hung up on your saddle.

As for shoes if you go with the flat pedals, light weight tennis (running) shoes may work OK, but don't give you a lot of protection for your toes or ankles. If you have some heavier duty trail running or lightweight hiking shoes that may serve you better. Full on hiking boots are too big and clunky though. Skate style shoes would work too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey i'll be up there Saturday. Like others are saying though... something comfortable will be fine. I see people up there all the time with tennis shoes on rentals and they seem to be doing fine. Skate shoes would defintaly be better or some 5.10s would be great but if its your first time DH... I wouldn't clip in. Good luck and maybe i'll see you out on the trail!